Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by seam View Post
    Know a game that's a HORRIBLE port?

RE4.

But yes, I'd buy more games if they were at least ported well. As it is you almost take a gamble with if it'll actually feel right.
    Wow that was a bad port. I find dead island bad too.

I would buy way more pc games if they worked well with the pc, i still buy a few and i always think it'll work well. Most of the time i'm wrong though

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tholaan View Post
    Diablo, Civilization, Half-Life, CS(Not Source), TF2, Minecraft, and Nuclear Dawn are all on Consoles or coming soon. I admit they are vastly superior on PC but they are still not exclusives .
    Halo and Gears aren't exclusives either.

Diablo II is PC exclusive.
    Last edited by Specops; 2011-10-09 at 09:48 PM.

Halo hasnt been on PC since 2nd game. Same to gears - only first game. Civ on console is all but a name, its vastly different from PC version. Diablo 1 was on console, not 2 and definitely 3.

Quote Originally Posted by kronpas View Post
    Halo hasnt been on PC since 2nd game. Same to gears - only first game. Civ on console is all but a name, its vastly different from PC version. Diablo 1 was on console, not 2 and definitely 3.
    Ain't that a shame too. I was stoked to get Halo 2 for PC during Halo 2's era, however it just never came out till like way later and Halo:CE simply died out. Halo CE was a damn good PC shooter and Halo series would've been great on PC.

I think if more games took advantage of PC capabilities like Fable 1 did, ports to PC would be really good.

Honestly though, if something can be played on Xbox I usually get it for PC anyway. Take Skyrim for example. I'm going to get that for PC simply because I feel I will have more control than what a controller can offer. And a modding community.

Quote Originally Posted by Brofl View Post
    Ain't that a shame too. I was stoked to get Halo 2 for PC during Halo 2's era, however it just never came out till like way later and Halo:CE simply died out. Halo CE was a damn good PC shooter and Halo series would've been great on PC.

I think if more games took advantage of PC capabilities like Fable 1 did, ports to PC would be really good.

Honestly though, if something can be played on Xbox I usually get it for PC anyway. Take Skyrim for example. I'm going to get that for PC simply because I feel I will have more control than what a controller can offer. And a modding community.
    Well, Skyrim and the entire TES series would be blasphemous to get on a console because TES have always had exceptional communities and developer mod support - they want their games modified. By getting a console TES games, you are basically forfeiting a giant forthcoming collection of mods, including mods that make the game graphically superior, balance the game, add content, etc.

@OP: I would get more PC consoles if they delivered PC-level content: graphical customization, customizable controls, intuitive controls. Basically, if the titles felt like PC titles and not glaring copies of XBox and PS3 counter-parts with all the shortcomings of directly porting a game (shitty controls, no customization, shitty graphics, etc).

Dont think Ive EVER wanted to play a game on console over pc, except when the douchebag publicers give me no other choice.

Quote Originally Posted by kronpas View Post
    3 is very likely having a console port. Exclusives are bad for everyone, in all cases.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilfrier View Post
    No. I play on Xbox LIVE because I grew up with it, to an extent. The first shooter I probably played was on PC (Urban Terror mod on Q3: Team Arena), but I LOVED Unreal Championship on Xbox LIVE. I'm used to that platform, and it has more titles that get cranked out than PC.

What would make me play PC more would be:

--Integrate Xbox LIVE. I don't care to give up 8+ years of that to switch for the same games.
    --Get exclusives worth a damn. They don't have Halo, Gears, Forza, or anything like that. Portal and Crysis bailed out for consoles. Other than WoW and Roller Coast Tycoon, they don't have anything on consoles when it comes to games.

I would honestly love if MS would use Windows to integrate the next Xbox. Make games on Blu-Ray discs and include Xbox launching software within Windows 8, giving people the option to pop Halo into a PC Blu-Ray drive and play with a controller OR a mouse and keyboard. It would be awesome to not have to buy a new console, but still have the option.
    lol, what?

Xbox is basically a PC for monkeys. It removes all the advanced, useful things and streamlines it so it can't be confusing. If you can remember to update your video drivers about once a month, there really isn't a disadvantage to being a PC gamer, and dozens of huge advantages over consoles.

