Page 1 of 2
LastLast

So I fucking loved KOTOR ( back in 2001)

I loved KOTOR, the original one. I remember playing it back in 2001 thinking "God imagine if this game was an online game, how awesome would that be" Then 2 years later SWG came out. At first I was amazed by SWG, but after about 2 years of that in 2005, SOE ruined the game by introducing a "revamp", then they ruined the game even more with another revamp a year after that called the NGE or something.

So after that I got into WoW and I've pretty much all but forgotten about star wars overall. But after almost 10 years...my old dreams of having a huge online KOTOR are finally coming true in about 9 weeks time. But I've got so much invested into WoW in the last 6 years that it's making me feel like I can't drop WoW for it.

I have a weird feeling towards SWTOR - On one hand I hope it is REALLY successful and an amazing fun game to play, but on the other hand I hope it fails and dies a miserable death like every other MMO so far. I hope it's something special because I don't want to quit WoW to play a medicore game, if I am going to drop WoW, it needs to be for a game that is simply amazing and makes me completely forget WoW even exists.

Do you think SWTOR can do that?

KOTOR came out in 2003.

Either way, I don't understand the mentality of anyone who wants something to "fail and die a miserable death like every other MMO so far." Competition makes developers compete, which means better games come out. Furthermore, what exactly does the success of one game have to do with WoW whatsoever? You're basically asking for an entire company (BioWare) to bankrupt itself by producing a high budget came and then not make a return on it. That's a lot of lost jobs and a lot of investments gone to waste in an otherwise ambitious leap in video game storytelling. So in short, you're being a dick. Try SWTOR out, if you like it you like it. If not, don't play it. What comes down to is whether or not you value your time in one game over another. Anything else is just self-centered.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelms View Post
    I loved KOTOR, the original one. I remember playing it back in 2001 thinking "God imagine if this game was an online game, how awesome would that be" Then 2 years later SWG came out. At first I was amazed by SWG, but after about 2 years of that in 2005, SOE ruined the game by introducing a "revamp", then they ruined the game even more with another revamp a year after that called the NGE or something.

So after that I got into WoW and I've pretty much all but forgotten about star wars overall. But after almost 10 years...my old dreams of having a huge online KOTOR are finally coming true in about 9 weeks time. But I've got so much invested into WoW in the last 6 years that it's making me feel like I can't drop WoW for it.

I have a weird feeling towards SWTOR - On one hand I hope it is REALLY successful and an amazing fun game to play, but on the other hand I hope it fails and dies a miserable death like every other MMO so far. I hope it's something special because I don't want to quit WoW to play a medicore game, if I am going to drop WoW, it needs to be for a game that is simply amazing and makes me completely forget WoW even exists.

So you wont quit WoW for a mediocre game,but yet youve invested 6 years into a mediocre game.Makes alittle sense...sure.

Swtor will be a great game either way,why?Because its Star wars,i dont know about other people but I was grew up watching the movies,playing the games,reading the books.Nothing could be beter than a star wars MMO.And yeah SWG did get pretty bad after a while,but i was never to drawn to that game anyways.It all comes down to a personal decision..do you want something new,or do you wanna keep playing wow,a game thats been ruined and driven into the ground by its gaming company.

But I've got so much invested into WoW in the last 6 years that it's making me feel like I can't drop WoW for it.
    This must be Blizzards big secret. Who cares about balance, graphics, lore, questing, content etc when people will stay only because they feel like they have to because of what they have done.

Seriously, who cares what you have accomplished in this game if you may never play it again? I have spent more than the average amount of time and effort into WoW, and none of that work could keep me from enjoying anther game. Don't play a game for what you have done, play a game for what you want to do.

Oh, SWTOR is amazing. I've played the Beta and I can't wait for it to come out. I won't be rushing to max level because unlike WoW, there are plenty of things to keep me entertained while leveling.

I was a freshman in HS at the time and i remember waking up early just to play KOTOR, one of my absolute favorite games.

SWTOR will be amazing, but remember a game is only as amazing as you make it. If you're out to look for flaws in a game then chances are you'll find it. Hopefully you have your name in the hat for a chance at beta because I will say this, I think this game will be booming when it comes out. Star Wars fans from around the globe are going to log on to play this game, people like me will be playing Star Wars and WoW (yes I will say it, I still like WoW) with Star Wars taking up 90% of my free time between raiding on WoW, playing my music, work I will probably invest around 20 - 30 hours a week on SWTOR.

Besides I ask everyone this, who hasn't wanted to be a Jedi/Smuggler/Sith Inquisitor/Bounty Hunter/Trooper since they first laid eyes on Star Wars? If I could be a Jedi IRL you bet your ass I'd be training for that every day of my life just to be that awesome.

If you loved Kotor, you will love this game, simple as

(I am replaying kotor atm, and will play nr2 when Im done with the first one!)

Deleted
    WoW's a great game but. Sometime you have to just move on. I was playing WoW for 5 years and just quit. Change is good bro! SWTOR looks like it's going to be a really decent game. Don't think it's fair to compare it to all them other crappy MMO's like Archlord, LOTRO, whatever..

Anywho, why not just buy it and test it out? If you've been paying for WoW for 6 years i'm pretty sur eyou can afford to pay for another mmo for a month.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I can see the problem here...you loved the original SWG, the original swg sucked, it completely sucked, Jedi in composite armor with lightsabers that did the same damage as common sword. Only certain combat classes were playable and if you took one of the ones that wasn't you gimped yourself, the CU was a blessing, it made it so you could actually play what you wanted to, the NGE on the other hand sucked out loud.

