Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    They are so different that they can hardly be compared, yet that's all people want to do.
    That's is the problem, and also 90% of the people comparing know nothing of either one or both games, so it's a totally biased post. Look at the thread the OP post, not a single person has a clue about GW2, yet they seem to be an expert in it.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    To further elaborate, I just hate this "us against them all" mentality.

    It's no secret that I think TOR is amazing. But I also think GW2 is. And if I raise a question about TOR in a TOR thread, I'll get answers from people who may have similar or opposite beliefs, but overall they will not jump to bash on me. If I raise questions in a GW2 thread, I get labeled and punched. More likely than not, because of my sig. I believe that if I had a GW2 sig, it would be the opposite. There's a problem there.

    If I only wanted to play GW2, I'd stay away from all TOR topics and boards. I wouldn't go looking for people bashing my game. I wouldn't go making fun of people who didn't agree with my views. I wouldn't start versus matches against other games.

    I read 2 types of game info: GW2, and TOR. That's it. I don't care about any other games and thus, I don't meander to their info sites to look for problems and chances to bash.

    Being a fan of both these games is abnormally hard. They are so different that they can hardly be compared, yet that's all people want to do. Why can't people just accept the fact that others like different things, and let it go at that? Why can't TOR use the classic MMO model if they can make it work? Why can't GW2 use their new systems if they can make it work? Why must everything be leaped upon with tooth and nail if it's not in accordance with someone else's personal beliefs?

    It sucks that this kind of thing has to happen everywhere.
    That really sucks that you feel you've been attacked over expressing an opinion or concern in this sub forum, but I wouldn't take it to heart, people here are really passionate about the game and it often doesn't matter if you're mainly a Guild Wars fan or a SWTOR fan, they'll jump on you like a rabid charr! Same goes for the SWTOR sub forum too. I don't even display a Guild Wars 2 sig so I can actively participate in the threads there. I've seen SWTOR fans with no interest in GW2 attacked and labelled as Guild Wars fans simply because they didn't completely praise every aspect of the game.

    The reality is, there are alot of ignorant people on either side who will spout lies and nonsense to "prove" their game is superior. Whether it be Guild Wars trolls posting on SWTOR youtube videos, or SWTOR fans bashing the game from the comfort of their own forums, both groups are morons and are luckily in the minority and usually shunned by the more sensible and mature fans. That being said, the situation on the official SWTOR forum is being made worse by the moderators who, while they don't actively encourage it, they seem do what they can to make sure that any factual posts that correct the misinformation are deleted and the posters warned or banned, while nothing happens to the people participating in the thread. That sort of behaviour gives people a very bad impression about Bioware when their community representatives act in such a way.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    They are so different that they can hardly be compared, yet that's all people want to do.
    As long as there are even a few similarities between two things, people are always going to compare them. That's how people are. I believe it's because a lot of people like to feel superior in some way, even if they don't realize it, and they'll do what they can to put down things that they don't like to boost that feeling of superiority. "My choice is better and your choice is wrong!"

    What these people don't seem to realize is that it just makes them look stupid. I don't like TOR, but I'm not going to bash it or anything like that because I don't care enough to do that and it makes me look dumb. The people in that thread seem to care a lot. It's sad, and yet it still makes me angry. Ugh. =P It does suck.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Mothhive View Post
    That really sucks that you feel you've been attacked over expressing an opinion or concern in this sub forum, but I wouldn't take it to heart, people here are really passionate about the game and it often doesn't matter if you're mainly a Guild Wars fan or a SWTOR fan, they'll jump on you like a rabid charr! Same goes for the SWTOR sub forum too. I don't even display a Guild Wars 2 sig so I can actively participate in the threads there. I've seen SWTOR fans with no interest in GW2 attacked and labelled as Guild Wars fans simply because they didn't completely praise every aspect of the game.

    The reality is, there are alot of ignorant people on either side who will spout lies and nonsense to "prove" their game is superior. Whether it be Guild Wars trolls posting on SWTOR youtube videos, or SWTOR fans bashing the game from the comfort of their own forums, both groups are morons and are luckily in the minority and usually shunned by the more sensible and mature fans. That being said, the situation on the official SWTOR forum is being made worse by the moderators who, while they don't actively encourage it, they seem do what they can to make sure that any factual posts that correct the misinformation are deleted and the posters warned or banned, while nothing happens to the people participating in the thread. That sort of behaviour gives people a very bad impression about Bioware when their community representatives act in such a way.
    Well it does seem that that the SWTOR mods are starting to just flat out close entire threads about the whole SWTOR vs other games topics.

