Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    If you're struggling with disc you're probably not using your cooldowns enough. Disc is (for the most part) a spec where you spam your cooldowns and use other spells almost as filler. You should be using PI pretty much on cooldown, likewise IF. Penance should be the first choice heal if it's off cooldown.

Just be happy we arent still using 10k absorb shields, that was soo grimy feeling when I first dinged.

10+ Year Old Account
    Disc isn't a novel spec and knowing the fight helps but isn't required. It basically boils down to keeping a shield on the tank, keep rolling PoM, then GHeal and Penance for any serious healing. I use HF/Smite to top people up and PoH for any group healing (3+ people). We have great cool downs and we don't tend to overheal much.

10+ Year Old Account
    i have similar concerns on my disc priest. just got her to 85 yesterday and bought some zandalari/359 cloak gear. i experienced almost the same thing when i got my resto shammy to 85 and entered heroics. but, with my priest, it seems to be hit and miss with good heals being applied and all that. i ran the ending of DM this morning and as soon as i got in it the tank said "great another undergeared healer". A+ attitude, right? anyway, i got them through it without any lose of life and i don't think the tank every went below 40% health. he had like 180K health. but just a while ago, i went into TotT. this tank had 195K hp. it was all fairly good until they went towards that squid-on-the-dudes-head boss. didn't even get to it because that pack of mobs infront (especially with the 2 faceless ones) really killed my mana. also doesn't help when my PW:S lasts a whole 1.5 seconds. i know its not supposed to be a perma-heal, but yeesh.

Quote Originally Posted by FemaleGoblinMage View Post
    Right before I dinged 85, Greater Heal would give about 40-50% of the health of a DPS.

Right when I dinged, it gave only 10-20%. What? At first I thought, OK, extremely undergeared, So I went and bought a ton of 355+ items that had huge intellect - compared to the levelling gear.

But guess what, still only 25% - or about - of the health of a DPS. I mean, it starts feeling deficient to even be a healer. What's the point of being a healer when you need 1, 2, 3, 4 ,5, 6, about 10 Greater Heals to heal a 5man!?

OK, I'm pretty confident this is related to very high end content but it makes 5man initial instancing very frustrating. I'm supposed to be a healer, this is pure micromanagement.

e.g. I can not use a smite-holy fire rotation on Disc easily on an old 5man heroic with a good gear for it (about 345), I'm afraid I'll go oom and its heals aren't that huge anyway.

So I resort to a Penance -> Shield, Prayer of Healing, Prayer of Mending 'rotation' which is very, very, tight. I usually end up spamming Prayer of Healing towards the end of the fight and I'm oom.

If the DPSes are useless, not a chance to do one of the hardest fights. If the fight with 3 DPSes that don't do more than 12-14K dps goes way beyond the regular time, it might kill us.
    Because Blizzard wanted to make the game harder, and as always when they want to make the game harder they wont touch their precious DPS that are the most played role, so they screw the healers.

They invented this triage where you heal like crap and they promised that, in return for us healing like crap, there wasn't going to be many tank drop mechanics or AOE damage in Cata, a promise they broke in the very first raid.

Having healed this game for several years, i have to say i never enjoyed the role less than now. This new system suck, but somehow Blizzard is happy with it (probably because its easier to design dungeons with us healing like crap and they dont like to work much).

Quote Originally Posted by randomone05 View Post
    i have similar concerns on my disc priest. just got her to 85 yesterday and bought some zandalari/359 cloak gear. i experienced almost the same thing when i got my resto shammy to 85 and entered heroics. but, with my priest, it seems to be hit and miss with good heals being applied and all that. i ran the ending of DM this morning and as soon as i got in it the tank said "great another undergeared healer". A+ attitude, right? anyway, i got them through it without any lose of life and i don't think the tank every went below 40% health. he had like 180K health. but just a while ago, i went into TotT. this tank had 195K hp. it was all fairly good until they went towards that squid-on-the-dudes-head boss. didn't even get to it because that pack of mobs infront (especially with the 2 faceless ones) really killed my mana. also doesn't help when my PW:S lasts a whole 1.5 seconds. i know its not supposed to be a perma-heal, but yeesh.
    Your PW:S, depending on your gear, is usually a 25k+ heal. It isnt suppose to last longer then 1.5 secs, just reduce the amount you have to cast and actual heal.

Dont worry sadly you'll overgear this triage soon. I miss cata launch when it was ok for my whole groups health to be around 50% and I was oom after every pull. Those were the funnest 5 man experiences Ive ever had. it required quick decision making and coordination with your heals. Since like you said it takes several great heals to get someone to full hp. i loved it.

I only ever get the same experience now from a progression raid boss. Although i enjoyed it so much more in 5 mans where I was the only healer and had to rely on only myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    Welcome to cata healing.

You have to use slow, cheap but weak, efficient heals constantly. Every heal requires a conscious choice, unlike in 1-84. You need to decide which heal is best for the job. If it's not urgent, use a cheap heal. If it's really urgent, a fast heal. If it's kind of urgent and you anticipate a lot of damage, stick with greater heal.

It IS micromanagement. I love it that way. Healing was so boring in LK.
    I completely agree with this statement. I'm glad that they went ahead and made healing more of a challenge. It separates the really great healers from the not so great ones. Showcasing that you really know your class and how to micromanage it says something about a person's play style. I too noticed that once I had some gear, Disc became much more enjoyable to play. IMHO, I prefer Disc over Holy now :3