Thread: Addons?

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
12
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Dreadlord Rakeer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The realm of Torment
    Posts
    892
    Hopefully there won't be any game breaking addons. But maybe some instore ones that would help out with some off beat kinda things. Like auctioneer, atlasloot, etc. in WoW. That would be fine, just nothing to give a huge advantage.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Armida View Post
    ...like you couldnt tell I havent played GW1 yet

    But here it goes: Are there any need for addons at all? Will there be?
    Having sort of come back to GW 2 days ago after quitting back in early 2007, there is at least one thing I would really want, and that's enemy party display in arenas.

    I'm just too used to it, and finding it really hard to play without it. I don't think there are any addons for that though.

  3. #23
    You wont really need them, key bindings at most.
    A man chooses, a Slave obeys. OBEY! - Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

  4. #24
    Mechagnome Dr. Max Del's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    On some floating rock
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewote View Post
    I hope there won't be any addons, they destroy games to be honest.
    i would have to agree and disagree with that.

    AVR is a good example of trivializing encounters(lmao...)

    however there are some addons that can improve the ui like bartender being able to move, stack and shrink bars. in addition to that there's also frame mods that can shrink, change, and hide(if you want to) a frame and what info you want explicitly explained(wow's pet default frame comes to mind with improving visibility w/ an addon. my biggest gripe with wow's ui is that it's customization is very limited and getting past it requires modding. (their defult scrolling combat text is fun w/ aoe!)

    recount and dbm are good tools when used and customized right.
    dbm allows you not to count in your head on when the last time a skill was used. blizz has started to give players more information in yellow text alerts on encounters, boss frame, and the dungeon journal which is all very nice. im not asking for a video on the boss i just want something like libra/scan or w/e you want to call it to find a weakness
    players link recount all the time but some dont know how to use it(linking overall dps instead of the specific encounter and damage done)
    Last edited by Dr. Max Del; 2011-10-09 at 03:50 AM. Reason: i r gud wit engrish
    Sig: Left-aligned forms are the slowest of the three to complete because of the number of eye fixations they require to parse.

  5. #25
    Brewmaster Neglesh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,401
    The only addon I could think that would be considered for GW2 is a damage meter and that is NOT needed at all.

    Dungeons is all about teamwork anyways - there are NO DPS rolls so a damage meter makes it kind of redundant.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Neglesh View Post
    The only addon I could think that would be considered for GW2 is a damage meter and that is NOT needed at all.

    Dungeons is all about teamwork anyways - there are NO DPS rolls so a damage meter makes it kind of redundant.
    Recount atleast is used for much, much more than just checking one's dps. For example it's a good way of checking that no one in the raid is slacking and just pretending to be there, letting the rest of the group do all the work. Another use for it is to check what just happened if someone dies suddenly and no one is sure why. Not to mention things like tracking damage taken, or interrupts.

    You see, if the only thing you can think of in a meter is dps/damage done then you're really just lacking imagination. And even a dps meter can be useful for checking your own progress and trying different kinds of rotations and seeing which one yields the best result.

    It's not the tools that make people play poorly, it's the people that use tools as an excuse for playing poorly.
    - Hand: n., A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody's pocket. - Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by GayGirlie View Post
    Recount atleast is used for much, much more than just checking one's dps. For example it's a good way of checking that no one in the raid is slacking and just pretending to be there, letting the rest of the group do all the work. Another use for it is to check what just happened if someone dies suddenly and no one is sure why. Not to mention things like tracking damage taken, or interrupts.

    You see, if the only thing you can think of in a meter is dps/damage done then you're really just lacking imagination. And even a dps meter can be useful for checking your own progress and trying different kinds of rotations and seeing which one yields the best result.

    It's not the tools that make people play poorly, it's the people that use tools as an excuse for playing poorly.
    Meh, you know it. People will stare at that top dps meter, the will care for the most part about that top of the healing meter, and yes in this case it is that tool that makes a big part of the game so elitist,less communal and caused what used to be a great game with a good community into utter *****.

    If GW2 sets out to create a game with a stronger sense of community, removing some of the things that other mmos have (like WOW) that caters the elitist,the whiners and immature people I hope they will limit the need for addons. Creating a game with people more interested in helping others, working as a team, creating a good environment to be in, addons like Recount will surely not contribute to that imo.
    Last edited by Armida; 2011-10-09 at 10:47 AM.
    X:"Echo?"
    Echo: "What?
    X:"Echo?"
    Echo: "What?!"
    X: "Nothing"

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakeer View Post
    Hopefully there won't be any game breaking addons. But maybe some instore ones that would help out with some off beat kinda things. Like auctioneer, atlasloot, etc. in WoW. That would be fine, just nothing to give a huge advantage.
    I really dont think atlasloot will be needed. In GW1 you could enter the GW wiki by pressing a key in game

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by GayGirlie View Post
    Recount atleast is used for much, much more than just checking one's dps. For example it's a good way of checking that no one in the raid is slacking and just pretending to be there, letting the rest of the group do all the work. Another use for it is to check what just happened if someone dies suddenly and no one is sure why. Not to mention things like tracking damage taken, or interrupts.

    You see, if the only thing you can think of in a meter is dps/damage done then you're really just lacking imagination. And even a dps meter can be useful for checking your own progress and trying different kinds of rotations and seeing which one yields the best result.

    It's not the tools that make people play poorly, it's the people that use tools as an excuse for playing poorly.
    This is all true.