    Hello everyone,

    Since this thread compares two unreleased games, we're closing it for off-topic. Thanks for understanding!
    This is what a mod said in that topic that Odeezee linked to. And I came across other similar topics in the SWTOR forums that have also been closed, it looks like they're moving away from individual bans/warnings and just cleaning those topics up whole sale, which I think is the right thing to do.

  5. #45
    Scarab Lord Blznsmri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,055
    All of my rage. I want to internet bitchslap people on that thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

  6. #46
    Herald of the Titans Mighty Blue Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    All of my rage. I want to internet bitchslap people on that thread...
    Sounds about right! Haha

    I could even compare that thread to the Occupy Wallstreet (the whole thing is a sad example). They're declaring that EVERYONE should have EQUAL PAY whether they WORK OR NOT. That concept alone hurts my head. Guy #1 works his ass off for $7.50 an hour. While Guy #2 fattens his own arse on the couch watching sports, and makes the same $7.50 an hour. The whole concept of trying to compare working folk to lazy butts is just stupid and beyond!

    It's like comparing apples to spinach. >_<' Same for GW2 vs. SWTOR topics, the whole thing is silly because 1.) they're both not out yet, and 2.) one is conventional while the other is trying to change the scene.
    Last edited by Mighty Blue Bear; 2011-10-11 at 07:03 PM. Reason: D:

  7. #47
    Dreadlord Cadfuert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In your Hard drive eating your files
    Posts
    822
    I found this funny:

    Yes that's true and those abilities change with every kind of weapon you equip. So you could be a warrior, equip a staff and suddenly your hot bars are full of magic spells.

    Sounds like more homogenization to me.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadfuert View Post
    I found this funny:

    Yes that's true and those abilities change with every kind of weapon you equip. So you could be a warrior, equip a staff and suddenly your hot bars are full of magic spells.

    Sounds like more homogenization to me.
    lol It's comments as funny as that that make me want to read the whole thing, but I think I'll just end up getting mad and not have any way to vent at them, so I'll resist!

  9. #49
    Dreadlord Cadfuert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In your Hard drive eating your files
    Posts
    822
    Quote Originally Posted by Mothhive View Post
    lol It's comments as funny as that that make me want to read the whole thing, but I think I'll just end up getting mad and not have any way to vent at them, so I'll resist!
    It got even better on the next page.quote from the same guy that said about warriors using staffs in response who said warriors can't.

    That's not true. Watch the TotalBiscuit high level Eurogamer footage here:

    Part 1:

    http://www.cynicalbrit.com/videos/►-...meplay-part-1/

    Part 2:

    http://www.cynicalbrit.com/videos/►-...meplay-part-2/

    There's even a dev explaining it all.

    mouse over the links... Its his asura guardian game play I seriously almost wet myself.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonKing View Post
    This does also makes me wonder why Odeezee felt the need to go to the SWTOR forums and ultimately post a link to said forum discussion in the GW2 subforum. What does this accomplish? Was this topic made so GW2 fans could point and laugh at these misguided SWTOR fans for bashing the game, just so the GW2 community can bash on the SWTOR community? I honestly don't see anything good that could come out of this topic. It's just so easy for it to lead to more hostility between the two groups. I'm not exactly saying this was Odeezee's intention to cause trouble, but it can easily be interpreted as such.

    Also regardless of intentions whether good or bad, bashing a community for bashing something you like doesn't make you better than them, it's akin to an eye for an eye. You know what they say, an eye for an eye and the whole world goes blind.
    since you brought it up i will answer your questions. i go to the SWTOR forums to try and find some improvements to the game or maybe something i have missed while researching the game that would make me actually want to buy it. i have fundamental issues with SWTOR as far as how its basic combat mechanics work and the adherence to the trinity style of class/combat structure. i am a gamer so i like games and i was looking forward to playing SWTOR but that was before i started to read more about it. i am not a SW or BW fan but i am a very big MMO fan who is all about maximizing my potential within the game world and being the best at what i do.

    linking the thread was to show people what not to do if you want to have a meaningful argument, which i love, and how some people's blind fanaticism can skew people's perceptions to their own detriment, in a medium actually meant for fun and they are just potentially limiting their enjoyment by ignoring the facts available. this is a big problem with the communities today, people just don't want to learn AND understand the facts available to them so they keep spreading misinformation or just blatantly make things up and utilize the "strawman argument" with such vigor and righteousness. if people dislike a game on its own merits then that is fine, we can have a healthy debate about the pros and the cons, it's when people not only disrespect the facts but also disrespect the intelligence of the audience that it becomes and issue with me. and by and large, if people such as yourself see this behavior and let it continue then who can you blame when the animosity starts to set in?

