Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1
    Stood in the Fire Snarfysnarf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Password
    Posts
    396

    Will there be a damage meter?

    One of my favorite aspects of any game is trash talking my friends when I out-dps them. It's pretty hard to tell how well you are doing without a damage meter, and is actually a huge deciding point for any mmo I play. I'm wondering if SWTOR will have a damage meter, or allow for add ons whereas I could just download a damage meter?

  2. #2
    Right now there are no support for addons afaik, and does it matter much? YOu can still bash them about standing in rocket fire/blaster fire/whatever else they will throw at us :P

  3. #3
    If I remember correctly, they have said that there wont be any addons at launch. And they haven't said anything about damage meter so I don't think it is in the game.

  4. #4
    At Launch, no addons. As for in-game meter, nothing revealed about that yet. As for recording combat log for WoL style site, again, nothing revealed about that yet.

  5. #5
    Combat log recording is in this game, if that breaks the NDA then sorry. There is no built-in damage meter yet, but I'm sure that addons will be put in post-launch.
    My Cracked articles, writing blog, and Twitter.

    The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

    Want to chat with people who aren't idiots? Join our IRC.

  6. #6
    I hope when they enable addons, they prohibit damage meters. It isn't likely, but I can hope.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
    I hope when they enable addons, they prohibit damage meters. It isn't likely, but I can hope.
    The only people that don't want any way to assess themselves and their groups performance are the ones that are usually the deadweight. There is no downside to damage meters, if 'jerk elitists' can't kick you because of your low dps, now they wont even give you an opportunity, because whats next after damage? thats right, gear.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
    I hope when they enable addons, they prohibit damage meters. It isn't likely, but I can hope.
    Damage meters are simply a tool to help analyze combat encounters, leaving the option out to people is taking away a useful tool.

    If you have been wronged by someone due to them using meters to talk down to you and make your game not enjoyable then it is due to that person being a complete douche and your fault for playing with them.

    This all started with the goddamn dungeon finder shit in WoW where randoms from other servers would verbally berate people who didn't perform at the level they expected them to. Another reason why cross server mixing is a piece of shit idea, I don't care about "queue" times.

    TLDR: Damage meters are not the problem, its douchebag people who use it to berate and put down others that makes people shy away.

    ---------- Post added 2011-10-11 at 09:05 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Combat log recording is in this game, if that breaks the NDA then sorry. There is no built-in damage meter yet, but I'm sure that addons will be put in post-launch.
    Vizzle have you heard anything on a parser developer picking this up? ACT or something similar?

  9. #9
    damage meters simple distract people from the actual game which should be a tactical team - play... a lot of people don't follow tactics sometimes in order to get that last inch in dps - meters hoping that the healer will heal their stupidity... damage meters would be good if people could use them right..

    If you have been wronged by someone due to them using meters to talk down to you and make your game not enjoyable then it is due to that person being a complete douche and your fault for playing with them.
    thats very easy to say if you are play with friends or you have found a good guild, but in truth most of times you have to be with randoms..

    The only people that don't want any way to assess themselves and their groups performance are the ones that are usually the deadweight. There is no downside to damage meters, if 'jerk elitists' can't kick you because of your low dps, now they wont even give you an opportunity, because whats next after damage? thats right, gear.
    of course because damage meters can prove that you are good player..right, if you say so..
    The trick of selling a PvP-MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

  10. #10
    High Overlord Zachyveng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    159
    Personally I want a damage meter, not to criticize anyone else but so that I know when I'm messing something up. Although in all honesty if they have some combat parsing ability (similar to WoL, etc) I'll be happy since that'll allow me to go back and analyze myself and compare to my friends in guild.
    Krael, Sith Council of Untold Prophecy

  11. #11
    Epic! Sighz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,668
    There's nothing wrong with damage meters, there's just a lot of stupid people using them for the wrong reasons.

  12. #12
    If they make a /combatlog file, then ACT can be used to track dps, but outside of that you are stuck waiting for add ons to be put in.
    http://raptr.com/puremallace/about

    What has been made by QQ can be unmade by QQ!!!

