Thread: Achievements?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Achievements?

I was wondering if anyone knew if there is going to be an achievement system kinda like in WoW. Or at least talk about it in the future.

So far there is nothing that indicates that, and in all fairness its a waste of developer time at release.

They will, if they want to, probably add it in a major patch later down the line, but from my personal opinion, I dont want it. (And I say that with over 11k ach points on my wow main <.<)

They said that there will be achievements in the game. They've said that achievements won't be stupid "pet all the creatures" like how WoW has, but that all achievements will be hard to do things.

I don't remember which article this was answered in, though.
    Last edited by vizzle; 2011-10-10 at 10:23 AM.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Yeah I'm over 8k.
    I spend a lot of time doing it XD But I hope they add it in a patch later on.

Achievements will absolutely, definitely, 100% certain be in SWTOR. I can know this very easily without even being in the Beta or reading any existing information about the game.

The simple fact is Achievements are the way forward. They provide extended, replayable content for a very cheap investment of time. Want to make your game last 60 hours instead of 30 hours? Put in an achievement that requires two playthroughs, where you kill everyone in the first playthrough and nobody in the second. Or make an achievement where you mustn't hit the walls in a driving game. Or an achievement where you have to score over 500,000 points.

A few lines of code and a line of description and bam, more content for about 5 minutes work. It's not even a bad thing, either: players love achievements. They love having a way of quantifying their progress. Hell, some love having a number to compare with other players, to see who is better.

Achievements revolutionised the gaming industry, and at this stage a game developer would be absolutely crazy to not include them. So yes, SWTOR will have achievements. If not at release, then in the first patch afterward.

That's what I like to hear.

It amazes me how you people want every c**py thing from other games there are out there and yet when the game comes out with all the features you ask you quickly label it as a ripoff. Take the game for what it is and enjoy it.

P.S. And I just want to talk a bit about graphics. Some MMO's realy have great graphics, like AION, Tera etc. Well i've tried Aion and that is all that brings to the table, graphics, the rest is just c**a. The game is boring as hell. And reading the opinion of the people that play Tera on the korean servers that game is not far behind. Example: professions are absolutely worthless with a stupid concept and other things like that.

So in the and take the games for what they are and what they are trying to do and don't try to make it a cheap copy of another game because then no one is to chose that over the real deal.

Achievements should not be completely mundane tasks that are completely time consuming, and in all fairness it was one of the main starting points of when the community in wow started to show decline in the community (not subs).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sangomah View Post
    Achievements should not be completely mundane tasks that are completely time consuming, and in all fairness it was one of the main starting points of when the community in wow started to show decline in the community (not subs).
    no1 forces you to do achievements.. and alot of people love doing these "mundane" achievements and it actually keeps people playing the game rather than have nothing to do and be bored.

---------- Post added 2011-10-10 at 12:31 PM ----------

also the community did not decline because of achievements because alot of the achievements especially raiding, pve, and pvp ones require you to have a group. The biggest reason for the decline was LFG cross-realm, and lack of free migrations.

Quote Originally Posted by Insanoflex View Post
    no1 forces you to do achievements.. and alot of people love doing these "mundane" achievements and it actually keeps people playing the game rather than have nothing to do and be bored.
    I rather have them put in real content, like RPG elements than spending time coding achievements for waving at random npcs inngame...

Deleted
    I rather have them put in real content, like RPG elements than spending time coding achievements for waving at random npcs inngame...
    what RPG elements? no one cares about RPG elements in WoW beside the people on RPG servers.. achievements benefit both types of players. Also they have a small team who focus on achievements, it doesnt really effect any of the content side other than adding more achievements.

like i said earlier achievements didnt ruin the community, LFG cross-realm and lack of free migrations did.

This is a thread about swtor, not wow.

And yes achievements was the start. Suddenly you had to link achievements to do anything, then we had the gear score mod, lfg tool hit to somewhat counter it and there we go. It started with achievement linking sadly.

And as said, that is why I dont want that kind in swtor. Choose to have either ONLY mundane stuff, or only stuff that require some effort and not redicioulus amount of time spent.

This is a thread about swtor, not wow.

And yes achievements was the start. Suddenly you had to link achievements to do anything, then we had the gear score mod, lfg tool hit to somewhat counter it and there we go. It started with achievement linking sadly.
    No, it didn't start with achievement linking. It started with 'LFM Karazhan must be 4/8 T6'. And before that, it was 'must be full T0.5' or whatever. The playerbase will ALWAYS find some method of quickly and easily quantifying the worth of a player. Achievements did nothing to help or prevent that.

