Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What are some great PvP MMO's?

I'm looking for some PvP MMO's, but not RTS like League of Legends or anything. I quit WoW about a month ago and don't plan on going back... however I really enjoyed WoW PvP. Not so much the unbalanced parts, but the overall gameplay of the PvP is what kept me playing it for so long.

A lot of people recommend League of Legends for PvP.. I gave it a go and couldn't continue playing it. After playing WoW for all these years, right clicking to move with a 2D view just isn't for me. I've been conditioned for cut-throat PvP.. heroic leap into a group of people, pop recklessness and bladestorm

Anyways, what are some good PvP MMO's I should give a shot?

10+ Year Old Account
    World of Warcraft

Quote Originally Posted by Brewski View Post
    I'm looking for some PvP MMO's, but not RTS like League of Legends or anything. I quit WoW about a month ago and don't plan on going back... however I really enjoyed WoW PvP. Not so much the unbalanced parts, but the overall gameplay of the PvP is what kept me playing it for so long.

A lot of people recommend League of Legends for PvP.. I gave it a go and couldn't continue playing it. After playing WoW for all these years, right clicking to move with a 2D view just isn't for me. I've been conditioned for cut-throat PvP.. heroic leap into a group of people, pop recklessness and bladestorm

Anyways, what are some good PvP MMO's I should give a shot?
    League of Legends is a MOBA - Massive Online Battle Arena.
    And I heard IRL has some good PvP, and as far as I know, it is unhackable. And it's very balanced.
    Emotional Skyscraper ~ Cosmic Mind

Quote Originally Posted by DaHomieG View Post
    World of Warcraft
    I lol'd. WoW is far to unbalanced to be a good PvP MMO. Remove PvE and gear from WoW and you would have a somewhat decent PvP game I suppose. But that's not gonna happen.
    Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ealar/advanced

Raid Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/pappahealar

Guild Website: http://www.excesse-guild.net/ (Dismissed and seized raiding early 2011, March.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pappahealar View Post
    I lol'd. WoW is far to unbalanced to be a good PvP MMO. Remove PvE and gear from WoW and you would have a somewhat decent PvP game I suppose. But that's not gonna happen.
    Every class is good at something.

I'd say give Guild Wars 2 a go once it comes out. The PvP seems very promising so far, and since everybody is on the same gear level and PvE and PvP skills are completely separate, it should be quite balanced. And the mechanics of dodging, destructible environments, etc. should make for a really fun time.

Planetside 2 is comming out soon. That should be a god PvP MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Orgrim Doomhammer View Post
    And I heard IRL has some good PvP, and as far as I know, it is unhackable. And it's very balanced.
    Too bad it's F2P bullshit with a pay-to-win business model!
    We're whalers on the moon,
    We carry a harpoon,
    But there ain't no whales
    So we tell tall tales
    And sing our whaling tune

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orgrim Doomhammer View Post
    Since when is IRL balanced ? it is the most unbalanced game of all ....fail troll fails and becomes self trolled and auto pwned instead.
    And to that we call, balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Poxxy View Post
    Too bad it's F2P bullshit with a pay-to-win business model!
    Err, you get no in-game advantage by paying. All you can get with real life money is characters (that you can buy with game currency) and skins.

GTX 560 TI stable at 1GhZ
    PCPartPicker Love it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arslay View Post
    Err, you get no in-game advantage by paying. All you can get with real life money is characters (that you can buy with game currency) and skins.
    Mate, they're talking about IRL (in real life). Atleast thats how I understood it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutes View Post
    Every class is good at something.
    I didn't say else. But if gear and PvE would not be part of the game the PvP would be a lot better and balanced. There is too much focus on the best setup for the season. There is a word for this, I just don't remember it.
    Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ealar/advanced

Raid Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/pappahealar

Guild Website: http://www.excesse-guild.net/ (Dismissed and seized raiding early 2011, March.)

Deleted
    Wow, ive tried out many multiplayer games and i can say that FPSes is the most balanced and RPGs the least balanced.

I played diablo 2 alot, PvP is just instant one shot eachother and dodge and THAT is more balanced than WoW, sadly by the simple reason that you have to show dodge skills in d2 (Okay, it got a bit ruined thanks to enigma..) while in WoW, a rogue can just train your ele shaman without you doing nothing.

