Page 1 of 2
LastLast

feedback on mods

in class forums we are not aloud to make threads about 2handed enh, paladin ideas and stuff like that. sure we can talk about it in one dedicated old boring thread that no one likes anymore because its so big but its not fun. please allow us to make new topics like any other forums thank you

10+ Year Old Account
    The reason certain topics are forbidden is because they cause too much arguing. And if there's already one thread for it, there doesn't need to be any more. The point is too keep the forums clean.

Also, your title is a bit misleading.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2011-10-09 at 08:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Having more than one thread for a single topic just causes unnecessary clutter. What's the point of spreading a discussion on one topic between several threads?

if you disagree with a mod pm one of the admins.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoma View Post
    Having more than one thread for a single topic just causes unnecessary clutter. What's the point of spreading a discussion on one topic between several threads?
    Especially if it's a topic like 2H enchancement or DW death knight tanking that's been both done to death and proven to be inferior to the way everyone else does it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    The reason certain topics are forbidden is because they cause too much arguing. And if there's already one thread for it, there doesn't need to be any more. The point is too keep the forums clean.

Also, your title is a bit misleading.
    ah and here I thought arguing and discussion about certain matters was the purpose of forums.

10+ Year Old Account
    discussion =/= slagging everyone with the opposite idea off because you dislike it

Quote Originally Posted by Heltoray View Post
    ah and here I thought arguing and discussion about certain matters was the purpose of forums.
    That's why those topics typically have one superthread about them, so that people can discuss them without cluttering up the forums with a thousand threads about the same topic. It's really difficult to get any meaningful discussion going about a topic if everyone is spread over several threads.

In the event that a topic does not have its own superthread, it's likely because that topic isn't worth discussing for one reason or another (see examples mentioned above in this thread).

Quote Originally Posted by halmotors View Post
    It's really difficult to get any meaningful discussion going about a topic if everyone is spread over several threads.
    Yup, or when you have several threads on the same topic and the same users post derailing commentary in everyone they see.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Deleted
    Discussion and arguing are different things. Especially considering there's nothing to discuss about 2 handed Enhancement. It's inferior to DW, people have done the Maths and discussed it ages ago, so we don't need to discuss it now. Same goes with Blood DW Tanking. If a change was to happen which seems to make either of these two playstyles viable, they'd be allowed and there would be a lot of discussion starting. However, until a change happens, there's really nothing to discuss.

well, personally I don't even open any threads on general topics, because I won't find anything useful anyway. I think limiting/crippling discussion in such a way isn't beneficial at all and makes it a pain in the ass to find what you are looking for / find out if the stuff you wanted to post about has already been discussed.
    For example: I have some questions about experiences with low bandwidth in Battlefield 3. To know if somebody already asked something similar, I have to go through the huge ,,Battlefield 3 Megathread" and read through an insane amount of in my case irrelevant information. So the second I see that topic my reaction is: Nope, can't be arsed -> google.

It may keep forums ,,clean" but it isn't a practical solution if you want structured and quick information(as a reader/poster). Structuring sub-forums is much better and more convenient. Forums are a source of information after all.

edit: fixed
    Last edited by Heltoray; 2011-10-09 at 11:34 AM.

well, personally I don't even open any threads on general topics, because I won't find anything useful anyway. I think limiting/crippling discussion in such a way isn't beneficial at all and makes it a pain in the ass to find what you are looking for / find out if the stuff you wanted to post about has already been discussed.
    For example: I have some questions about a specific weapon in Battlefied 3. To know if somebody already asked something similar, I have to go through the huge ,,Battlefield 3 Megathread" and read a huge amount of in my case irrelevant information. So the second I see that topic my reaction is: Nope, can't be arsed -> google.

It may keep forums ,,clean" but it isn't a practical solution if you want structured and quick information(as a reader/poster). Structuring sub-forums is a much better and quicker solution.
    It boggles my mind that you think having 100 threads on a single subject is easier to find information in than 1 thread with a lot of replies. Also, the search function is your friend; it was implemented for reasons much like the ones you're complaining about.

