Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

[TV] Family Guy [Spoilers]

Evening everyone. I have something I need to ask of this community after having watched the new episode of Family Guy tonight.

Does it seem like the show as a whole is becoming more and more serious and less about the slap-happy humor it was in the first couple seasons?

For example: Tonight was about Meg and how everyone treated her. She told everyone off about what they did wrong to her and all of a sudden I found myself thinking... This isn't funny at all. Even the bit with Brian doing drugs wasn't funny.

I noticed this about some of the other episodes including the recent one where Brian and Stewie get locked in the bank vault. Things were very sentimental, deep, and emotional. It was very strange and if this is the turn that Seth Mc is taking, I doubt i'll continue watching the show.

Thoughts?
    Big thanks to Shyama for the sig!

10+ Year Old Account
    Family Guy is a bad show and you shouldn't watch let alone care about its "story telling". If you can even call their disgusting inconsistent blob of supposed narrative and character development storytelling.
    Last edited by Fuzzzie; 2011-10-11 at 03:37 AM. Reason: Fixed the junk

Quote Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
    Family Guy is a bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad badbad bad bad badbad bad ba dbad sbasao bfaubo asubfoafu oasubf oasubou bsdfobu sf show and you shouldn't watch let alone care about it.
    Why is it bad, exactly? Simply stating that it's bad doesn't make it bad.

OT: I have noticed it, and the "new" episodes just aren't hitting the mark, for me at least. I'm starting to lose interest. So, yes, I agree with you OP.

It's not quite as funny as it used to be, but it's still a great show. I guess I'm having the same problem with South Park. This was one of the funniest shows of all time in its prime, now it's barely worth watching.

Well, after so many years and episodes I can't blame them for making a few that are perhaps more telling a story and less about retarded humor. I know it's a comedy show, and I did miss the new episode you are speaking of, but I didn't think the one with them in the vault was too bad. Now when I see episodes from the first season or two they are pretty unwatchable now, those are the truly unfunny ones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    Why is it bad, exactly? Simply stating that it's bad doesn't make it bad.
    The characters are all blank slates that are ever changing for the convenience of a poorly written joke that is often implemented horribly so as to detract from the plot, which itself is often so contrived and pointless that it's a miracle the "characters" in the show even find the time to give two shits about it. It seems more like they just shit out a billion throw away jokes and then come up with some story to string through all of them until the credits roll. There is no real continuity so it's hard to care about any of the characters even when they actually have moments of development.

It was good in season one and passable in season two, since then it's devolved into drivvle that the world should let die. The longer shows like this exist, the more shows will pop up in the same vein, it will make shittier television shittier and more common. Every now and then they write an episode that is actually really well written and well animated, but it's sandwiched between the same old shit so I can only take it as a plea for help from the actual good writers they keep locked away in their dungeon.

if it's not clear, I really don't like this show >_>
    Last edited by Porimlys; 2011-10-11 at 03:42 AM.

Now when I see episodes from the first season or two they are pretty unwatchable now, those are the truly unfunny ones.
    Not the greatest work ever but it still wasn't awful. 3+ seasons really nailed it for me. But I honestly can hardly watch these new ones.

Family Guy is a bad show and you shouldn't watch let alone care about its "story telling". If you can even call their disgusting inconsistent blob of supposed narrative and character development storytelling.
    K. Your opinion is noted.
    Big thanks to Shyama for the sig!

Quote Originally Posted by Radoria View Post
    It's not quite as funny as it used to be, but it's still a great show. I guess I'm having the same problem with South Park. This was one of the funniest shows of all time in its prime, now it's barely worth watching.
    I definitely agree with the South Park statement. It's simply not funny anymore, and they're just attempting to get shock value over some of the idiotic, and simply offensive, crap they pull. And I used to really, really enjoy it, so that's saying something. Sigh...seems like all of the good shows drag on for far to long, and don't stay true to what made them entertaining to watch in the first place.

That's pretty much what I'm finding is happening to Family Guy. It's trying too hard to be funny, and it feels forced...and not funny.

10+ Year Old Account
    I said to my friend a while ago that the simpsons is becoming more like old family guy *cutaways, unrealistic situations, focus on toilet humour* and that family guy was becoming more like the old simpsons *emphasis on family relations, dealing with political and social issues in a satirical manner, etc.* and that it was bad for both shows. The new series of both shows seem to be continuing with that bleeding effect.

Family Guy really did used to be funny. It did. It hasn't been ever since it's revival, though.

In seasons 1-3 I feel that there actually was some effort to make the characters somewhat consistent. They had moments that could be considered genuine. However, they have taken all characterization away from the characters, and made them all the same. Lois, for example, used to be somewhat the straight woman, but now she is exactly the same as Peter. On the topic of the straight man, Brian was the leading one, but now he has become little more then a vehicle to pass off MacFarlane's own views to a wide audience. Chris and Meg have all but been eliminated, they really don't even count anymore. The new Stewie personifies the biggest problem with the series - they have moved away from somewhat witty jokes into complete shock/gross out humor.