FPSes are more balanced but not that balanced. For example, in NOVA i could pick up a bazooka and one shot others without even looking.

I will not go on to diablo 3, seeing that 90% are bots in battlegrounds gives a preview that diablo 3 will be really really annoying to play in multiplayer if they dont do anything, and i dont like the auction house idea.

In diablo 1 and diablo 2 i could just play without paying but Blizzard as the same with Gameloft for IOS have become really really "goblin". I havent fully read about the auction house for diablo 3 but that is just beyond stupid anyway in my eyes.
    High runes for 1 dollar each. (Might not happen but i think it will.) and Blizzard taking too much taxes out of money i guess. And we that doesnt want to pay a penny are just left alone while others can spend money on runes to become godly. I dont know if this gonna happen anyway.

I will look at Guild Wars 2 though cause they put some soul on Guild Wars 1 PvP. Hopefully they wont turn their for example ice mage to frost mages in MMOs doing way too much damage while ccing the target forever.

And hopefully no racials, otherwise there would be 90% of one race. I dont belivie any list. "According to this list, 15% are playing undeads in horde side and 17% humans in alliance." More like 60% of the horde are undeads and 75% of alliance are humans in my eyes.

I would say UO if it were still 1997.

Some pros and cons for current MMOs...

DAoC:

+ actually focused on PvP
    + actual PvP, open world, you decide where to go, no instanced sandbox nonsense
    + no continuous PvE/gear grind, you do it once and then you're done
    + majority of player base is comprised of actual PvPers
    + highly skill based, especially communication and coordination
    + static balance (i.e. no constant huge knee jerk buffs/nerfs like WoW)

- very newcomer-unfriendly, i.e. the game doesn't explain itself to you
    - comparatively old, i.e. glitchy controls, feels awkward compared to WoW
    - hard to get into good groups if you don't already have a good reputation

WAR:

+ mix of open world and sandbox PvP
    + leveling through PvP is very possible and fun (you get gear and lots of XP)

- very tedious gear grind at max level (through PvP)
    - most players quit the game after the first month because everything was broken back then and they haven't returned

AoC:

+ somewhat focused on PvP
    + PK servers (FFA)

- incredibly glitchy controls
    - horrible class balance
    - absurdly long gear grind at max level (through PvP)
    - max PvP rank toons are virtually impossible to defeat for lower rank players

AION:

+ you can create hilariously warped characters (imagine the offspring of Slenderman and an Oompa Loompa)

- glitchy controls
    - no class balance whatsoever
    - weird PvE/PvP mix
    - really bad PvP rank system; also, grind

RIFT:

+ solid controls
    + good class balance
    + some open world PvP

- very long gear grind at max level (through PvP rank)
    - high rank players completely destroy lower rank ones
    - PvP mostly based on sandboxes

---

If you're looking for something like WoW, RIFT might be worth a shot. Personally I'm waiting for GW2.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappahealar View Post
    Its not as unbalanced as you think its 1 v 1 thats not balanced. Any arena team could go to the top if the players were skilled enough same with and RBG comp.

---------- Post added 2011-10-09 at 06:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    I'd say give Guild Wars 2 a go once it comes out. The PvP seems very promising so far, and since everybody is on the same gear level and PvE and PvP skills are completely separate, it should be quite balanced. And the mechanics of dodging, destructible environments, etc. should make for a really fun time.
    They have to balance out all the different weapons skills. PVE and PVP skills might be seperate but still can be used for both and still need to be balanced. Balancing all that would be amazing to pull off but remember that other game that had tons of skills and tree's to balance that was going to be amazing? Yeah its called rift look at it now.
    Dodging allows for a different mechanic but might mean advantages at times.
    No gear progression gives nothing to work for apart from Ranks meaning unless they add in higher ranking gear then it won't last. Plus do you really want to be playing for say 7 days and when a guy dings he has the exact same gear level as you?
    Destructible enviroments brings nothing to pvp.