XBL integration with Windows will almost certainly happen, but it will still pale compared to Steam. EA's doing their own Origin thing, but again... Steam is already the dominant DRM+content distribution service and that won't be changing. Steam is to PC gaming as Google is to... well, everything involving the internet. Steam streamlines the process of playing games. There's no fat, annoying DRM program to work around, there's no issues with installation, and because it's all digital distribution, you don't have to worry about keeping track of physical media or CD Keys. It also keeps everything up to date automatically, so there's no need to search out and install patches manually. Hell, you can even use Steam to locate and update your video drives if you're using an ATi chipset.

The only reason to bother with consoles at all is for exclusives, and those exclusives are their lifeblood.

In regards to the topic: No, not really. If the game was developed for consoles originally, it's gonna be crap. If it was co-developed for consoles, it has a high likelihood of being crap. Since most games these days are either designed for consoles and ported over or are designed to be playable on consoles, that leaves only a small handful of games worth playing and worth buying.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd buy more games if they were on Mac. Period. But when I was on a PC I rarely bought PC games to begin with because I preferred console gaming.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krekko View Post
    I'd buy more games if they were on Mac. Period. But when I was on a PC I rarely bought PC games to begin with because I preferred console gaming.
    I've heard Steam expanding a large portion of their lineup to Macs has brought in a ton of money. I never knew there were people that actually wanted to use their Macs for gaming... I always thought people bought Macs because they were simple, seamlessly integrated with their iPhone/iPod, and have enormously powerful art/publishing tools.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't know why people source out Mac users as people who don't like games. In fact, most love games just as much as the next person, however resort to what games we can get on the Mac, or to console/gaming on our alternative windows PC's/ Running Bootcamp or such programs. While I can understand most run of the mill games not coming to the Mac, I can never understand big name games not coming over. ESPECIALLY MMORPGs who hope to hit it big. I think Rift would be in a much better place right now had they had a Mac client. SW:TOR will do fine, but would do even better with a Mac client as well.

We love gaming just as much as the next person, however most of us have business reasons to use the Mac OSX platform, and for us that trumps gaming, especially being able to run Bootcamp fairly simply, and with a Console alternative. That still doesn't mean we wouldn't love our own Native alternative.

It's true that we clearly don't want to go out of our way for games, we prioritize work and integration over games in this situation, however gaming companies have a lot to gain by opening up to the Mac community. Especially as it grows, and especially since a large base of the Mac community is college students, and post-college young-adults.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Agreed. If the rumors about Valve making fat stacks are anything to go by, the money invested in making games compatible with OS X natively would be more than recouped by hugely increased product sales.

15+ Year Old Account
    I go on the Steam sight all the time looking for new games to buy. Even games that look half interesting I'd put money down on, or old games I used to own for PC I'd buy again.

The Mac App Store has a few games in it too, I recently re-bought Knights of the Old Republic for a fair price of $19.99 for an outstanding port. There are a few companies doing the ports, who are doing very well for themselves, and it is expanding, slowly but surely, it'd be nice to see them do it first hand though.

It's good to see a reaction other than "GET A PC YOU BUM" though.

Something else I'd love to see is Console-Computer cross platform interaction for online play optionally. Always liked the concept and understand the ups and downs which is why I think it should be optional, but keeps games running for a bit longer.
    Last edited by Krekko; 2011-10-10 at 07:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course. However, you mentioned Crysis. Good game, but two things in it that make me hate playing it. No way to switch the ADS to hold instead of toggle, and having to hold the crouch button instead of pressing it to toggle.
    "I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints." --Billy Joel

"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy". They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.” --John Lennon

Deleted
    It really depends on each individual title. I can't make blanket statements like that.

What I can certainly say though is that I buy a lot more games if they're cheaper. 50 Euros is quite an investment but 20 Euros I feel much more comfortable about dishing out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krekko View Post
    I go on the Steam sight all the time looking for new games to buy. Even games that look half interesting I'd put money down on, or old games I used to own for PC I'd buy again.

