Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Mostly sourcebooks, IE: Not actual novels but written books, articles and such that go into detail, rather than a story like say... the Darth Bane books, or Shadows of the Empire, or any other series.

Just read the article. I believe it's basically mentioned, and even if it's not in THAT particular article, they have an article about each form and the basic concepts of lightsaber combat.

The Wiki articles are far more convenient in getting information over reading the actual books, if you ask me.

Cant wait to see the effects of the forms in the game, it will be awsome

@Jinna

Read this thread back, bottom of page 2/top of page 3 this was already answered.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rimmer View Post
    @Jinna

Read this thread back, bottom of page 2/top of page 3 this was already answered.
    Ah, thanks, I skipped a bit of this thread as it got somewhat derailed. That answers my questions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RevanSparda View Post
    inquisitors dont have fighting stance, at least not the sorcerers
    Didn't think so eighter : )
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    I was in beta, let me explain a few things.

The combat is very fluid, it makes you feel as if your in a movie. The amped up music helps.

Deflect is parry. Deflecting blots and saber attacks.

The force users get skills that make fights dynamic and very fun.

I was a Sith Assasin, so I know about the combat.

If you love playing a DK, Rogue, Feral Kitty, Warr. You will love the combat.

P.S. I believe all things said are not NDA breaking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some mod please lock this thread. It's turning into a flamefest over the prequels.

No it isn't, it's been brought back. Sure, it came dangerously close to the flamefest, but a mod warned people and generally we're back on topic now. It's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Thriod View Post
    Good Morning all (12:08 am Wednesday in Australia :P)

I was just wondering, will the two Jedi classes and the two Sith classes, have the seven lightsaber combat forms? (If this is NDA Breaking just delete the thread.)
    And if so, will it have like any of the flips and jumping over people, Like in the movies, or is that just to hard to manouver into a game? (typing it now does make it seem far fetched but i believe it would be really cool if it is in their in some way (: )
    Getting this shit back on topic:

There are multiple forms, but not all seven are included. Jedi Knights and Sith Warriors use the Forms (Shien, Shii-Cho, Juyo, and Ataru are confirmed although there is at least one more for the defensive form) as combat stances.

Whether or not they impact combat animations, I am not certain. Certain abilities can only be used in certain forms.

Quote Originally Posted by Torethyr View Post
    Getting this shit back on topic:

There are multiple forms, but not all seven are included. Jedi Knights and Sith Warriors use the Forms (Shien, Shii-Cho, Juyo, and Ataru are confirmed although there is at least one more for the defensive form) as combat stances.

Whether or not they impact combat animations, I am not certain. Certain abilities can only be used in certain forms.
    I'd assume that they don't really impact combat animations since forms in general have differences in mobility (Ataru, Shien and Juyo in particular, due to the aggressive nature of these forms, meaning movement) and that would not play very well in an MMO where animations have to be proper. It would do on a turnbased type of RPG like KOTOR, but in an MMORPG, animations ought to be quick.

I'm going to assume they're stances that fit the concept of the form, so Soresu as a tanking form, Juyo as a DPS form and such, but other than that won't affect animations except for maybe a move or two on a form specific ability (like "requires Juyo form" to give that particular skill a certain animation), but I think even that is stretching it.

Heck, I'm just happy they incorporated the bloody forms into the game with effects, hard to expect more in a technical perspective for this type of MMO. ;/

Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post

k
    ^^This...all that needs to be said.

People often miss out on the point of the duels in the OT vs PT.

In the OT all the lightsaber duels were tied to significant character and plot development. Obi-Wan's sacrifice, Luke learning Vader is his father, Luke's struggle with the Dark Side and trying to redeem his father.

In the PT they are mostly used so they can have the Star Wars title. Qui-Gon vs Darth Maul, and later Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan's fight with Maul, Obi-Wan & Anakin vs Dooku, Yoda vs Dooku. These were all just fights that had no real significance to them. The only duels that was "emotional" was Obi vs Anakin and even that was 5 secs of emotion and 8 minutes of glow stick rave dancing. The RotS game did a better job at portraying their duel because it had constant banter between the two.

The other problem is that in the OT the lightsaber was used sparingly. It was epic when they used it because you didn't get to see it alot. But the PT's parade the lightsabers around like they're the main character, loosing some of the significance when they are used.

I don't hate the prequels, but I do fully realize that as far as story and character's go they aren't up to par as the OT. I enjoy them for what they are: popcorn fare.