Deleted
    uhm;
    -LoL (League of Legends)
    -GW (Guild Wars)

Quote Originally Posted by UberJoezor View Post
    They have to balance out all the different weapons skills. PVE and PVP skills might be seperate but still can be used for both and still need to be balanced. Balancing all that would be amazing to pull off but remember that other game that had tons of skills and tree's to balance that was going to be amazing? Yeah its called rift look at it now.
    No gear progression gives nothing to work for apart from Ranks meaning unless they add in higher ranking gear then it won't last. Plus do you really want to be playing for say 7 days and when a guy dings he has the exact same gear level as you?
    Yeah, I'm interested to see how everything plays out once it hits release. I'm just saying that right now it's looking pretty slick. Judging by what I've seen. As for the lack of gear progression, I like to play PvP for the PvP, not for the gear. It was one of my hugest problems with WoW. I wanted to make an alt of some kind and do PvP with it, but I couldn't really do anything because I had to grind out honor in order to even be on the same level as anybody else. It was a slow and annoying process that has no need being in any PvP environment. I'm sure some people like the gear progression, but I see the lack of it as a big plus.

And yeah, the whole destructible environments doesn't bring anything to PvP but it's still neat. (;

Quote Originally Posted by UberJoezor View Post
    RIFT has way too many skills to use at your disposal at any given time. GW2 restricts you to having like 10 skills on an action bar with 2 quickswap weapon sets. So you'll have 15(?) skills total when you're fighting. Significantly less abilities than WoW for each class.

Dodging is an iffy mechanic that has a lot to do with latency. In a perfect world, it's a great mechanic, but in a fast paced action online RPG for PvP I'm not so sure.

Gear progression means shit, gear breaks any form of skill when you can outgear your opponent to just stomp their face in, if they're bad you outplay not outgear them. Even though some guy who just made a character has the same stats as you there are going to be rewards, most likely cosmetic, that will change the gear models of the player to show off their PvP status. This is a good change, in WoW all stats in PvP did was force competitive PvP players to go out to do PvE content to get/buy BiS trinkets and blow people up in Arena, in other words crap design.

And destructible environments offer more dynamism in the battleground, even though in the showcase it was only the one clock tower, you can break windows and even buildings to open up new paths. In other words it brings more FUN to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Feranor View Post
    Some pros and cons for current MMOs...

DAoC:

+ actual PvP, open world, you decide where to go, no instanced sandbox nonsense
    + no continuous PvE/gear grind, you do it once and then you're done
    + majority of player base is comprised of actual PvPers
    + highly skill based, especially communication and coordination
    + static balance (i.e. no constant huge knee jerk buffs/nerfs like WoW)

- very newcomer-unfriendly, i.e. the game doesn't explain itself to you
    - comparatively old, i.e. glitchy controls, feels awkward compared to WoW
    - hard to get into good groups if you don't already have a good reputation

WAR:

+ leveling through PvP is very possible and fun (you get gear and lots of XP)

- very tedious gear grind at max level (through PvP)
    - most players quit the game after the first month because everything was broken back then and they haven't returned

AoC:

+ somewhat focused on PvP
    + PK servers (FFA)

- incredibly glitchy controls
    - horrible class balance
    - absurdly long gear grind at max level (through PvP)
    - max PvP rank toons are virtually impossible to defeat for lower rank players

AION:

+ you can create hilariously warped characters (imagine the offspring of Slenderman and an Oompa Loompa)

- glitchy controls
    - no class balance whatsoever
    - weird PvE/PvP mix
    - really bad PvP rank system; also, grind

RIFT:

+ solid controls
    + good class balance
    + some open world PvP

- very long gear grind at max level (through PvP rank)
    - high rank players completely destroy lower rank ones
    - PvP mostly based on sandboxes

---

If you're looking for something like WoW, RIFT might be worth a shot. Personally I'm waiting for GW2.
    errr, Rift doesn't have good class balance. they just got done nerfing mega-healers that were surviving 10v1's against rank 8 people. Rift PvP to date has been the most lulzy experience i've ever had. even aion was more balanced. they only suffered from a class that could beat you naked if they chained fear correctly (spirit masters) to templars who were gods when fully geared. even then class balance matters next to nothing when a fight over divine fortress or a balaurea fort is 500-1000 players on each side. it's all about tactics and transforms at that point. the drama that comes from it also hilarious with spies/informants and medal distribution.

also not quite sure you know the meaning of sandbox in relation to games. rift pvp is as on-rails as possible.
    Last edited by Gentlepenguin; 2011-10-09 at 08:02 PM.