There have always been cut-away jokes, and it may just be nostalgia talking, but I feel they where far funnier in the first 3 seasons. However, without a doubt the non-cutaway jokes where 100x better. Just the quick random phrases with a good base humor are missed sorely. For example in the episode where Peter becomes Death the pilot says to him "You're not a pilot, I know every pilot in the world!" Rapid, unexpected and ridiculous things like this, that take 2 seconds, are part of the core of it's old and better humor. Now we're more likely to have Stewie just talk about gay sex or Peter insult Meg for no reason.

As for the new seasons, I have seen a few of the quasi-serious episodes. I can appreciate what they are trying to do, it seems to have a bit more emphasis on character development (Like the one where Brian and Stewie are locked in the safe) but it is far too late.This would have worked in the first few seasons, but we've had years and years of the characters becoming less and less unique as I mentioned before, it can't be fixed now. They also have trouble balancing it with comedy, they can't seem to get both in at the same time.

Another problem is they absolutely can't write enough content for each episode. The cutaways to entire music videos, and God forbid Conway Twitty, are simply unacceptable. Nothing else would even try to get away with this which leads me to my last problem with Family Guy. Family Guy is a relic, it's popularity is artificial. The first 3 seasons came and went with a good many fans, but the show was ended. However, after it's replays on Adult Swim where it picked up popularity, it become vastly popular. This popularity brought it back, but also made it the shell of a show it is today. It's season 4 revival was met with much anticipation, I myself was quite excited. I watched it and was disappointing. However, it didn't matter if the show was bad now, because it was popular. The next few seasons where followed by a high concentration of mindless viewers who only watched it because everyone else did. They got stuck in this rut and continued to keep it alive, even though I am sure many started to begin to realize it's distinct drop in quality.

I really do like to try and keep an open mind about personal opinions, but it astounds me how anyone can defend it at this point. I once talked to a girl who told me that the 4-5 minute Conway Twitty cutaway was hilarious... I care about comedy, and I wanted to deck her. If this trend continues it's popularity, a generation could end up making this the primary type of "comedy" and the world would become a much less bearable place.

TL;DR
    Family Guy used to be good, it became so popular that Seth MacFarlane can serve whatever shit he feels and people will lap it up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its good to know other people share my view that Family Guy is garbage. I was beginning to think I was the only one.

IMO Seth McFarlane is too biased in his political satire. South Park always did it right, they would make everyone look stupid and not take sides. Except Mormans and Scientologists of course. Also Family Guy's jokes never have anything to do with the story, its all just filler since they can't seem to write a plot that is worth a whole ~25 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy View Post
    Family Guy really did used to be funny. It did. It hasn't been ever since it's revival, though.

In seasons 1-3 I feel that there actually was some effort to make the characters somewhat consistent. They had moments that could be considered genuine. However, they have taken all characterization away from the characters, and made them all the same. Lois, for example, used to be somewhat the straight woman, but now she is exactly the same as Peter. On the topic of the straight man, Brian was the leading one, but now he has become little more then a vehicle to pass off MacFarlane's own views to a wide audience. Chris and Meg have all but been eliminated, they really don't even count anymore. The new Stewie personifies the biggest problem with the series - they have moved away from somewhat witty jokes into complete shock/gross out humor.

There have always been cut-away jokes, and it may just be nostalgia talking, but I feel they where far funnier in the first 3 seasons. However, without a doubt the non-cutaway jokes where 100x better. Just the quick random phrases with a good base humor are missed sorely. For example in the episode where Peter becomes Death the pilot says to him "You're not a pilot, I know every pilot in the world!" Rapid, unexpected and ridiculous things like this, that take 2 seconds, are part of the core of it's old and better humor. Now we're more likely to have Stewie just talk about gay sex or Peter insult Meg for no reason.

As for the new seasons, I have seen a few of the quasi-serious episodes. I can appreciate what they are trying to do, it seems to have a bit more emphasis on character development (Like the one where Brian and Stewie are locked in the safe) but it is far too late.This would have worked in the first few seasons, but we've had years and years of the characters becoming less and less unique as I mentioned before, it can't be fixed now. They also have trouble balancing it with comedy, they can't seem to get both in at the same time.

Another problem is they absolutely can't write enough content for each episode. The cutaways to entire music videos, and God forbid Conway Twitty, are simply unacceptable. Nothing else would even try to get away with this which leads me to my last problem with Family Guy. Family Guy is a relic, it's popularity is artificial. The first 3 seasons came and went with a good many fans, but the show was ended. However, after it's replays on Adult Swim where it picked up popularity, it become vastly popular. This popularity brought it back, but also made it the shell of a show it is today. It's season 4 revival was met with much anticipation, I myself was quite excited. I watched it and was disappointing. However, it didn't matter if the show was bad now, because it was popular. The next few seasons where followed by a high concentration of mindless viewers who only watched it because everyone else did. They got stuck in this rut and continued to keep it alive, even though I am sure many started to begin to realize it's distinct drop in quality.

