Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Crafting in Guild Wars 2

Hello! And welcome to the Crafting Topic for MMO-Champion. This thread will serve as an explanation and discussion about crafting. How does it work, is it worth doing? And can I be arsed to do it? I will provide with quoted pieces with information about crafting.

Crafting is the act of making equipment or consumables using gathered materials. The crafting system is divided into a variety of specific crafting professions called disciplines, two of which the player can have active at one time and switch to any of the other six for a fee. Each craft has several levels of advancement; the pacing of the advancement through the levels is intended to match the players' progression through the game, so they should be able to craft items of their level without creating excess items they do not need.
    The items obtainable through crafting will have unique appearances but the statistics on the items are no better or worse than items attained through other ways of playing the game.
    So as I read here is that the crafting doesn't share any looks with the (dropped/bought) items/armors/weapons in the game. So if you want to look differently, you can roll a profession who can craft armor/weapons. More about that in the next part.

There are eight crafting professions, each specializing in a different discipline:
    Weaponsmiths craft melee weapons, such as swords, axes and hammers.
    Huntsmen craft ranged weapons like shortbows, longbows and pistols, as well as torches and warhorns.
    Artificers craft magical weapons such as staves and scepters.
    Armorsmiths craft heavy armor pieces.
    Leatherworkers craft medium armor pieces.
    Tailors craft light armor pieces.
    Jewelcrafters craft jewelry, such as rings and necklaces.
    Cooks can prepare food which characters can eat for temporary combat buffs.
    A character can have two crafting disciplines active at a time, but can change their specializations at any time by visiting a master craftsman and paying a fee. All skill points and recipes learned in a discipline are saved when switching. The more points already invested in a discipline however, the more it will cost for a player to switch to that discipline. The intent of this system is to encourage trading while allowing every player to feasibly craft items that they want.
    To explain in short; You may take up to 2 professions and there aren't any 2nd professions (to all you WoW'ers) These can be learned and unlearned at any time, however; When you unlearn a profession and reroll that profession later on, you WILL be able to keep all your learned recipes and skill points. Ain't that great?!

Each discipline has 400 skill points spread over several levels. A novice will become an initiate in a discipline when they have completed 100 skill points in that discipline. Each item crafted gives a certain amount of crafting experience; this experience applies to any of the character's currently active disciplines that could use that item. For example, a basal mace haft only gives experience to the weaponsmith track, while making cured leather hide will level both huntsman and weaponsmith.
    As a player advances in skill additional basic components will automatically be unlocked, allowing more combinations and thus the chance to discover new recipes. This helps to maintain a measure of progress and restricts players from creating items beyond their level. The crafting skill level is also used to determine some titles and achievements.
    Basically this part explains about the max skill points and the levels the skill points are being granted. For instance. 0/50 - 50/100 - 100/150.

Items can be made at crafting stations present in cities and major outposts. Each discipline has a different station to use; swords are created at an anvil and logs are made into planks on a woodworking bench. When interacting with a station, an interface appears, and up to four types of materials can be combined. When the correct materials to create a specific item are placed in the station then the item can be made.
    The crafting process cannot fail. Critical success is possible but this does not improve the quality of the item; instead it grants another bonus such as increased experience or a "refund" of some of the materials used.
    I wonder how this works, from what I read this might be something which reminds me of Minecraft, an interface where you need to imput items on the right place to get a new item. If people know valid information, please provide so I can update it.

Recipes tell players what materials are necessary to craft an item. Some recipes are learned as a player's level in a crafting discipline rises, while others are available exclusively from trainers or as loot. However, most recipes must be discovered through experimenting with various combinations of materials. When a new item is created, its recipe is learned for the character, allowing this character to access it at any time. Recipes for items are universal across the player base.
    This is pretty straight forward, every profession has standard recipes to learn while there are some recipes that you can obtain in rare loot or world drops.

Equipment Slots;

Head Slot
    Chest Slot
    Shoulders Slot
    Leg Slot
    Feet Slot

Accessories

Necklace
    Left Ear
    Right Ear
    Cloak
    Right Ring
    Left Ring

Weapon

Weapon Set 1

Main Hand/2 Handed
    Offhand

Weapon Set 2 (If you character can have 2).

