Thread: ROMs

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Question ROMs

So we all know about the N64 and PS ROMs.... I was wondering, are there ROMs for the older PC games that don't work on computers of nowadays? We're talking games from like the 90s and before.

Some games I'd really like to be able to install and play....

Original Age of Empires
    Original Roller Coaster Tycoon
    X-Wing Alliance
    X-Wing vs T-Fighter
    and so on....

I think the original versions of these games only really worked on like 32bit or even lesser systems... any help would be much appreciated!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you asking if there's an "old computer" emulator? You might try just picking up an old computer and a copy of Windows XP or Windows 2000, that shouldn't run you too much money and will probably provide the functionality you're looking for.

If the games you're interested are old enough (the ones you listed aren't), you could use DOSBox or something like that, which will let you play old DOS games like TES II Daggerfall or the original Prince of Persia. That'll only work for very, very old games though.

Also, with some tweaking, you can get older games to run on a modern computer; I could get Planescape: Torment to run on 64-bit Win7 without much effort, and that came out way back in '99. Try google searching a bit, you can usually find a forum thread or two with some tips.
    Thank you dubbelbasse for the excellent sig!

Pretty sure this is against forum rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultramonkey View Post
    Pretty sure this is against forum rules.
    How would an old OS emulator for PC be against the rules? You can't exactly buy like windows 95/98 anymore
    Druid Paladin Priest Warlock Death Knight Hunter Mage Shaman Warrior Rogue Legendary Epic Superior Uncommon Common Poor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bytes View Post
    2016: Blizzard builds their new HQ on the moon

If you own the games originally, then its not illegal. Hence it should not be against the forum rules. But im not 100%
    Gold selling site spam is an important part of our eco system.

You see, there are currently to many puppies and kittens on this world.
    Every time a Goldseller spams his advertisement on the mmo-champion site, a puppy dies.
    Every time you ignore these threads and don't report them, a kitten dies.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sigh. I can't even install X-Wing Alliance even after turning on compatibility mode.

---------- Post added 2011-10-09 at 03:11 AM ----------

The legality behind ROMs is that if you own the original game then you should have every right to play it, whether if you have to use a ROM or not. I personally would prefer just installing the original versions but I'm not so sure it's going to happen.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Poke around various abandonware sites and you'll find plenty of options.
    (now if only i could find a way to play my Apple IIc Softdisks on 5.25" disks... there's gaming history on there...)

10+ Year Old Account
    i wouldnt even bother with compatability mode or atleast on vista, tried running a windows xp game doesnt allow sound

Dosbox. Many of them are abandonware, and thus completely legal. See Abandonia for details and downloads.

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawsix View Post
    i wouldnt even bother with compatability mode or atleast on vista, tried running a windows xp game doesnt allow sound
    Must be a vista problem because i have quite a few older games installed on windows 7 64bit and they run fine. Ahh fallout and dungeon siege, how i love you
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

Old dos games can be gotten and played here if your talking about old games like doom and what not. http://www.dosgames.com/
    The game should come with a dos emulator