    i have tried to politely correct people and i was given a warning by the SWTOR mods, so i have stopped posting as much as i used to as they do not want a meaningful discussion they would just prefer a biased one. i mean look at the fact that they removed the off-topic forums, which to me was a mistake, at least in the off-topic section the discussions could be kept out of the general forum.

    and about your bashing comment i disagree, i did not bash the SWTOR community, i just stated facts. just because people do not like facts that counter their particular mindset that does not invalidate the remarks i made. if people do not like one game or another let them express their view as long as it is based on ACTUAL facts that anyone can prove. but what tends to happen all too often is that people hide behind the phrase "in my opinion" but that opinion generally was created in its own little vacuum devoid of any actual facts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    I did, and he was an idiot. Just another trying to stir the pot imo.
    i hope the OP you are referring to is the OP of the thread i linked and not me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    Being a fan of both these games is abnormally hard. They are so different that they can hardly be compared, yet that's all people want to do. Why can't people just accept the fact that others like different things, and let it go at that? Why can't TOR use the classic MMO model if they can make it work? Why can't GW2 use their new systems if they can make it work? Why must everything be leaped upon with tooth and nail if it's not in accordance with someone else's personal beliefs?
    personally, as different as these two games are, people can still discuss their respective merits and maybe even learn something they did not know or had not considered. people should not be afraid to have discussions about these two games as it just leads to more ignorance and misinformation in its absence. all games compete, regardless of genre, because the most important commodity is time and as such debating/discussing two games especially in the same genre is very prudent. people not actually researching about the topics at hand then becomes the issue, but to say that because others choose not to educate themselves on the topics and make an informed decision should somehow negate all further discussion, is wrong.
    Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!!!

    Guild Wars 2: Odeezee (Necromancer) || TERA: Odeezee (Archer-Ret) || SWTOR: Odeezee (Sith Inquisitor-Ret/Jedi Sage-Ret) || GW: Odeezee Fosho (Elementalist-Ret)
    Aion: Odeezee (Sorcerer-Ret), ODZ (Spirit Master-Ret) || War
    : Odeezee (Sorcerer-Ret) || AoC: Odeezee (Demonologist-Ret) || WoW: Odeezee (Druid-Ret), Thaone (Mage-Ret)

  11. #51
    The Patient Agent TunaGhost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    In your fridge
    Posts
    310
    Why is it so hard for people to research a game before bashing it? I mean this about both sides. I've seen my fair amount of GW2 fans bashing SWTOR for no good reason. And both bash WoW and WoW bashes both of them. I don't get it. Just shut up and be happy with the game you like.

  12. #52
    People, just ignore these posts. They won't listen to you since their opinion has already been formed and they are nonresponsive for info on GW2, just because they want GW2 to suck, so more people will play SWTOR. You can either promote your own game or just write down a competitor. Don't let it get on your nerves and make you rage about it. Just ignore it, and promote GW2 whenever and everywhere you can.

  13. #53
    Scarab Lord Trollsbane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    4,484
    Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    i hope the OP you are referring to is the OP of the thread i linked and not me.
    Yes, the OP in the link you provided.

    Though, I won't lie. I wish you hadn't posted this thread at all. It doesn't serve much purpose other than another opportunity for people to generate hate and fling insults at others. Which was what the bad OP and thread of the link you used was already doing. I could easily start pulling the same type of threads from the GW2 sites, and put them in the TOR forum, and we could all fling poo all over everyone and no one would come out the wiser for any of it. We'd just all be smeared and covered in poo.

    This thread is still open because of the semi intelligent talk, but honestly, I don't see that continuing for much longer. I see it as a hate/bashing thread, and nothing more.
    Last edited by Trollsbane; 2011-10-11 at 08:44 PM.

    My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    and about your bashing comment i disagree, i did not bash the SWTOR community, i just stated facts. just because people do not like facts that counter their particular mindset that does not invalidate the remarks i made. if people do not like one game or another let them express their view as long as it is based on ACTUAL facts that anyone can prove. but what tends to happen all too often is that people hide behind the phrase "in my opinion" but that opinion generally was created in its own little vacuum devoid of any actual facts.
    Now I never said you were bashing the SWTOR community. The point I was trying to make is that this topic you have made does open up an avenue for community bashing. My last sentence about not bashing on people because their bashing on you was meant as a general statement and not directed to any one person.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    I could easily start pulling the same type of threads from the GW2 sites, and put them in the TOR forum, and we could all fling poo all over everyone and no one would come out the wiser for any of it. We'd just all be smeared and covered in poo.
    You could certainly try, but you won't see anything near the bile, hate and misinformation you see on the SWTOR official forums. That forum seems to attract the dark side!

