Recipe: Vial of the Sands, can I get this again?

So I've already gotten this recipe and I've used it, but I'm looking to pick up Tailoring and Engineering without dropping JC because I'm only missing 7 total JC designs. My question is, if I do this and drop Alchemy to pick up the Tailor and Eng mounts, and go back to Alchemy, will I be able to farm the Vial recipe again? (Yes I know I won't be able to use any of the Tailor/Eng mounts once I drop that profession, but it counts towards my total mount number.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait what? ... You need Eng and tail to use mount? ... Oh your getting it up .... Nope, I think you'll lose it

Stolen ... from elyssia .... mad elyssia?

Quote Originally Posted by Crush View Post
    Wait what? ... You need Eng and tail to use mount? ... Oh your getting it up .... Nope, I think you'll lose it
    That wasn't quite my question. I just need to know if I can get the Recipe for Vial of the Sands again if I re-pickup Alchemy.

The physical recipe is unique how ever once you learnt it, its not in your bags any more so I dont see why not, for example if run ZA, get the mount, learn it, run it the next day and win the mount again you can have it in your bag again, but not learn it, but seening as with alch, youd be starting from scartch, I have no idea Id probably guess you could get it again
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

Most likely, as you can re-acquire BoP recipes that are dropped from mobs as well (the kind that you only see with the corresponding profession)
    I can confirm that I got Recipe: Major Arcane Protection Potion two times, once during BC, then again later after I switched to Inscription at WotLK launch, and back to Alchemy a while later.
    The "drop" from the jar should behave in the same way, but know that getting it again will certainly be a pita :P and I'm not sure if jars acquired and kept while you are not Alchemy can contain the recipe.
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

Well, first of all if you do drop alchemy to pick up these other professions for their mounts, unlearning the profession makes the mount unusable and it no longer counts towards the mounts achievements, so whatever you were hoping to get out of this scheme won't work. Second ALL archeology drops that aren't vendor greys only drop once, so no, you will not see another recipe on that character ever again. So you can either stick with alch and cash in on crafting fees for the mount or pick one of the others you listed and stick with it for the mount from that profession. I'd suggest sticking with alchemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplehaxe View Post
    Well, first of all if you do drop alchemy to pick up these other professions for their mounts, unlearning the profession makes the mount unusable and it no longer counts towards the mounts achievements
    1. Vial of the Sands is not Alchemy-only anymore
    2. No, those indeed still count towards the achievement.
    3. Canopic Jar is white, but does indeed drop more than once, else you'd only have a one-time, 5% chance to ever acquire the recipe

---------- Post added 2011-10-10 at 09:29 PM ----------

I think you can even acquire two recipe items if you didn't learn the first, as it is not unique, and not "known" yet. Though I don't think anyone would ever want to confirm that (who am I kidding, this is the internet)
    Last edited by Nathanyel; 2011-10-10 at 07:29 PM.
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathanyel View Post
    Most likely, as you can re-acquire BoP recipes that are dropped from mobs as well (the kind that you only see with the corresponding profession)
    I can confirm that I got Recipe: Major Arcane Protection Potion two times, once during BC, then again later after I switched to Inscription at WotLK launch, and back to Alchemy a while later.
    The "drop" from the jar should behave in the same way, but know that getting it again will certainly be a pita :P and I'm not sure if jars acquired and kept while you are not Alchemy can contain the recipe.
    Oh I know it will be a pain, and I do know it can't contain the recipe if I don't at least have Alchemy at the time ( It can be any level Alchemy, just as long as I have it), I just want to make sure I can get it again. :P But I see what you mean about the Arcane pots. I'll have to give it a try I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplehaxe View Post
    Well, first of all if you do drop alchemy to pick up these other professions for their mounts, unlearning the profession makes the mount unusable and it no longer counts towards the mounts achievements, so whatever you were hoping to get out of this scheme won't work. Second ALL archeology drops that aren't vendor greys only drop once, so no, you will not see another recipe on that character ever again. So you can either stick with alch and cash in on crafting fees for the mount or pick one of the others you listed and stick with it for the mount from that profession. I'd suggest sticking with alchemy.
    This is all sorts of wrong.

1. The Vial of the Sands mount is BOE, and does not require Alchemy to learn. So dropping Alchemy has zero effect on the mount itself.

2. Dropping a profession when you have mounts that require that profession simply makes those mounts unusable. They will still count toward the mount achievements.

3. The Vial recipe drops from Canopic Jars, which you can acquire multiple times, so it should be possible to get the recipe again.

1. I never said the vial was bound to alchemy, try reading the OP "My question is, if I do this and drop Alchemy to pick up the Tailor and Eng mounts". That is what I was referring to when speaking of mounts.

2. I was unaware that the mounts still counted for the achievements after dropping the profession, but I guess it would be a bitch to lower the counter for the achievement rather than just let that slide, so sorry about that bit of misinformation.

3. While the jar can be obtained multiple times, I have never seen proof of someone getting the recipe more than once. I would assume it follows the same rule as any other archeology reward in that it cannot be obtained more than once. Sure you can give it a shot but I wouldn't risk it if I were you.

15+ Year Old Account
    The thing is that the recipe for the vial is not an archaeology reward, the reward is the canopic jar, a common solve.
    Last edited by Siri; 2011-10-11 at 02:36 AM.

Fair enough, just never seen or heard of anyone getting a second one on the same character and would personally rather be safe than sorry.