    Although, Recount has so many good uses, only one get uses by 90% of people. We don't need a recount style addon in GW2 though, as you will be able to see quite easily who is participating and who isn't, and if people want good rewards from DE's they've got to participate to their fulliest to receive it. DPS is kind of redundent in GW2 as it's more about how/when you use your utilities and other skills that will matter more than who puts out the most damage.

  10. #30
    Although I am an Addon freak, because I love "playing" with my interface a lot, Addons made big issues in WoW in the long run, from DPS meters, Boss mods, interrupt bars, timers, to addons that were breaking the game too much so blizz had to find ways to disable them.
    Yes it is a shame that the community uses some of them the wrong way, but from my experience with MMOs it is better to have the developers decide how the interface would work and limit the addons made by users, than create a basic interface and let the community go crazy on addons. It just creates too many problems.
    So, I would much rather GW2 not allow addons but have a highly customizable interface instead.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    This is all true.

    Although, Recount has so many good uses, only one get uses by 90% of people. We don't need a recount style addon in GW2 though, as you will be able to see quite easily who is participating and who isn't, and if people want good rewards from DE's they've got to participate to their fulliest to receive it. DPS is kind of redundent in GW2 as it's more about how/when you use your utilities and other skills that will matter more than who puts out the most damage.
    Just so you people don't get the wrong idea: I'm not rooting for a Recount-like addon for GW2. I was merely responding to the person mentioning DPS meters and such. As I've said before, all of my favorites are addons that either make things cleaner, easier to see, or ones that make the UI cleaner and less cluttered.
    - Hand: n., A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody's pocket. - Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

  12. #32
    The GW1 interface was pretty lightweight, and I never felt like I'd need any addons, so I hope they design the GW2 interface well enough, but so far it definitely looks good.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by YouAreAllWrong View Post
    So, I would much rather GW2 not allow addons but have a highly customizable interface instead.
    I personally worry the UI will not be customizable enough. Like e.g. most games slap all kinds of hideous extra graphics like dragon heads or whatnot around the main skillbar, making it take a lot more screen-space than actually needed. I'd like to be able to remove all that extra cr*p and just have plain bars, moved to the side out of the way.
    - Hand: n., A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody's pocket. - Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by GayGirlie View Post
    I personally worry the UI will not be customizable enough. Like e.g. most games slap all kinds of hideous extra graphics like dragon heads or whatnot around the main skillbar, making it take a lot more screen-space than actually needed. I'd like to be able to remove all that extra cr*p and just have plain bars, moved to the side out of the way.
    In GW1 you can move and resize/hide anything you want on the UI. I would be surprised if you couldn't edit the basic UI in GW2.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    In GW1 you can move and resize/hide anything you want on the UI. I would be surprised if you couldn't edit the basic UI in GW2.
    Aye, but moving/resizing/hiding UI elements just likely isn't enough. Atleast if there are things like I mentioned around the bars.

    But tbh, I simply do not know yet to make any kind of judgement call either way. Gotta wait until release.
    - Hand: n., A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody's pocket. - Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by GayGirlie View Post
    I personally worry the UI will not be customizable enough. Like e.g. most games slap all kinds of hideous extra graphics like dragon heads or whatnot around the main skillbar, making it take a lot more screen-space than actually needed. I'd like to be able to remove all that extra cr*p and just have plain bars, moved to the side out of the way.
    I don't think that will be an issue, as ArenaNet has stated they are making the UI minimal to allow more focus on the game.

    Currently you have:

    Health bubble
    10 skills
    Unique class bar
    Dodge bar
    Weapon switch button
    Small buffs/debuffs
    Minimap
    and Chat

    These are at the bottom of your screen, which take up about 10-15% of your screen vertically, and 75% horizontally.

    Then you have the Menu at the top left, party right below that (which is a lot smaller than WoW's), and dynamic event tracking at the top right.

    Without any customization at all, this takes up about 15% of your screen.


    As for unnecessary bloat, all there is, is a faint red fog off to the sides of your skills, and for some classes, a class aura around your weapon skills, like the Guardian.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by GayGirlie View Post
    Aye, but moving/resizing/hiding UI elements just likely isn't enough. Atleast if there are things like I mentioned around the bars.

    But tbh, I simply do not know yet to make any kind of judgement call either way. Gotta wait until release.
    Well, the bars don't have any silly artwork around them, they are just the skills in a row with your health bubble in the middle on dodge/charge skill on top.

    Look at the UI, it barely takes up any room on your screen, it's not over the top and doesn't draaw your attention to it when your playing.
    http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/384/gw2ui.png

  18. #38
    I dont think there will be any addons.
    they already said they want you to play the game, not the UI.
    as for recount being usefull for know what ability is good in a certain situation or knowing how you died, they said you will have a very detailed combat log for stuff like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamless
    Heh, ahh the internet. Where the 'glass is half full' and 'glass is half empty' people are both shouted down by the heaving masses of "WAAAAH! I WANT A FULL GLASS! WAAAAAAAH!'

  19. #39
    Honest I hope GW2 doesn't support addons because if they do somehow a DPS meter will be made. Then this will happen : "Omg lol double pistol thief wtf is wrong with you everyone knows shortbow is more dps."
    Quote Originally Posted by Gagdush
    I would drag my dick through a mile of lava just to listen to someone that's installing the beta on Skype.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    Look at the UI, it barely takes up any room on your screen, it's not over the top and doesn't draaw your attention to it when your playing.
    http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/384/gw2ui.png
    Thanks for the link. It sure is nice and clean. I don't really like the health bubble, but as the UI otherwise is clean I think I can handle that.
    - Hand: n., A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody's pocket. - Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •