Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

my evenings entertainment

so i was taking a break from GW1 hardmode when i decided to take a trip to the SWTOR forums just to see what was new and interesting and i came across this thread: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=539643

now maybe it is just me, but i found the posts very entertaining and i read them all up until my post. i just find it fascinating that people can be so closed minded and willfully ignorant.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

10+ Year Old Account
    the current gaming climate we are in is so divisive but i am still amazed at how people, in light of the facts, still hold on to their disproved "opinions" or stances.

Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG

One post I saw on the official Star Wars The Old Republic forums about Guild Wars 2 was so wrong it was like the person just made stuff up for the sake of posting to make Guild Wars 2 look bad.

This thread from the Star Wars The Old Republic forum http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=519961 is a perfect example.

Especially this comment.
    "GW2 BARELY has any actually footage of the game. Most of the footage you see in GW2 are in- game cinematics but not actually game play which leads me to wonder about the game"

sigh
    As for me I plan on enjoying both of these games.
    I always post this on the Star Wars The Old Republic forums when people bash Guild Wars 2
    Last edited by Maleagant; 2011-10-11 at 01:35 AM.
    "Chaos boils in my veins."

Just giving a heads up, keep the discussion civil and don't bash any games.

OT: I think it's pretty clear from the gaming trends of the past 3-4 years, that while gamers want what's familiar. That's why we see so many carbon copy shooters ect., so many sequels, and so little deviation from the norms. As much as gamers cry about wanting to play new, interesting, original, unique IP's that try something new, they just haven't really seemed to spend the money en-mass to justify creating more risky games.

It will be interesting to see where this goes though.

Looking at threads like these makes me mad. I need to stop. =(

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Just giving a heads up, keep the discussion civil and don't bash any games.
    the problem i find with statements like these is that saying something, however true, as long as it brings about negative reactions from people either for or against said game then that it is considered bashing a game and i think that makes for a very stale discussion. people can be opposed to each others views but still make constructive and informed arguments. i just don't get why people speak so timidly these days and also why people don't even bother making informed debates /sigh

Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    well for me i can understand why they do it, fear and ignorance drives people to some very silly conclusions. when i read threads like that, alot of times i just kick back and bust out the popcorn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Listen to TotalBiscuit, he's got the right idea.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

10+ Year Old Account
    I liked WoodenPotatoes little video.

Quote Originally Posted by Maleagant View Post
    One post I saw on the official Star Wars The Old Republic forums about Guild Wars 2 was so wrong it was like the person just made stuff up for the sake of posting to make Guild Wars 2 look bad.
    Case in point, from OP's thread:

Gw 2 will be a bad game period. succesful ? perhaps, but only because you don't have to pay monthly fee, if you had too then the game would die as fast as rift aion and all those. I don't know why people hype it so much it will have the same design failures that had been around since forever. What bothers me the most ,is that the same people who complain that RPGs are dieing , that everything is turning into simplified dumbed down action rpg /action adventure, are the same that claim that the game will be the best mmo ever. I just don't get it, in fact their ultimate excuse is that the game will be PvP oriented, really? so the game is going to be an action adventure shooter like thing and they don't have a problem with it.

No quest
    No RPG elements
    Enemies will scale with your level, for no real reason braking any immersion
    Gear swapping, for no real reason other than to use macros
    Zones will be phased
    The one with the best build and connection wins every time
    There are no roles, just attack move attack move
    Homogenization, everyone knows that 1 to 3 builds will be the best and will be the most used
    Random events that will be fun for 1 month and then become a pain in the *** as they are pointless, just an addon, nothing long term
    The same grind that every mmo has
    The same endgame every mmo has
    Ugly models, asian like artstyle *it's impossible to determine what the hell most of the monsters are*
    Same problems every other mmo has, massive amounts of mobs doing nothing just walking waiting to be killed, they don't use more than 1 skill spam 1234 etc.

My expectations for tor are pretty low, but claiming GW2 and others mmos will be good games is ridiculous

"If you want to make enemies, try and change something"-Adam Jenson

Haters gonna hate. If they want to hate on one of the few games coming out in any genre except indie games that is actually trying to innovate, that's their prerogative. Just wait until the game releases. Their tune will change.
    Norn Mesmer: GW2
    Rattataki Sniper: SWTOR

WoW what are these SWTOR people smoking ? Not to be mean but....I just didn't expect that their knowledge was soo bad about the game that in comparison I did a double major in GW2 and TOR -ology. But obviously I'm choosing GW2 but really I do not care about what people play but....Wow...that was the most ignorant thread I have ever seen. That is like signing up for cooking class only to realize on the first day its advanced theoretical physics.

I think I need to lay down now..the ignorance...its draining.

Besides, if you look around on the internet, GW2 get much less overall hate than ToR. Massive neutral gaming forums like /v/, Rock Paper Shotgun and /r/gaming dislike Swtor, but praise GW2. It's all about were you look really. So far, the only sites that hate GW2 are Swtor fansites, which is to be expected really.
    Norn Mesmer: GW2
    Rattataki Sniper: SWTOR

Quote Originally Posted by Alatian View Post
    Besides, if you look around on the internet, GW2 get much less overall hate than ToR. Massive neutral gaming forums like /v/, Rock Paper Shotgun and /r/gaming dislike Swtor, but praise GW2. It's all about were you look really. So far, the only sites that hate GW2 are Swtor fansites, which is to be expected really.
    True but I suppose I'm used to, when it comes to video games, hate with at least some sort of reason (i.e. horribly made ).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alatian View Post
    "If you want to make enemies, try and change something"-Adam Jenson
    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
    -Arthur Schopenhauer

Quote Originally Posted by Maleagant View Post

This thread from the Star Wars The Old Republic forum http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=519961 is a perfect example.

Especially this comment.
    "GW2 BARELY has any actually footage of the game. Most of the footage you see in GW2 are in- game cinematics but not actually game play which leads me to wonder about the game"

sigh
    As for me I plan on enjoying both of these games.
    I always post this on the Star Wars The Old Republic forums when people bash Guild Wars 2
    God damn I love TB Nice video, I'm SOO using this!

15+ Year Old Account
    Wow, the sheer amount of baseless information and clueless slander in that thread is truly amazing. I am glad none of them are actually interested in GW2. I wouldn't want to play with them. That and the fact they are all about keeping the holy trinity around. Have fun with those wait times trying to get into a...what did they call them...their form of dungeons? Just makes my head hurt to even imagine trying to play a game with any of them.

For what it's worth, that thread has been closed.

As that thread demonstrates, your average forum warrior isn't even interested in getting his facts straight, he just wants to hear himself shout. Have MMO players always been so... partisan? What's up with this obsession with "proving" that some game is THE ONE TRUE GAME and everything else is crap? In particular, what's up with these "hardcore gamers" who are so gaming-illiterate that they can't even conceive of action-based combat and they use "Asian" as an insult?!?

RAWR!!!

OK, rant over. But seriously... folks who play one game exclusively are doing it wrong.

(Edit: that's a great video, the lighting and soft music really make it. )

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    I made myself stop just after starting the second page. So many ill-informed people in there. I hope some of yall are registered on those forums to drop some knowledge on those fools. (Always wanted to say that!)

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, reading this thread made my night too!

Just reading the gobbledygook from these schmucks almost had me rolling on the floor with laughter. I'm not joking, I almost fell out of bed, scared my hubby and pup!

As posted by Captain Cucumber, one of their fanboys claimed there's nothing to GW2. To be frank, I doubt he's ever looked at a recent video of GW2 (this year even). Hell, I hated GW1 when it first came out, my brother got me to buy it, then stopped playing due to college, so I stopped playing and moved onto WoW with some friends. Now, 6-7 years down the line, and probably $3k+ out of mine and my hubby's pockets, we're VERY tired of WoW and it's absurdities. The Trinity, the classes, pigeonholing, etc and so on.

So, while surfing the General Forum on the main WoW site, I came across a Guild Wars 2 thread. And I remembered, "Oh yeah, I tried that out, I wonder what #2 looks like." And I was blown away! And even seeing the Engineer class recently reminded me of when I played Order on Warhammer Online. But Warhammer's was clunky and you only got a few skills/turrets. The same for "Saboteurs" in Rift (albeit they're not really engineers). So I'm really glad to see the great expanse they've made on one class alone!

I'm still laughing at the post "warriors can like equip a staff and like get spells'n'crap like a mage" and another guy posted the TotalBiscuit playing an Asura Guardian, and said, "yeah, even this guy says it's true!!!11one!". I literally facepalmed.

I'm still betting most of these people saw one video, or none at all, about a year or so ago when it was first announced or something. People don't like change either, and I mean good change. Like the "Trinity" being messed with. Most of them claim they can't even "Tank" or "Heal" in GW2. But I've seen Warriors with sword'n'board. And the Elementalist looks like the "most equipped" healer thus far (spell wise). So people CAN play what they want, but they seem to thrive on the "being different than others" mindset.

In all honesty, I've seen SWTOR, and I thought "WoW in space....", so I haven't bothered really looking into it. I even brought up a recent video tonight to take another gander at it, and it just reminded me of 6-7 years of WoW... Only with lightsabers and lazerguns. =/

But so far, I can say that ArenaNet hasn't disappointed me yet. Although I would love to see a new "demo" with the Mes- I mean, 8th profession in it!

Edit: I also recently re-tried Rift because of my boredom... If you think the dungeon wait for dps in WoW is bad, Rift is even worse. Five hours of waiting! I made lunch, plopped down for some leveling, questing, etc. Hours later, I look up and it's 5pm! No pop, no roll, nothin'. Even worse are the invasions. Most people actually avoid the "non-50" zones. Not to mention, even if I did pick "tank", "healer", or "support", no one shows up to help out, so you can't get anything done. So here's hoping that ArenaNet can help shatter the pigeonholing Trinity a bit in their game and events.

Also, about Star Wars, it reminded me of this hilarious clip I saw on Cartoon Network, enjoy! (The best part is at 2:14)

Last edited by Blufossa; 2011-10-11 at 04:53 AM. Reason: Editing is just fun!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MalazanFan View Post
    I made myself stop just after starting the second page. So many ill-informed people in there. I hope some of yall are registered on those forums to drop some knowledge on those fools. (Always wanted to say that!)
    well one time in another thread about the future of MMOs i just went and corrected all the misinformation and gave links and didn't even bash SWTOR, i then got an email from Bioware stating that i was hijacking the thread and they gave me a warning, i was so lost at their reaction.

here it is for anyone interested:

Quote Originally Posted by CommunitySupport
    Dear Odeezee,

You have received a warning at STAR WARS: The Old Republic.

Reason:
    -------
    Hijacking a Thread

Your post was recently removed for violating the Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ community Rules of Conduct, specifically regarding hijacking a thread.

When replying to threads please make sure that your posts are on topic for the thread. Off topic comments that derail the discussion is considered hijacking and not allowed.

This notification is just a reminder regarding our Rules of Conduct. While no infraction points have been added to your account, we do ask that you take a moment to review our
    Rules of Conduct, as repeated violations could lead to the disabling of your posting permissions.

Feel free to contact the TOR Community Team at
    bwacommunitysupport@bioware.com if you have any questions about this message or its contents. Thank you for respecting our position and helping us create a fun and safe environment for our community.
    -------

Original Post:
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/showthread.php?p=9213161
    Quote Originally Posted by NetNebular View Post
    This wall of text made me stop reading as soon as I saw Terra And Guild Wars 2 mentioned in the same sentence.
    Did Guild Wars become really successfull?
    SO what with all the hype for the sequel????????
    Top Selling PC games of All Time it's an old list from 2008 could not find a more recent one but the sales for GW1 are now over ~7 million copies

Quote Originally Posted by dustyeleven View Post
    And please, don't buy into the media's double-standard. GW2 was announced before TOR, has been in preorder longer than TOR, still has no solid release date, and has hardly released any info in comparison to TOR.
    yes GW2 was announced before SWTOR, the pre-order is an unofficial pre-order that make outlets have for games whereas SWTOR's pre-order is official, yes it has not release date as the release date will be determined by beta feedback (starting closed beta before the end of the year), and as far as info on GW2 of which there is an extremely large amount you can go to the official GW2 site or the ArenaNet dev blog site or the official GW2 wikisite or the main english GW2 fansite (on which the devs often post and gather feedback from the community)

Quote Originally Posted by Feeblezak View Post
    GW2 is not a major MMO and should not be treated like one.
    Guild Wars 2 IGN Game Preview
    Guild Wars 2 Gamescom 2011 Boss Demo
    Guild Wars 2 PAX East 2011 PC Gamer Video Montage

Quote Originally Posted by Zoiks View Post
    SWTOR is an MMO that's adding more single player RPG elements.

GW2 is an action RPG that's adding more MMO elements.

See the difference?
    this is incorrect as they are both MMORPGs with some in-game mechanics emphasizing the RPG experience found in most SPRPGs, and as for the combat style you alluded to by calling GW2 an action RPG the difference is that one chooses to have a traditional combat system (SWTOR) while the other chooses a more action oriented one (GW2).

Warnings serve as a reminder to you of the forum's rules, which you are expected to understand and follow.

All the best,
    STAR WARS: The Old Republic