I really do like to try and keep an open mind about personal opinions, but it astounds me how anyone can defend it at this point. I once talked to a girl who told me that the 4-5 minute Conway Twitty cutaway was hilarious... I care about comedy, and I wanted to deck her. If this trend continues it's popularity, a generation could end up making this the primary type of "comedy" and the world would become a much less bearable place.

TL;DR
    Family Guy used to be good, it became so popular that Seth MacFarlane can serve whatever shit he feels and people will lap it up.
    This sums up my feelings pretty well, except I'd probably shorten the time that it could be considered good. Season 1 and 2, maybe parts of 3.
    Last edited by Porimlys; 2011-10-11 at 04:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    SKIP TO 6:50

Rule of Thumb: If the healer's HPS is higher than your DPS, you're doing it wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's hard to laugh at Family Guy when there are shows out there like American Dad and Workaholics and South Park and Tosh.0. Plus Beavis & Butt-head are returning. GG!

God and can you believe that he's remaking the Flintstones? It's just going to be Family Guy with a rock-skin. Fat idiot main character with a hot wife.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
    The characters are all blank slates that are ever changing for the convenience of a poorly written joke that is often implemented horribly so as to detract from the plot, which itself is often so contrived and pointless that it's a miracle the "characters" in the show even find the time to give two shits about it. It seems more like they just shit out a billion throw away jokes and then come up with some story to string through all of them until the credits roll. There is no real continuity so it's hard to care about any of the characters even when they actually have moments of development.

It was good in season one and passable in season two, since then it's devolved into drivvle that the world should let die. The longer shows like this exist, the more shows will pop up in the same vein, it will make shittier television shittier and more common. Every now and then they write an episode that is actually really well written and well animated, but it's sandwiched between the same old shit so I can only take it as a plea for help from the actual good writers they keep locked away in their dungeon.

if it's not clear, I really don't like this show >_>

I'm sorry, you're trying to find some sort of gripping storyline in a show that has a 1 year old mastermind and a talking dog?

Its a show made to be silly and provoke humour from those few who enjoy watching silly shows no need for a plot, or in depth characters for that matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyxxi View Post
    I'm sorry, you're trying to find some sort of gripping storyline in a show that has a 1 year old mastermind and a talking dog?

Its a show made to be silly and provoke humour from those few who enjoy watching silly shows no need for a plot, or in depth characters for that matter.
    But I know of a vast plethora of shows on television who are quite capable of giving us silly and provocative humor while still being able to respect it's characters and having interesting stories. So why should we shrug and say it's okay when this one doesn't? I think it's a matter of standards, and that's why I'm so damn fervent about disliking this show. Sacrificing plots and characters for silly humor is a fruitless effort when other shows are proving they can have it all. So I just don't buy that argument.
    Last edited by Porimlys; 2011-10-11 at 07:16 AM.

I've never really enjoyed Family Guy since the first few seasons.

I'll admit, after reading this (and seeing the Suicide Prevention episode), I tuned in to the re-run tonight. I have to say, I'm very happy that it's taking a more serious direction.

It is, however, very blatant that they're trying to rip-off South Park tackling heavier messages. The difference, however, being that South Park does so with satire (which is, admittedly, lost on most people who just claim the show as a christ-bashing hatefest), and that Family Guy does so with irrelevant, pointless, blatantly retarded jokes which are sickening to anyone with higher mental functions (such as those beyond the capacity to breathe and a Pavlovian mastery of some guttural noise that can be likened to laughter).

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taros View Post
    It's hard to laugh at Family Guy when there are shows out there like American Dad and Workaholics and South Park and Tosh.0. Plus Beavis & Butt-head are returning. GG!
    American Dad is sub par at best, South Park got boring after season 4, Beavies and Butthead was NEVER good(all of this is just my opinion).

But since roughly season 5(including season 5) or so of Family Guy it started to get really meh, it got good again for season 8 and half of season 9 was decent, but the 2 new episodes really shows tha the writers has started to get bored and lose interest.

Ladies and Gents, I had to register just to comment on all of your posts. If any of you really believe of what you have written then read on, if you however receive enjoyment from expressing your own opinions as statements, then ignore my post.
    First of all, none of you sound very credible when saying the show is bad or the writers are bored and so on. You are not the all mighty criteria for the rest of the world and there is not a way for you to know what is going on in the writers minds unless you personally know them and they have told you. So my question to all is why watch a show that does not interest you and then bitch about it. Just stop watching and move on. There are plenty of people out there who still enjoy the show. It is meant for those people. Also Polymris, no matter how many explanations you pull out of your hat to prove your point, it's still only your point not a fact. No disrespect intended to any of you people, just trying to make a point that if you don't like something, move on. Not a big deal. It's ok to dislike or like thinks, it sounds unintelligent to force those opinions onto other people. We all have different tastes and like different things.
    Some of you did say it is only your opinions and I respect you for that, to the rest of you: find something that will bring you enjoyment and not negativity. Me personally, I loved the 2 new episodes.