10+ Year Old Account
    in such cases, just ask your questions in that thread, people aren't going to berate you for asking something that was already answered, specially if the thread is huge

and depending on the nature of the question, google should be anyones first choice anyway, it's a lot quicker

I wasn't talking about several threads on the same topic. But several threads about different sub-topics.

For example: I have some questions about experiences with low bandwidth in Battlefield 3. To know if somebody already asked something similar, I have to go through the huge ,,Battlefield 3 Megathread" and read through an insane amount of in my case irrelevant information. So the second I see that topic my reaction is: Nope, can't be arsed -> google.

It may keep forums ,,clean" but it isn't a practical solution if you want structured and quick information(as a reader/poster). Structuring sub-forums is much better and more convenient. Forums are a source of information after all.

edit: fixed
    I'l be honest, I'm not entirely sure what you are asking for here. You seem to be advocating repetition of threads which may duplicate information and at the same time spread the information and discussion around (which if anything would make it harder to find what you are after surely? As now you have several threads the answer could be in), yet you seem to be put off a large single thread in case you ask something already been asked....which is generally what happens in the past with the repetition of threads anyway. The OP was saying we should be able to make more threads about stuff like 2h shamans. Its limited in its discussion anyway, but making multiple threads on it dilutes the discussion even further. Say a couple of people are discussing something in one thread, in the other thread the same is happening. In the first, they are discussing, say stat priorities. The people in the second may have more to add to it, maybe they can add that hit is only useful to a point and mastery is better after. But they havent looked at that thread so this stuff doesnt get talked about. With one thread, they're both in the same place, so more likely to see what the others are talking about and discuss.

There are several subjects that get brought up repeatedly if you let them. 2H shaman, DW DK tanking, vanilla/BC/wrath servers...I'm sure theres more. But they're also not topics that garner a lot of new discussion. Generally every time someone starts a new topic its almost exactly the same as whats gone before it. Does anyone remember the initial Cata talent trees? The ones that still had 51 points and meant ele and resto shamans could take dual wield as an option? And does anyone remember what happened the first few days till the mods clamped down? There were a ridiculous amount of threads created by people going "hey I've just had an awesome idea! CHECK OUT MY DW RESTO SHAMMY!!". Seriously, there were loads, all exactly the same, and with virtually no discussion going on. Because again, why would you start a proper discussion about it when there are about 10-20 threads on the subject? You could spend ages typing something only for someone else to make a better point/post in a different thread.

Besides, the subjects also mentioned are one of those things where the thread needs moderating or it just ends up with all the people who "know" that its not as good as the accepted ways shouting down the others and ending up in a slanging match.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldrad View Post
    You know, at some point, Hitler was "just a beta" and people didn't stop him... then he went live.
    Just saying.
    MMO Champ forums - where Cata is comparable to Hitler.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    There is a difference between arguing and throwing dirt at each other for no other reason then pissing each other of.

no but like a couple months ago people were having a good discussion about it but then it just ended when the mod locked it and linked us to the old thread. no one is going to talk in that

Why would people not use the old thread? If the topic is still relevant then there is no reason to not keep using the same thread. If you feel like there is a specific reason why discussion can not continue in an already established thread (something along the lines as there have been changes made so the original thread has a lot of misleading information) that would be when a new thread would be appropriate. A thread being old is not reason enough for a new thread in the class forums. Also, have you considered that the reason no one wants to post in the old thread anymore is because they are just sick to death of the topic and there is nothing new to say about it anyways?

Also, if you disagree with a thread being closed you can always pm the mod who did it and explain why the old thread doesn't work (don't be surprised if "I don't feel like reading the whole thread" isn't considered a good reason though) or PM Sunshine about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Also, if you disagree with a thread being closed you can always pm the mod who did it and explain why the old thread doesn't work (don't be surprised if "I don't feel like reading the whole thread" isn't considered a good reason though) or PM Sunshine about it.
    You need 10 posts to PM mods, which is ridiculous.
    Last edited by camicio; 2014-01-11 at 08:54 PM.

Because on a forum with thousands of threads it is really hard to make 10 constructive posts? o.O