So to go deeper on this. Earrings.. that's new for me, I wonder if these will have stats as well, so that every character will need earrings. Then my 2nd thought is, will this be shown on your character? And hopefully we have the option to hide it, because I don't want my Warrior to look as a big muscular guy which reminds people of some guy in the music video of YMCA. But it would be cool if necklaces/rings and earrings would appear on your character.

So, will you take a profession in Guild Wars 2? And will you pay effort in it to progress it? Please share your thoughts and information in this topic!

Video with footage of Crafting (Thanks to Fhaerris)

Last edited by Jovanaar; 2011-10-11 at 08:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I want my Engineer to invent some gadget that will improve my cooking in-game, to make it as good as I do out of game.

In all seriousness, both me and my hubby are choosing Engineers are our mains. So with that, we'll probably fight over who does what Crafting wise. I'm mostly eying up Cooking and Jewelcrafting the most, so my hubby can make the weapons and armor.

Can't go wrong when you're cooking fish with "bling" around your neck. Haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Grugmuc View Post
    I want my Engineer to invent some gadget that will improve my cooking in-game, to make it as good as I do out of game.

In all seriousness, both me and my hubby are choosing Engineers are our mains. So with that, we'll probably fight over who does what Crafting wise. I'm mostly eying up Cooking and Jewelcrafting the most, so my hubby can make the weapons and armor.

Can't go wrong when you're cooking fish with "bling" around your neck. Haha!
    While reading this, I came to senses to add a new part about 'bling' on the front page. Good to see some Engineers about here, I really hope they aren't being neglected in GW2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grugmuc View Post
    Engineers already have that!
    Last edited by Mif; 2011-10-11 at 08:24 AM.

Deleted
    I'll just leave it here

Quote Originally Posted by Fhaerris View Post
    Cheers bro. Added to first post.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Bloodhunter: Yeah, we crawl around, fixing this and that, making your daily lives all the better! Or worse? :P

But seriously, I didn't even know we got that many slots for goodies, that's awesome! So much I don't know about yet! *drools*

@Mif: Bombs, and Grenades, and Turrets, oh my!

Deleted
    I just can't wait until some1 gets like sauper duper epic recipe and will share with others in the eternal glory

I know it's overreacting but it's gonna be nice And I hope community will respond like sharing with others not just keeps it for themselves

It would be cool to have necks and bracelets/rings and etc displayed on the toon. Is it feasible... maybe? I suppose in an around town outfit or something yes, very much so. Perhaps if necklaces display outside of armor... Feasibly jewelry of any kind should be under armor I would think; but this could also depend on armor type, it would kinda make sense for a cloth wearer to be able to display rings and stuff..

As for the crafting itself; I'm liking what I'm seeing. First my favorite part, experience bar. Having it be a bar that goes up (presumably by %amounts depending on how difficult what you crafted was) is great. So that even crafting something lower level, I at least feel that I accomplished something rather than nothing. That was something I never understood; as a chef, even doing something I've done numerous times before, I always either learn something different or refine my technique that little bit more, heck even when you fail, you learn, that is probably when you learn the most; and this never seemed to be translated to my liking in game worlds.

I also like that you keep your knowledge of anything you've learned, you just have to pay a fee to transfer to another craft. For someone like me who really only has 2 toons in most games, this is great for allowing me the opportunity to craft what I want when I feel like it for a fee, I like to feel very self sufficient in my crafting.

I also like the ability to learn recipes using various components. That's just awesomely immersive to me. You found this awesome ore, what does it do? Put it into the proper place in the crafting station, and bam, what d'ya know, it makes this. Mix and match, let's see what we can make.

Edited: because "Iare gud spellar."

Thanks very much - Bookmarked

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedragonwolf View Post
    It would be cool to have necks and bracelets/rings and etc displayed on the toon. Is it feasible... maybe? I suppose in an around town outfit or something yes, very much so. Perhaps if necklaces display outside of armor... Feasibly jewelry of any kind should be under armor I would think; but this could also depend on armor type, it would kinda make sense for a cloth wearer to be able to display rings and stuff..