  13. #13
    The Patient creedster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    211
    I don't think Bioware should include one, but a 3rd party addon definitely should be made.
    Creedster

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    of course because damage meters can prove that you are good player..right, if you say so..
    If you use them correctly, then yes, they can. The problem with damage meters and other similar addons is people use them in the completely wrong way: they use them as a means of judging people easily and prematurely. People will do this regardless of what tools are or are not available to them: if there are no damage meters, they'll use achievements. If there's no achievements, they'll use gear. If there's no gear, then you're playing a pretty boring game by this point!

    Don't disregard the tool just because tools use it. They are very useful and add a lot of depth to the game if used correctly.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    thats very easy to say if you are play with friends or you have found a good guild, but in truth most of times you have to be with randoms..
    If you have to play with "randoms" and one of the happens to be a douchebag who throws meters in peoples faces, or links them after each pull (god i fucking hate this) simply ignore them, blacklist them or don't play with them.

    There is no x-server dungeon finder bullshit, and people who act like asses in the game should be blacklisted by the community. So if youre playing with shitty, obnoxious, douchebag people more than 1 time, then yes it is your fault.

    ---------- Post added 2011-10-11 at 09:28 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Sighz View Post
    There's nothing wrong with damage meters, there's just a lot of stupid people using them for the wrong reasons.
    Agree completely

  16. #16
    Damage meters exist so that you can easily see when someone is just playing their class flat-out wrong. The rogue who never uses his combo points, the frost DK who spams death/necrotic strike, the ret paladin who never casts TV; I've run into all of these things, and all these are examples of play that is just BAD and can easily be fixed. More than that, all of these are things that you simply CANNOT SEE if you don't have a damage meter addon, because there's no simple visual indications, buffs or debuffs that you can see and determine what they're doing.

    People who hate damage meters are the ones who either don't understand them, and/or who have been criticized for doing something flat-out wrong and refuse to fix a problem that people keep mentioning.

  17. #17
    I don't like damage meters so that automatically means I suck, I don't know how to play my class, and I don't understand damage meters. Got it.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
    I don't like damage meters so that automatically means I suck, I don't know how to play my class, and I don't understand damage meters. Got it.
    Well, look at it from our point of view. We use meters to:

    *see why X died and if he died because of bad RNG or because he's a moron
    *see why we're wiping from enrage timers, who is slacking and what they are doing wrong in their rotation (by looking at % of damage from each spell) that is making their damage shit
    *see which healer is the best to bring for progression

    As a WoW raider, meters have been essential for me to progress in high-end content. And then someone like you comes along who just hates it because "people are childish and use it the wrong way", and thus throwing away all the other things we use it for. It makes you seem like a "noob" (I'm not calling you one, but that's the impression that comes off) because you don't realize the potential of meters. If you're tired of people being childish, then stop grouping with childish people.
    My Cracked articles, writing blog, and Twitter.

    The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

    Want to chat with people who aren't idiots? Join our IRC.

  19. #19
    Pandaren Monk Shamburger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    1,779
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    -snip
    Preach on brother.

    It's usually #2 that incompetent people have an issue with.

  20. #20
    The Patient LunarionSilver's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    212
    You know, there's a solution to this that makes everyone happy, and is the camp I sit firmly in.

    I would rather not have an in-game meter. A lot of the time, they are used incorrectly. A lot of the time, they are also a distraction.

    I know people who have missed a cooldown, a talent or ability proc, a boss ability because they were too busy glancing at their meters to see if they were top damage at that moment in time. While something like Skada is a great utility when used well (see who is interrupting, what ability killed a player, etc) I'd rather not have them sitting in game for people to watch.

    However, I would love the use of a parser, much like World of Logs. Something to be viewed and dissected after the fact, and not something for some people to stare at mid combat. An ability to export and parse the combat log to an external website makes everyone happy.

    This is something I would love. We get all the utility we desire, and people don't have to put up with a meter in game.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •