Poll: Would you like these changes?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Potential World PVP changes?

These changes would obviously just apply on PVP servers.

Outside of molten front and tol barad world pvp is essentially just small time ganking. Even raids on stormwind/org are relatively rare due to the tuning of guards and the ability of players to just stay unflagged until the invaders are at a more killable level.
    Make anyone in a faction based town killable.
    Put the guards down to the level of standard 85 mobs.
    Reward players for both offense and defense (perhaps by inflating the requirements for and rewards for the city killer/defender based achievements.)
    This would encourage players to use the other Horde/Alli cities more if they wished to avoid conflict.
    Neutral cities and Neutral Quest hubs would maintain sanctuary status/murderous guards against PvP.

I would absolutely love to sign in and see the Org AH packed full of 85 alliance, surrounded by corpses.

Would other people enjoy this?

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'd love to see world PvP make a comeback but i dont think this is the way to do it. The city guards are elite because when you fight them you are generally in a big raid group (same reason raid and instance mobs are elite) and they would otherwise offer no challenge or protection.

Generally world pvp doesnt occur in cities either, if they want to bring back world PvP they need to give people a reason to be out in the world and take away flying mounts so people are forced to work together as a team to do stuff. Right now there isnt really much difference between a pvp and a pve server sadly

Bumping up the honor for world pvp kills would certainly help encourage it but with pvp the way it is and resilience now a lot of people simply avoid getting involved

But how would you avoid getting involved if it was right where you were queuing

I certainly understand that the guards are meant to offer protection, but i feel that as an 85 player i should be able to outclass a NPC who spends their day standing at a gate!

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    why would i be queuing right in the middle of a pack of angry players trying to kill me ? I would be sitting safely on my flying mount in the sky or the middle of no where.

Also if a lvl 85 can comfortably kill guards there is little point to having them, may as well rely on players to defend the cities. Guards are there to encourage the opposing faction to attack in large numbers

I want to rely on players to defend the cities! But the guards FAIL at encouraging the opposing faction to attack in large numbers (at least on my server.)

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I almost never see city attacks, there is very little reason to ever do it more than once for the bear mount, hence why i dont think this is a viable option to increase world pvp. Players need to have their own cities as a sanctuary when they are leveling up etc and once you are lvl 60+ it no longer matters as you have a flyer and can access Shattrath and Dalaran for neutral sanctuaries with AH's etc in them. The only result I see from your suggestion would be needless penalising of low level players

10+ Year Old Account
    Moving this to the PvP forum.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Splatter View Post
    The city guards are elite because when you fight them you are generally in a big raid group (same reason raid and instance mobs are elite) and they would otherwise offer no challenge or protection.
    In world pvp the challenge should be provided by players, not NPCs. And the protection should be provided by players as well. All they have to do is provide incentives to do so (for those people who are unable to do things just for the fun of it).

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by furniture View Post
    In world pvp the challenge should be provided by players, not NPCs. And the protection should be provided by players as well. All they have to do is provide incentives to do so (for those people who are unable to do things just for the fun of it).
    I dont see the challenge in removing guards and flagging everyone within the city for pvp. How is 85's anihilating everyone below lvl 60 and unable to fly to safety world PvP? its just ganking with no sanctuary for lowbies. World pvp is better suited for the "world" not within the cities. Blizzard will never allow that sort of world pvp where low level new players have no safe location. Scaring off new players is just bad business.

I'm all for world PvP but i think within the faction cities is a terrible place for it to occur. If you want to improve world PvP you first need to adjust faction imbalance as well, when one faction is 90% of the server population then its not pvp so much as domination.

Quote Originally Posted by Yourcatdead View Post
    That's the point. It's a PvP server meaning players should defend shit they want to keep by the players protecting it, not guards.

Need to find my World of Guardcraft thread.
    Again there is no incentive to defend, the main cities offer nothing to a lvl 85 player they cant get from Shat or Dalaran

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Splatter View Post
    I dont see the challenge in removing guards and flagging everyone within the city for pvp. How is 85's anihilating everyone below lvl 60 and unable to fly to safety world PvP? its just ganking with no sanctuary for lowbies.
    Without guards most of the fighting that would happen would be between level 85s, because they constitute the majority of players found in cities. Lower level players would have no difficulty to stay alive, it's not like every inch of every city would be instantly covered by level 85 enemy players.

World pvp is better suited for the "world" not within the cities.
    I would like wow to have both, really. The world itself is in vast majority devoid of pvp, or even of any activity at all, and this is something blizzard should really address. It's a whole part of the game that goes mostly unused and could be used for interesting things, perhaps some more involved world pvp. I was thinking that a form of world pvp with a persistent state with capturable forts / towns could be a good way to put the game world to good use while also providing something interesting to do besides dailies/instances/BGs.

Blizzard will never allow that sort of world pvp where low level new players have no safe location. Scaring off new players is just bad business.
    They have the option to roll on pve servers. Blizzard should perhaps just communicate the difference between pvp and pve server better for new players and direct them toward pve servers by default, with big, clear warnings of what would await them on pvp servers.

I'm all for world PvP but i think within the faction cities is a terrible place for it to occur. If you want to improve world PvP you first need to adjust faction imbalance as well, when one faction is 90% of the server population then its not pvp so much as domination.
    Faction unbalance is another problem and one that can't really be fixed because they can't force people to move to different servers without their consent. The pvp concepts discussed here could be implemented as a new server type, some kind of "more hardcore" pvp server, and only reasonably balanced pvp servers could be converted to this new server type.
    Last edited by mmocd6cf53cb07; 2011-10-11 at 12:35 PM.