Thread: NDA and EA

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    Jade Empire and NeverWinter Nights would like to have a word with you. Yes, Neverwinter's multiplayer was fan made, but it had official support, and I believe even infrastructure, from BioWare.

As to the NDA, there is absolutely no reason to lift the NDA prior to launch. BioWare has given us more information about this game than I think any other developer I've ever seen. Anyone who says we know little about the game isn't paying attention.

The only reason we don't know more about some of it, like companion kits and the like, is because it's not finalized. It's still being tweaked in the beta, and the last time they announced official info about companions, then changed it because of beta feedback, it created a massive shitstorm of "you promised" idiots who didn't realize that the change they were talking about was a HUGE step in a positive direction.
    was gunna say what you said but you got to it first heh
    Omians- 70 Troll Enhancement shaman, Emerald Dream

Quote Originally Posted by Ashgar View Post
    I'm not happy with the graphics for a new mmo coming out and it does seem to me they set the bar at WoW and that's about it. I think the companion system is brilliant though and is going to bring something new to the genre. I just can't help in the back of my mind be worried this could end up being a huge letdown.
    First off, the graphics are definately better than WoW's, SWTOR just has a simplistic style that's all.

Second, having companions in an MMO isn't new. Guild Wars had customisable hero companions with their own stories years ago (hell, you could even have your Alts as companions!). The biggest differences are that in Guild Wars you could have 7 heroes with you at once, you couldn't send them off on errands and you couldn't sleep with them.

10+ Year Old Account
    So far I can't say that EA has done anything but good, they acted cashcow to finance the game and they recruited the mythic pvp team.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Gritalian View Post
    They are entering a market that has basically been dominated by one developer... I mean, we're talking Michael Jordan domination. How many games have we seen come out with even a relative amount of hype and get its subscriptions cut drastically after the free month ended? Hell, I'll just name the one's I've quit: SWG, Lotro, City of Heroes/Villains, Age of Conan, Eve, Aion, Warhammer Online, Rift, Forsaken World, and there is probably more that I can't even remember.

So why would Bioware decide to keep an NDA at this point?
    For one, the limit news in itself creates hype when news is eventually released.
    Second, it's Star Wars... it already has its own enormous fan base.
    Third, it's Bioware, which many people who play games consider being one of the gold standards as far as story, character development, relationships... three things that mean a lot in the world of mmos.
    Fourth, most people who gravitate towards playing MMOs purchase every "big" MMO, any way

So they have these four things going for them, among many others... why exactly would they show their cards when releasing a product that rivals a game that has probably the biggest video game population there is? They are going to get their sales, it's pretty much given based on the number of preorders they projected. Those who don't buy it right on release will have friends who do buy it, word of mouth is likely to be high. Realistically, the people who don't buy this game (our of the WoW population) are going to be the ones who can't afford two $15 monthly subscriptions, or those who just don't have enough time in their week to work on two different characters in two different games aka the people who raid/pvp casually on the weekend and are currently 4/7 regular. Nothing against those people, but more than likely they don't have the time resource to manage playing two MMOs.

The possible gain due from releasing mass amounts of news content now is probably too small in terms of affecting sales and would only give the edge to their well established competitor (Blizzard) who has been known to do things like releasing patches during other games release dates or sending out mass amounts of beta invites during early access for preorders (like they did with the WOTLK Beta when Warhammer Online early access went live).

This post right here is probably the best explanation of why the NDA is still in effect and probably will be until release. Thanks for writing this up, this should be stickied or something.

Don't trust EA, but I trust Bioware. As other people have said, NDA is probably still up to prevent story leaks from getting out, as well as to minimize aspects of SWTOR that their competitors can steal before launch. Blizzard has taken a bunch of stuff already and implemented it into 4.3.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ruinshin View Post
    I'm glad the NDA is still up. Don't have to worry about random story spoilers.
    I think this is the biggest reason they are keeping it up. The last thing that a story based game needs is for all of the stories to get leaked. That would kill a lot of peoples' reasons to play it themselves. I could really care less, but I am sure that many of the true SW/Bio fans would be very upset. As is, if you really want spoiler info you can get it, but it is kept off of any site that wants to stay on good terms with EA/Bio.
    I like sandwiches

People who replied about the story being the impetus for the NDA are spot on.

This game plays like a Bioware game, the story is absolutely excellent. Without getting too into detail, one of the main differences between SWTOR and WOW is that it IS a whole new story in the universe as opposed to a continuation of Warcraft 3's plot. Besides being in the same Old Republic universe, it has nothing to do with KOTOR's plot and basically builds the story with you in the main-character seat, as opposed to WoW where the main characters are pre-defined (Thrall, Deathwing etc), you basically know what is going to happen and you're just the lackey sidekick assistant.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashgar View Post
    Does anyone else think it's a bit shady that with almost 2 months away from release the NDA still hasn't been dropped? Generally, when a game this big, with this much cost spent in development is close to being released there should be tons of content out there to build hype.
    sorry, are you implying that swtor isn't one of the most hyped MMO's since WoW's release?! :S