The Mac App Store has a few games in it too, I recently re-bought Knights of the Old Republic for a fair price of $19.99 for an outstanding port. There are a few companies doing the ports, who are doing very well for themselves, and it is expanding, slowly but surely, it'd be nice to see them do it first hand though.

It's good to see a reaction other than "GET A PC YOU BUM" though.

Something else I'd love to see is Console-Computer cross platform interaction for online play optionally. Always liked the concept and understand the ups and downs which is why I think it should be optional, but keeps games running for a bit longer.
    The short answer is that the PC gamers would kick the shit out of the console gamers if that sort of thing happened. No matter how good you are with a gamepad, a 12 year old using a six year old mouse would have better aim. Gamepads can do the FPS thing, they just aren't very good at it, sort of like how keyboards can do platformers but aren't really good at it. I believe the next Counter-Strike game will allow cross-platform servers, which will be amusing as hell. Either they let the console players cheat by having autoaim, or you're going to end up watching some incredibly one-sided games.

As to the Mac thing... hey, as long as it ain't a console.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickensoup23 View Post
    They were done right, for the PC.

Sometimes I play games, they feel like ports from other consoles, they have issues, or they don't "feel right". On the other hand, there are some made specifically for the PC (first), and others that are made equally for all platforms.

Ex. of bad PC games: Dead Island (fun, but glitchy, weird to control), sports games, etc
    Ex. of GOOD PC games: Crysis 1, Dead Space 2(nicely adapted), The Witcher 2, Starcraft 2, list goes on.

If all the titles released on the PC were shown love, would you buy more games for your PC? I'm tired of PC gamers getting the shaft.
    Most people download the games because they're free, you get them fast etc. Let's face it, Singleplayer games has been dead on PC for a long time, only COD etc which got a massive multiplayer side will do well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    It really depends on each individual title. I can't make blanket statements like that.

What I can certainly say though is that I buy a lot more games if they're cheaper. 50 Euros is quite an investment but 20 Euros I feel much more comfortable about dishing out.
    This is probably how Valve routinely gets me to go up to them and scream "MY MONEY, TAKE ALL OF IT!" You see an indie title that usually goes for $15 is on sale for $8 for one day and you scoop that shit right on up.

Or what about the holiday sales, especially fuckin Christmas, where they have basically everything on Steam cycling through sales? I nabbed the Rockstar pack last year for $75 and bought another four or five games at $10-$20 apiece, too.

No small wonder Gabe Newell bathes in gold buillion and wipes his ass with benjamins. The man and the people involved know what the hell they're doin - cater to impulse buyers. Just go "HEY THAT GAME YOU WERE MAYBE THINKING ABOUT BUYING BUT DIDN'T WANT TO SPEND $20 ON IS NOW $8.75! BUT IT'S ONLY FOR ANOTHER 24 HOURS GET IT NOW GO GO GO THIS WON'T HAPPEN AGAIN (actually it'll happen another couple weeks from today BUT SCREW YOU BUY IT NOW NOW NOW) DON'T MISS YOUR CHANCE!" and watch the money roll in.

15+ Year Old Account
    If its a game developed on the PC then yes I buy it, case in point Dragon Age. If its a port from a console to PC, then I dont bother, case in point Dragon Age 2.

http://joekey.deviantart.com Sig by Lilliputia! <3

Dead Island is not weird to control on the PC, you're doing it wrong if it is.

---------- Post added 2011-10-10 at 12:47 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tholaan View Post
    Diablo, Civilization, Half-Life, CS(Not Source), TF2, Minecraft, and Nuclear Dawn are all on Consoles or coming soon. I admit they are vastly superior on PC but they are still not exclusives .
    BOLD: The only CS that was -ever- on a console was CZ, and it was an abomination of a port. Oh and I guess the original CS was for Xbox, which again was most likely a garbage port alongside it coming out ~4-5? years after the original. It should have stayed PC exclusive, across the entire franchise, them porting it onto a console just made it terrible for some people.
    Last edited by Hayro1; 2011-10-10 at 07:51 AM.