10+ Year Old Account

Want to upgrade graphics, but what do I choose?

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz
    RAM: 6g
    Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 460
    Power Supply: 575w
    Operating System: Windows 7
    Resolution: 1920x1280
    Now a friend told me that 2 great cards on the market right now are the 570 and the 580. My PSU is pretty crap so i'm almost certain i'll need to upgrade that. Not sure about the processor. My question is what do I need to get in terms of power for both the 570 and 580? (for each one individually, not planning on running SLI) And which one would you computer wizards recommend for the new upcoming games (Assasin's creed revelation, SWTOR, GW2)? Depending on whether or not I need to get a new processor price shouldn't be an issue. Thanks in advance

If you got a good PSU like a corsair that 575w will work fine. However if you don't I would suggest getting a corsair AX any of their 3 models will power the 580 just fine.

Your processor is fine. AMD and Intel wont push any new tech that matters until early next year.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139016
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814134125
    For around $550 this looks like a pretty sweet deal to me. Might even just go ahead and buy the 580 seeing as I don't need a new processor. Are there any major sales coming up? I'd like to get these before the 20th of december but there isn't really any need to rush if I can save a bit of cash for other gifts
    Last edited by Snarfysnarf; 2011-10-11 at 09:21 AM.

Deleted
    If you don't plan to overclock your card or don't know how to overlock, I'd suggest you get Point of View 570 Ultra Charged. It has less memory than 580 but if you're using a single monitor with that resolution (1920x1080/1920x1200) it actually wins 580 in FPS.

No need to upgrade your PSU if it's from a known manufacturer.

EDIT: That PSU you're planning on buying is enough to run a SLI setup, your setup with 570 won't need more than 500W.

Deleted
    A 575 Watt PSU is sufficient for any single GPU system. There's no need to upgrade unless you plan to run an SLI system.

As for upgrades, I assume you just want more FPS because the GTX 460 is still a pretty solid card by any standard (if you happen to live in Holland or Belgium, I'd even buy it off you). Upgrading from a GTX 460 the most obvious choice would be the aforementioned GTX 570. It's more than enough for any single-screen setup and good value for money.

However since you're not upgrading out of desperation I might recommend you hold out until the Geforce 600 series arrives. It should launch sometime after Christmas if you can wait that long. AMD's cards might even be out a little sooner.

Edit: YAY...4000's post!