Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    I would definatly repaint and steamclean the carpet.

Painting you can do yourself. I don't know how big the room is but there aree calculators online. White latex paint is fairly cheap and if you make a good choice it might cover completely after 1 passing or maybe twice. Cheapest paint often means you need to go over it more often though.

Regarding steam cleaning the carpets, you can rent those machines fairly cheap as well. Plus it removes a lot of other stains as well.
    Or you can have this done proffesionally. I don't think it is too expensive.

Both will definetly be attractive to new renters if you can say you just painted and steamcleaned the whole room.
    Last edited by Bolson13; 2012-06-18 at 03:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    hire a professional carpet cleaner and get one of those air wick air freshener dispensers that sprays every ~5minutes. That should at least mostly cover up the smell well they inspect it.

Was gonna come in here thinking i would tell you to just stop smoking but since its a different situation from what i first thought...

Open some windows, ask her to smoke by the window, spray the room and if that fails go with a professional cleaner.

Bake cookies and make coffee in the room after you have done all you can to get the smell out. Won't fix the issue, but it will help.

how did this necro happen

If the floor is carpet I suggest renting a wet vac. If you already own one then great. There is stuff you can buy called Borax. It's absolutely great. You can usually find it in the laundry detergent isle at most stores. Sprinkle some of that on the carpet and let it sit for like 10-20 minutes. Then regular vacuum it up, followed by deep cleaning with a wet vac on the entire floor. Borax is great at taking odors out of most things. My mom once used it in her car after trying all sorts of air freshners to get the small of cat pee out from when my sister took her cat to the vet...cat freaked out and started peeing all over the car and trust me...the smell was horrid. And my mom had tried wet vaccing normal, all sorts of air freshners...it wasn't until she tried borax the smell went away almost instantly. I'd suggest doing it maybe 2 or three times...wait for the carpet to dry before doing again. If it's hardwood floor or tile in the room you can try sprinkling borax, sweeping it up and then mopping the floor, but I am not sure if it will have the same effect.

The smell of smoke is also probably absorbed into the walls. The only real way you MIGHT be able to get rid of it is by cleaning the walls. Or possibly re-painting them. If the walls are white they are probably yellowed out from the smoke, and if you are renting most times you can try and ask your landlord if you can paint and occasionally they'll provide the paint if you talk to them about it. Then just get a glades plug-in and hope for the best. If they are coming to check out the room you may just open up the windows while they are there to make the room look and feel bigger since open windows will generally provide that feel. But until you have something moved in there the room will probably continue to smell that way. Sometimes you just need to put stuff in there and hopefully the room will take on a new scent from someone else being in the room and constantly having their own smells from perfume or whatever in there.

But if you can get the smell out of the carpet (if there is carpet) then it will be a big help. Make sure you use soap in the wet vac too if you decide to rent/buy one. It's cheaper to rent one than to lose out on possible tenants for your other room so keep that in mind.

This is a very old thread. Going to close this.