If you even have the slightest hope that ToR might fail, please never...ever play the game.

I agree with Creedster.

Wow is a great game, but after raiding since 2005 and are currently 2/7 heroic in the unnnessescary nerfed Firelands. My priest has over 11k achievement points and more or less every tier set inngame, par the removed t3, and I know where your coming from. Its ALOT of hours put in, but as Creedster so adequatly put, sometimes its good to change the scenery for a month or two

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Klypto View Post
    KOTOR came out in 2003.

Either way, I don't understand the mentality of anyone who wants something to "fail and die a miserable death like every other MMO so far."
    He means, that if he can't leave WoW to play and enjoy SW:TOR, none should.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    stop crying really..wow had his best time and activison is now milking the cow caus they know tor and GW2 will probarly take 30% of there subs, at least ALOT of guild ( on forums , my server , irl friend , skype , vent etc ) already going to quit and play GW2 or TOR. if you like to play SWTOR, go play SWTOR, if you dont like SWTOR or dont want to play it , then dont bas about it on the forums...stick to wow and make fun there i know im going to play swtor and GW2 and probarly come back to wow sometimes had best memories from all my game experience ( 12 years) in world of warcraft made great friends and great experience

Nobody should feel like they are shackled to a single game. Remember the one absolute rule that all games must adhere to: Games are played to have fun. This is the primary, most basic reason to play a game. For fun.

How to relate this to your problem, OP? Here's a question for you: did you have fun in WoW? If yes, then excellent. WoW has served its purpose. All the gear and achievements you've accumulated do not matter, because at the end of the day it was fun to collect them. The fun was the purpose, not keeping the gear and achievements.

With this in mind, here's another question: are you still having fun playing WoW? If yes, great. Keep playing. But if you think all the things you've achieved are shackling you to WoW and are the only reason you are still playing... Just remember the golden rule. Have fun. If you're not having fun, then do something else with your time.

At the end of the day, even if you did stick with WoW and all the gear, achievements, and everything else: what does that give you? Really? A sense of satisfaction, sure. But it doesn't translate into any benefit other than a slightly larger epeen. That does not help you at all in anything.

So give SWTOR a try. See what it's like. If it's more fun than WoW, then don't feel guilty or bad about changing games. At the end of the day, everything you've achieved in WoW is meaningless anyway. So you may as well stick to the golden rule: Have Fun. Nothing else matters when you play a game.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...hos/Kae/simple (he's in his offspec ret gear)

I left that near 14k achievement toon with amazing raiding achievements and amazing Feats of Strengths and a great collection of rare pets and mounts, because I no longer enjoyed WoW. Don't play WoW just because you're afraid of leaving behind years of work. It's just a game, let go. If you don't enjoy it anymore, don't play it.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Deleted
    KOTOR was amazing, that is a big truth!

Now, don't be stick to WoW just because you have invested a lot of time in it.
    I already changed my WoW payments to 1 month only and as soon as SWtoR comes out, I'll froze my WoW account and focus on SW.
    Remember, what you have done in WoW will stay there so, if you want to get back, everything will be just how you left it

10+ Year Old Account
    To put it simple, yes. I got into beta last week and have spent about 15-20 hours playing already and I have to say the game is awesome. Warfronts are epic and a blast to play. Leveling and questing are a lot of fun. No more crap quests to loot so many of one item off mobs and having to spend an hour on it because of crap drop rates. The story based flashpoints are great so far as well as the heroic group quests. Plus world bosses are a nice bonus that Blizzard forgot to add in their games after BC.

Either way, fun game and it will do amazingly well.

Thanks to Scythen for the sig

My fiancee got a beta invite this weekend. I played for only a little bit and had a blast. It really does play like KOTOR the MMO...you've got an involved story that takes time to actually build brand-new main characters, something that WoW doesn't do because the fiction already exists elsewhere. Even when WoW does get new, big characters involved you still feel detached...in SWTOR, you never feel that way. The setting is the only thing taken for granted, BioWare builds the story from the ground up in every other regard and makes you feel like an important part of it. It's really amazing and immersive, unprecedented in an MMO, and doesn't keep you at arm's length like WoW does.

My fiancee has gotten her Jedi Sage to level 16 and she's been absolutely hooked like a meth addict. Watching her work her way through the story, running the flashpoints and doing the fun space-combat minigame made me insanely jealous that I was stuck last night wiping for 4 hours on Heroic Ragnaros...a boss that I already killed, story-wise, 6 years ago. SWTOR is going to crush WoW, and the reason why is because Bioware aren't afraid to deconstruct the core fiction like Blizzard are.

I'm in the beta and believe me, I'd love to spill the beans and tell you everything and all about the game(pesky NDA). I can say this, if you are a fan of Star Wars, KOTOR, Bioware, or story driven MMOs you want this game. If you are looking for something to play besides WoW, try this game and you will most likely stick around. All the people who say SWTOR is nothing more than "WoW in space", imho, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temeluchus View Post
    . All the people who say SWTOR is nothing more than "WoW in space", imho, you'll be pleasantly surprised.
    People who say this are of the same kind that said: Oh Battlefield 1942 is just a copy of CS, with vehicles and in a WWII setting.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

totally different kind of game then kotor was. that was more of a action/sci-fi and this is a mmorpg.

---------- Post added 2011-10-11 at 03:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Babaganouch View Post
    People who say this are of the same kind that said: Oh Battlefield 1942 is just a copy of CS, with vehicles and in a WWII setting.
    have u even played either of those games. there both shooters but vastly different