And if these 'RPG elements' take 2 hours of coding to implement while an achievement takes 5 minutes, then the achievement takes up 2 hours of a player's time and the 'RPG element' takes up 5 minutes of a player's time, then which do you think the developer will choose to implement?

What do you mean by 'RPG elements' anyway?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebbah View Post
    It amazes me how you people want every c**py thing from other games there are out there and yet when the game comes out with all the features you ask you quickly label it as a ripoff. Take the game for what it is and enjoy it.

P.S. And I just want to talk a bit about graphics. Some MMO's realy have great graphics, like AION, Tera etc. Well i've tried Aion and that is all that brings to the table, graphics, the rest is just c**a. The game is boring as hell. And reading the opinion of the people that play Tera on the korean servers that game is not far behind. Example: professions are absolutely worthless with a stupid concept and other things like that.

So in the and take the games for what they are and what they are trying to do and don't try to make it a cheap copy of another game because then no one is to chose that over the real deal.
    I take it you complain about every FPS game being a rip-off from Wolfenstein, just because it's in First person too?
    This his how the MMO-Model and works right now, just like any other genre.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I don't really want achievement system in SWTOR

1: Cause it's addictive as hell!! 11k achievement points on my main in WoW

2: Once you got loads of achievement points and such you don't wanna change your main, if they made them account-wide, I wouldn't mind.

by rpg elements I mean like activly doing something that moves your character forwards in terms of quests as an example.

Yes it might be only 5 mins for the achievement, but add up the 1300+ achievements and it fast turns into, what I term, unnessescary time usage. There are way to much stuff to work on than spending 6500 minutes (if we just agree that in a hypothetical world it takes 5 mins to code 1 achievement).

I rather wait 2 weeks for some extra story content than 2 days for achievement.

I like the sense of progress and achievements are just time sinks that doesnt feel like progress. (and no I dont consider gear progress, but rather that gear is a result of progress)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanni View Post

2: Once you got loads of achievement points and such you don't wanna change your main, if they made them account-wide, I wouldn't mind.
    I seriously hope that Bioware learns from Blizzard's failing and makes the achievements account wide, at least the difficult ones, when they do finally add them in. I am tied to my Shaman in WoW because I don't want to lose my 152 pets or 120ish mounts and 10k points. I'd love to not feel like that in TOR.

Quote Originally Posted by Babaganouch View Post
    I take it you complain about every FPS game being a rip-off from Wolfenstein, just because it's in First person too?
    This his how the MMO-Model and works right now, just like any other genre.
    Nope, in general, i complain about ALMOST every FPS for being linear not for being first person shooters :P ( i hate linear games with almost no story :3).
    On a side note, I blame them to be a rip-off from Doom because it's the first FPS that I know

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanni View Post

Agree that achievements should be account bound from the start.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

by rpg elements I mean like activly doing something that moves your character forwards in terms of quests as an example.

Yes it might be only 5 mins for the achievement, but add up the 1300+ achievements and it fast turns into, what I term, unnessescary time usage. There are way to much stuff to work on than spending 6500 minutes (if we just agree that in a hypothetical world it takes 5 mins to code 1 achievement).

I rather wait 2 weeks for some extra story content than 2 days for achievement.

I like the sense of progress and achievements are just time sinks that doesnt feel like progress. (and no I dont consider gear progress, but rather that gear is a result of progress)
    Unfortunately in that case it boils down to your personal opinion. You don't believe Achievements are methods of progressing your character. I do. I'm probably not the only one. When it comes down to personal opinion vs personal opinion, then you simply have to go with the majority. Considering every single game release worth a damn has included achievements for several years now (and the players have been loving it so far), I'd afraid to say you appear to be in the minority.

I'm not sure what other content could be included if the time spent on achievements was instead spent on other stuff. More quests? There's only so many variations on 'go there, kill 10 things; go here, pick up 20 things' you can make. More raids? Well, without the achievements, these raids would actually be blown through a lot more quickly than they already are. At least with achievements it gives raiders something to do beyond farm the boss in the exact same way every week. And no, I don't believe that without achievements a game developer could create two raids instead of only one.

So what could they do if they didn't use Achievements?