As for the crafting itself; I'm liking what I'm seeing. First my favorite part, experience bar. Having it be a bar that goes up (presumably by %amounts depending on how difficult what you crafted was) is great. So that even crafting something lower level, I at least feel that I accomplished something rather than nothing. That was something I never understood; as a chef, even doing something I've done numerous times before, I always either learn something different or refine my technique that little bit more, heck even when you fail, you learn, that is probably when you learn the most; and this never seemed to be translated to my liking in game worlds.

I also like that you keep your knowledge of anything you've learned, you just have to pay a fee to transfer to another craft. For someone like me who really only has 2 toons in most games, this is great for allowing me the opportunity to craft what I want when I feel like it for a fee, I like to feel very self sufficient in my crafting.

I also like the ability to learn recipes using various components. That's just awesomely immersive to me. You found this awesome ore, what does it do? Put it into the proper place in the crafting station, and bam, what d'ya know, it makes this. Mix and match, let's see what we can make.

Edited: because "Iare gud spellar."
    Definitely, so far I haven't seen the jewelry being displayed in the game, does anyone know more about it?

I like the crafting system so far. I think that it looks pretty neat. Not sure which trades I will pick up, but I'll probably be a Leatherworker and a Cook so I can have useful stuff for my engineer. =) I'm also glad that every character can gather and they don't have to learn it as a tradeskill. That's really nice.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love crafting, I am so, so, so excited for it in GW2. The way they are doing it is awesome too, with guaranteed skill points per craft. Plan on going armorsmith/ weaponsmith on my main guardian and taking the other 6 professions on alts, or depending on how easy it is to level crafting skills I might just take them all on my main since there is no penalty for switching.

Quote Originally Posted by Raim Surion View Post
    I don't like how crafting is turning out, mainly regarding being able to have all of them leveled. Within a few months you will inevitably have people who max all of them, and not have any incentive to trade for materials/goods with others.
    Nobody knows what the costs are to change your profession, maybe it's quite high and people can't make profit out of constant profession changing.

Quote Originally Posted by Raim Surion View Post
    I don't like how crafting is turning out, mainly regarding being able to have all of them leveled. Within a few months you will inevitably have people who max all of them, and not have any incentive to trade for materials/goods with others.
    They said the cost of switching will be based on the level and patterns you know, likely making it not worth switching between them all unless you have a rare pattern you can't find someone else with and you need it made

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

The last quote in the main post is the most interesting one, at least if we don't get tons of people datamining the hell out of the game. Discovering new recipes is gonna be really cool, and I hope they stealth-patch some in every once in a while.

I really don't care and don't want to trade with others for professions..I always like to be self - efficient...in wow I have lot of alts mostly because of the professions and I know lot of people who may level an alt just to have that extra profession...think of it like , people who want to trade will level 2 professions and then trade with others while people who want to be efficient will level all of professions. hope the cost to switch will not be high
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

15+ Year Old Account
    To quote the OP:

To explain in short; You may take up to 2 professions and there aren't any 2nd professions (to all you WoW'ers) These can be learned and unlearned at any time, however; When you unlearn a profession and reroll that profession later on, you WILL be able to keep all your learned recipes and skill points. Ain't that great?!
    Why not just max all crafting skills on one character? There is literally no reason not to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    Why not just max all crafting skills on one character? There is literally no reason not to.
    I honestly would rather do the other Crafting skills on the other 7 alts I'll have, and trade between them. Not everyone likes doing it all on one character, it makes it sound tedious and expensive. You have to pay to switch, and it might cost 1000g, which in GW2 terms means "f*cking pricey!" And I hope they keep it pricey! There should be consequences for what you do (at least in GW2) like in real life.

Example: Let's say I inherit a small fortune, around $25,000.00. I currently live in an apartment, and drive one car that's old and clunky, but runs. Do I buy a new car? Put a down payment on a house? Or go blow it like a moron on random junk or gambling? Choices like that can be both good and bad. And I like that reflected in MMOs and other video games.

Edit- In GW1 there was only Gold, and you made 1000g into 1 platinum. Sounds easy right? Well, most things cost lots of platinum, and things like lock-picks (1p500g) broke after a couple tries. So you had to invest in them.
    Last edited by Blufossa; 2011-10-11 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Added stuff.

15+ Year Old Account
    If the cost is too high to switch reliably on one character, then I suppose I will pick an appropriate weapon/armor crafting skill for whatever armor type and weapon type my character will have. So tailor/artificer? We will see.