As for styles in game:

It would be nice if they had better affects than just +50% dodge or whatever, but this game's combat system is too similar to WoW to really use stances effectively.
    edit: it would be cool if the stances had a rock/paper/scissor flow though. Like if a Sith and Jedi are fighting and you can tell visually which stance your opponent is in then toggle to it's counter stance. In WoW terms: if a warrior was fighting another warrior then Battle>Berserker>Defensive>Battle. To be really win you'd have to switch stances on the fly to try and throw your opponent off-guard. Not gonna happen, but I think it would be cool.

If you really want to see something like that then pick up Jedi Academy off of steam for $9 (iirc) and download one of the lightsaber combat mods. It's the closest thing to the movies that you'll get.

One thing that always bothers me about SW games is lightsabers are never the deadly weapons they're portrayed as in the movies and instead like glowing batons that you use to pummel your foe to death with. I understand why they can't make them so deadly for something like TOR, but I really would like to see an mmo version of the JK series with a more refined and deadly lightsaber system.
    Last edited by Klur; 2011-10-13 at 02:10 AM.

A well choreographed fight/dance/form can convey more than words ever can. That's my take on it at least.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Klur View Post
    As for styles in game:

It would be nice if they had better affects than just +50% dodge or whatever, but this game's combat system is too similar to WoW to really use stances effectively.
    edit: it would be cool if the stances had a rock/paper/scissor flow though. Like if a Sith and Jedi are fighting and you can tell visually which stance your opponent is in then toggle to it's counter stance. In WoW terms: if a warrior was fighting another warrior then Battle>Berserker>Defensive>Battle. To be really win you'd have to switch stances on the fly to try and throw your opponent off-guard. Not gonna happen, but I think it would be cool.
    That would be awesome, I'd totally support that lol. Unfortunately you're right, there's now way they'd go for it lol
    Krael, Sith Council of Untold Prophecy

Quote Originally Posted by Torethyr View Post
    A well choreographed fight/dance/form can convey more than words ever can. That's my take on it at least.
    I fully agree in certain cases. Plus if you are pissed you generally don't talk if you are fighting unless you are like winning and just pounding them, then you kinda do like victory shouts, other than that you would focus on winning. Specially when the other person can slice you up.

Quote Originally Posted by RatFanatic View Post
    ^^^Never been to red letter media.
    I love when he asks people to describe the characters without describing their appearance or professions.

Quote Originally Posted by Klur View Post
    People often miss out on the point of the duels in the OT vs PT.

In the OT all the lightsaber duels were tied to significant character and plot development. Obi-Wan's sacrifice, Luke learning Vader is his father, Luke's struggle with the Dark Side and trying to redeem his father.

In the PT they are mostly used so they can have the Star Wars title. Qui-Gon vs Darth Maul, and later Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan's fight with Maul, Obi-Wan & Anakin vs Dooku, Yoda vs Dooku. These were all just fights that had no real significance to them. The only duels that was "emotional" was Obi vs Anakin and even that was 5 secs of emotion and 8 minutes of glow stick rave dancing. The RotS game did a better job at portraying their duel because it had constant banter between the two.

The other problem is that in the OT the lightsaber was used sparingly. It was epic when they used it because you didn't get to see it alot. But the PT's parade the lightsabers around like they're the main character, loosing some of the significance when they are used.
    Why do fights have to have special meaning behind them? Isn't it enough that they're in a war trying to fight for what they believe is right?

Also, you're really stretching it by saying none of those fights had "meaning" behind them. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan fighting Darth Maul led to Obi-Wan becoming Anakin's mentor. Yoda vs Dooku saved Anakin's life (if I'm thinking about the right fight). The fights weren't just thrown in there for no particular reason; the universe is based around light sabers, why would you make 3 more movies where you don't showcase the power of the masters, and instead just show two old men playing with sticks? (Obi-Wan vs Vader)
    Last edited by vizzle; 2011-10-13 at 06:28 AM.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Cant wait for this game to be released

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    This is a thread about Lightsaber combat, not a thread about how good or bad the prequels are. Stay on topic
    Quoted for truth.

OT: Other people probably know more about the JK/SW stances than I, but I just wanted to mention that it makes sense that JC/SI get stances only when they choose Shadow/Assassin for their AC, as those are the tank/melee dps ACs. Sage/Sorcerer probably won't have stances as they're healer/caster dps ACs.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Yeah lightsaber combat was "EPIC" in the original 3 movies.

Because that scene was in the movie for action.