Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Do YOU believe there will be training dummies?

When perfecting a rotation or a priority system, or just simply looking at the damage you can put out, training dummies can be a very useful object in a game. Do you believe training dummies will be put in at launch or more down the road?
    Last edited by Samfroman; 2011-10-09 at 03:54 AM.

Inb4 several posts about "oh this game won't be about the numbers as much as WoW" "I HATE RECOUNT DON'T PUT IT IN THIS GAME" "combat shouldn't be about perfecting your rotation it should be about rainbows and butterflies"

Hopefully they will, I wouldn't be surprised if it will be implemented.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Probably. They're useful. If you go into a flashpoint practicing a new rotation or something and do terrible, you'll just get kicked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    You do know what islands in the ocean do right?
    They float
    true story

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. They will be called Empire characters. Zing!

It would be nice to have a way to test out skills, gear, tactics. Maybe not initially, but an update not far into the launch.

The CE edition will be coming with a jedi training droid, so I would assume there will be some variation of a test dummy in the game. Of course the lack of any recount will make them pretty pointless.

I haven't seen much effort to remove themselves from the MMO mold WoW has created so I'm sure something like that will be put in.

Weren't there droids that Jedi would use to practice deflecting bolts back at? I think so...

They probably will, but I hope they won't be there initially. We all have to learn the game in the first place, training dummies are there for more advanced stuff! We'll all be noobs to start with, so there will be no need for training dummies.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully not; why try and repeat play styles and concepts in a previous game when you can develop new ones? Do you want to keep doing the same thing in ToR that you've been doing in WoW for the past however many years? I'm not looking for a new WoW (right now), I'm looking for a new MMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    well outside of the Training Droid you get from the CE, im guessing yeah there will be 'sparring bots' or something dotted around the main cities.

and tbh I get the feeling with say... 6 months, there will be addons, and a recount style addon will be one of the first to come out
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

I do hope so, Simply so one would be able to sit there practising there rotation/priority system, even if there is not a recount equivilent out for SWTOR yet

They're useful for getting your rotation down, not just for puffing up Recount numbers.

Kinda wish there was a healer equivalent
    one that randomly takes spike damage, raid damage, continuous aoe damage, debuffs etc. Better to practice this than learn it as you go in an actual operation or flashpoint

Quote Originally Posted by Zarasthura View Post
    Kinda wish there was a healer equivalent
    one that randomly takes spike damage, raid damage, continuous aoe damage, debuffs etc. Better to practice this than learn it as you go in an actual operation or flashpoint
    That's what random bgs are for
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    While leveling and training new abilities the dummies were definitely missed.

10+ Year Old Account
    btw, does anyone know what the Training and Mouse droids in the CE actually DO. I think the mouse is just a pet, but what about the training droid? it says it help you in combat but... I dunno...that seems a little TOO useful, for a CE bonus
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Training Driods anyone?
    Or how about Companions that can act as sparring partners as well?

Would be cool I think.

Gallahadd, the Training Driod CE thing might help in combat. I dont know. Bioware has done a lot of really cool things for the CE'ers. I would have gotten that edition myself, but I decided to go with the DD for convenience sake (and I had no interest in the statue at all).
    Last edited by Ghess; 2011-10-10 at 04:37 AM.

If I had to guess what the droid in the CE does, it may be low damage pet for a short duration with a long cooldown, or a companion that all your characters starts with, that doesn't talk, and can no longer be used after you get your first real companion. But those are just guesses, till they nail down the specifics.

Also, if they made it where you could spar with your companions, I would be overjoyed, as that sounds way cooler then a dummy.

You don't need recount to tell you if you are doing better. if the mob takes 5s to kill good job, if it takes 10 min then you need work. that said no i don't think they will nor do i ever want to see meters implemented not because i think they don't matter but i think they take alot of fun out of the games.

Quote Originally Posted by Elyoric View Post
    Hopefully not; why try and repeat play styles and concepts in a previous game when you can develop new ones? Do you want to keep doing the same thing in ToR that you've been doing in WoW for the past however many years? I'm not looking for a new WoW (right now), I'm looking for a new MMO.
    And as such it can't have any of the same features, because then it will be a wow clone, even if it's only one. But the problem is, they're both MMORPGs, so there's going to be a huge overlap. Of course there's vast differences too, but if you're looking for an entirely different game, maybe you should try an FPS game or something, TOR is a lot like WoW - which doesn't need to have any negative connotations about it; They are both MMORPGs and they use the same combat style, using abilities/spells/actions with a global cooldown, resource cost of some sort. Levelling, gear with multiple stats, "gem" (item modification) sockets, instanced areas, quests, auction houses, mail, parties, raids, instanced pvp and world pvp, and loads more, as I say, there is a huge overlap, and there are a lot of similarities, but that doesn't mean for one minute that TOR is a WoW clone. It has quests, but they feel entirely different; it has instances, but they feel entirely different, just playing your character feels very different due to the sheer amount of animations they have in comparision - it's cosmetic which people often dismiss, but it makes it more fun for sure.

Some of the things are going to be pretty much the same, mail for isntance, I mean there's just not a lot you can do with it, but others while on paper it's the same, in reality it feels very different.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zalgren8725 View Post
    Weren't there droids that Jedi would use to practice deflecting bolts back at? I think so...
    Yes - in the very first film Luke practises light sabre versus some a small seeker robot thing whilst on the Millennium Falcon.

So there's no issue with the concept and the setting.