    There are no official Guild Wars 2 forums, but the closest thing is probably Guild Wars 2 Guru. If you look at all the SWTOR threads there, you'll see most are started up as a way to discuss the game, not diss it. Most of the people posting in those threads post constructively and even praise the game, and while you get the odd troublemaker or troll talking shit, any misinformation they spread is corrected by more knowledgeable people. If the thread does get out of hand, the thread is closed, but the posts correcting misinformation are never deleted like they are on the SWTOR forums.

    Here's the only one I've seen recently:

    http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/...lic-t2284.html

  16. #56
    Scarab Lord Trollsbane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    4,484
    Some are like that, but I've definately seen others that were not as constructive or nice. =)

    My point is, I wouldn't go and find them to post them here so people can rag on "those idiots". I'd leave those idiots to their thing in their place and not worry about them.

    My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    Yes, the OP in the link you provided.

    Though, I won't lie. I wish you hadn't posted this thread at all. It doesn't serve much purpose other than another opportunity for people to generate hate and fling insults at others. Which was what the bad OP and thread of the link you used was already doing. I could easily start pulling the same type of threads from the GW2 sites, and put them in the TOR forum, and we could all fling poo all over everyone and no one would come out the wiser for any of it. We'd just all be smeared and covered in poo.

    This thread is still open because of the semi intelligent talk, but honestly, I don't see that continuing for much longer. I see it as a hate/bashing thread, and nothing more.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonKing View Post
    Now I never said you were bashing the SWTOR community. The point I was trying to make is that this topic you have made does open up an avenue for community bashing. My last sentence about not bashing on people because their bashing on you was meant as a general statement and not directed to any one person.
    i understand that topics like this are charged in that they can create partisan rhetoric, but this is why a post like this is great on these boards in particular; this is a GW2 sub-forum on a WoW site along side a SWTOR sub-forum. if we cannot have constructive debates here then where can we go for them? seriously where? instead of us "just" wanting to buck the trend of ignorance fueled rhetoric, let's actually do it. yes there may be some mud slinging here and there but by and large most people's posts have not been outlandish, most just expressed their anger over the blatant lies expressed on the SWTOR boards.

    i am currently playing GW right now to fill up my HoM (16/30) atm and i am still subbed to Aion (though i have not logged on in almost 2 months) and i want to be able to play SWTOR because as a gamer why should i miss out on a potentially good game? i just can't seem to find anything i like enough to buy it let alone pre-order. so for me, personally, a different perspective on the game is always welcomed. like i said before i am not a SW fan (i like watching good movies regardless of genre and the new ones were poorly written and badly acted and the old ones were "ok") and i am not a BW fan (tried ME and it put me to sleep so i uninstalled) so i need more than brand recognition to sway me. and since SWTOR is coming out before GW2 it would be great for me to get into it, i just find it hard to motivate myself to :/
    Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!!!

    Guild Wars 2: Odeezee (Necromancer) || TERA: Odeezee (Archer-Ret) || SWTOR: Odeezee (Sith Inquisitor-Ret/Jedi Sage-Ret) || GW: Odeezee Fosho (Elementalist-Ret)
    Aion: Odeezee (Sorcerer-Ret), ODZ (Spirit Master-Ret) || War
    : Odeezee (Sorcerer-Ret) || AoC: Odeezee (Demonologist-Ret) || WoW: Odeezee (Druid-Ret), Thaone (Mage-Ret)

  18. #58
    Human nature is scary.
    Norn Mesmer: GW2
    Rattataki Sniper: SWTOR

  19. #59
    Herald of the Titans Mighty Blue Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,769
    Yeah, mostly is was just the blatant stupidity that got me about GW2. They have the internet at their fingertips, and yet choose to stay ignorant I suppose. Me on the other hand, I looked at both games, and a few others coming out. None so far have appealed to me but GW2 because of their open-approach with GW2 and MMOs.

  20. #60
    I don't understand bashing for ethier game , I will play GW2 over TOR when it GW2 releases. But I was lucky enough to get into beta the last weekend and try it out. I made a Sith warrior and gameplay yes like WoW , but the questing like pickingup/returning quest and going into the whole stor mode thing is amazing it made me want to actually buy the game. first time made a sith warrior to level 10 making him a badass , then tried it again picking all the "good" options and it was a blast i think I will make the worlds first good sith haha =D

    GW2 obviously will be what I brag about to my friends but I will play SWTOR as a single player RPG because thayt was the only thing I found really fun about the game.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •