Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Fraps / Mumble recording issue

So, basically when I run Fraps and record any video in-game, it will record my iTunes songs playing in the background, Youtube if I have it open, etc. But, the major issue is that it will not record Mumble / Vent. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this. Thanks.

you mean when your own speach in vent or vent in general?

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    It won't record any mumble / vent conversation whatsoever, including my own speech. Tried re-installing both Mumble and Fraps but that fixed nothing.

Fraps only records the audio from your primary soundcard. If you're using a setup where your Ventrilo/Mumble sound is playing on a secondary sound card then Fraps won't record any of it.

For example, if you have your regular audio playing through your speakers, but Ventrilo/Mumble through a headset, then Fraps will only record whichever device is set as the primary soundcard in windows.

If this is the case and you want to record both game sound and Ventrilo/Mumble, you'd have to set it up in a way where one device handles all the audio. You'd have everything playing through your speakers, or everything through your headset.

Try changing your default audio input/output before opening fraps. That's the only way I've found you can change what audio it selects to record. I finally got it setup to record mumble, but for some odd reason it completely ignores my mic input lol

That's because Fraps only records what is played by your soundcard. Notice how you don't hear your own voice played back to you when you're talking, so there's nothing to record as far as Fraps is concerned.

If you're running Windows 7, Fraps will have an option to record your microphone as well. Alternatively you could use an audio recording program to record your own voice and mix it back in during editing.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffer View Post
    That's because Fraps only records what is played by your soundcard. Notice how you don't hear your own voice played back to you when you're talking, so there's nothing to record as far as Fraps is concerned.

If you're running Windows 7, Fraps will have an option to record your microphone as well. Alternatively you could use an audio recording program to record your own voice and mix it back in during editing.
    This is incorrect fraps will only record from 1 sound device by default however it records my mic just fine unless i plug in to a pci soundcard which i no longer use but then you can just change settings and get it to record. However im not sure about mumble i have not recorded with mumble so it may or may not be an issue with mumble.