10+ Year Old Account
    The story is pretty much the only thing thing this game has going for it. It's KOTOR 3 with multiplayer thrown in here and there. They have to keep as much as they can hidden from the public. Personally, I like the way GW2 is handled better. There is no NDA, they are basically throwing all their cards on the table and telling other developers, "Give us your best shot."
    Last edited by Elysia; 2011-10-14 at 12:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greevir View Post
    The story is pretty much the only thing thing this game has going for it. It's KOTOR 3 with multiplayer thrown in here and there. They have to keep as much as they can hidden from the public.
    And you're basing this on... what, exactly? I've looked at a lot of 1-50 gameplay so far, and they game strikes me as fundamentally sound. WoW, with a better story and a far more interesting leveling process. Class mechanics are very solid, although it's hard to look at class balance right now. The question really becomes how good the endgame is, and most of that content is as yet unfinished.

Personally, I like the way GW2 is handled better. There is no NDA, they are basically throwing all their cards on the table and telling other developers, "Give us your best shot."
    Read this as "Why isn't TOR exactly like GW2?"

The story is pretty much the only thing thing this game has going for it. It's KOTOR 3 with multiplayer thrown in here and there. They have to keep as much as they can hidden from the public. Personally, I like the way GW2 is handled better. There is no NDA, they are basically throwing all their cards on the table and telling other developers, "Give us your best shot."
    Well it's easy to tell YOU have played the beta, or researched the game in any way.

Deleted
    It's KOTOR 3 with multiplayer thrown in here and there. They have to keep as much as they can hidden from the public.
    2008 called and wanted your concerns back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just popping by to say that the thread title reminded me of this

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachyveng View Post
    I think one of the main reasons the NDA is still in place is because it IS a story driven MMO, Bioware is known for telling badass stories. They don't want to spoil the story experience that would come about by getting rid of the NDA. All the big facts are out there. They've shown us Flashpoints, PvP, Operations, Low level origin worlds, we know it's a hot key style MMO, we know it's got the trinity. That's really all we need to know before it starts to get into spoilers etc.
    This is actually a very good point and to be honest this is probably 100% correct. Considering how much they have stated it will be story driven, why would they want the story out before it launches? Its not like they are going to break up the NDA and say well you can talk about A but not B. Really good point sir, I hope others consider this.

Id like to add that the runglockers coming in here saying "TOR sucks, GW2 is where its at!" need to GTFO. I dont know much about GW2, but if its anything like GW you can throw your immersion factor out the window with your glorified chatroom of a game....
    Last edited by philefluxx; 2011-10-12 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ruinshin View Post
    I'm glad the NDA is still up. Don't have to worry about random story spoilers.

SO, yeah.. Keep it up until the end. What's been released officially is more than enough for people to know if they want to try it or not.
    This...I think this is the only reason the NDA is still in effect. How many other MMO's have you gone into excited about the story or quest you're going to do? Not very many at all and for me not a single one.
    *Official Ryg Tweet on Patch Notes Hype Train Passenger* -Never Forget

Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    Id like to add that the runglockers coming in here saying "TOR sucks, GW2 is where its at!" need to GTFO. I dont know much about GW2, but if its anything like GW you can throw your immersion factor out the window with your glorified chatroom of a game....
    It isn't like that, but there's still nothing productive between G2 fanboys and TOR fanboys arguing on these forums. Yes, we've heard that some of you guys like GW2. That's just fine. But that doesn't mean that complaining about TOR and using GW2's features as justification is a valid argument; there's a considerable gap between simple complaining and reasoned criticism.

Would not be surprised if the NDA gets lifted at or close to early access.

15+ Year Old Account
    Personally, I like the way GW2 is handled better. There is no NDA, they are basically throwing all their cards on the table and telling other developers, "Give us your best shot."
    You might just be naive or blind but there is a NDA on every game before their release. You just dont know.

Now go back to your sub-forum we dont serve your kind in here.

The NDA is to protect against spoiler, when was the last time that a game like Assassin's Creed, Final Fantasy or Dragon Age ending before it is released?

They havent released talents tree because they arent finalized either, when a company announce something that isnt going in the game it cause a shitstorm, see for example the Path of the titan for WOW.
    Last edited by DaGhostDS; 2011-10-12 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nienniora View Post
    lol Yet again, overly defensive SWTOR fans jumping on one of their own and labelling them a GW2 fanboi for the mere mention of the game. Guess the ignorance, misinformation and hatred isn't just limited to the official SWTOR forums after all.

Grow up guys.

Report and move on. Do not continue arguing or "debating". Infracted. - Buckwald
    Last edited by Buckwald; 2011-10-12 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nienniora View Post
    You might just be naive or blind but there is a NDA on every game before their release. You just dont know.

The NDA is to protect against spoiler, when was the last time that a game like Assassin's Creed, Final Fantasy or Dragon Age ending before it is released?

They havent released talents tree because they arent finalized either, when a company announce something that isnt going in the game it cause a shitstorm, see for example the Path of the titan for WOW.
    You don't even have to look beyond SW:TOR for an example of this either. They released information on how companions worked, then changed it based on Beta Feedback to be MORE flexible, and people BITCHED endlessly about BioWare "taking away what they promised us."