Thread: [TV] Community

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Because the good shows are only popular with a small group of us mostly internet savvy 20 somethings while the crap shows get good ratings because they appeal to a wider audience. Then again, this is NBC and even their crap "popular" shows get awful ratings.

So help me God if they BBT Community next season and make it a more one camera comedy sitcom with a laugh track I might burn 30 Rock to the ground.
    Well did you hear, they effectively fired the creator of Community.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because the good shows are only popular with a small group of us mostly internet savvy 20 somethings while the crap shows get good ratings because they appeal to a wider audience. Then again, this is NBC and even their crap "popular" shows get awful ratings.

So help me God if they BBT Community next season and make it a more one camera comedy sitcom with a laugh track I might burn 30 Rock to the ground.
    They won't turn it into a single camera sitcom, but there won't be anymore of the high concept episodes like the claymation Xmas one, the paintball ones, and so on. That was all Harmon and it sounds like it was a big reason they booted him. Those kinds of episodes cost more money then NBC wanted to spend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    They won't turn it into a single camera sitcom, but there won't be anymore of the high concept episodes like the claymation Xmas one, the paintball ones, and so on. That was all Harmon and it sounds like it was a big reason they booted him. Those kinds of episodes cost more money then NBC wanted to spend.
    Too bad, those are some of the more memorable episodes....the xmas one was kinda lame imo, but paintball, the gaming episode, pillow/blanket fort, the virtual reality room ect. all pretty creative and unique.

Prob gonna get replaced by some garbage reality show about pregnant teens, dating show that pits young men to win the heart of a 40+ cougar, or "parking lot wars".

How TV gets their viewer ratings has always been a mystery to me.....like how do they know I am watching a show or just flipping thru channels, what about if I watch online but not thru nbc or hulu, or if i record it to watch it later. Oh well, RIP community!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
    Too bad, those are some of the more memorable episodes....the xmas one was kinda lame imo, but paintball, the gaming episode, pillow/blanket fort, the virtual reality room ect. all pretty creative and unique.

Prob gonna get replaced by some garbage reality show about pregnant teens, dating show that pits young men to win the heart of a 40+ cougar, or "parking lot wars".

How TV gets their viewer ratings has always been a mystery to me.....like how do they know I am watching a show or just flipping thru channels, what about if I watch online but not thru nbc or hulu, or if i record it to watch it later. Oh well, RIP community!

The way they get ratings is by using a system that was made back in the 50's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neilson_ratings

Basically, they send out a bunch of devices that are attached to peoples TV sets and sends the info on what they watch. It is then broken down by demographic and averaged. They have been gathering data on things like Tivo, but networks still do not use that when calculation ad rates because the advertisers don't like those kinds of "time-shifted" viewing. A big problem with this is shows like Community are very popular with views who use those kinds of systems to watch tv.

David Guarascio and Moses Port will be replacing Dan Harmon. The only thing they've produced that I'm really familiar with is Just Shoot Me, and I never cared for that show, but then again Dan Harmons only show I like is Community.

The 4th season was also only signed for 13 episodes. What I read said that all or most of the NBC comedies will have shorter seasons so they can save money and pick up new comedies. Not too sure what to think just yet...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Basically, they send out a bunch of devices that are attached to peoples TV sets and sends the info on what they watch. It is then broken down by demographic and averaged. They have been gathering data on things like Tivo, but networks still do not use that when calculation ad rates because the advertisers don't like those kinds of "time-shifted" viewing. A big problem with this is shows like Community are very popular with views who use those kinds of systems to watch tv.
    Ya I feel pretty bad about the negative impact I have on the tv shows I love. I think Game of Thrones is literally the only television show I absolutely 100% will not miss during its first airing. Used to be the exact same way about Lost, but those are really the only two shows I was like that with. Literally everything else is DVR'd and watched the next couple days or on the weekend because I am usually watching hockey or basketball live every night.

---------- Post added 2012-05-23 at 11:01 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    David Guarascio and Moses Port will be replacing Dan Harmon. The only thing they've produced that I'm really familiar with is Just Shoot Me, and I never cared for that show, but then again Dan Harmons only show I like is Community.

The 4th season was also only signed for 13 episodes. What I read said that all or most of the NBC comedies will have shorter seasons so they can save money and pick up new comedies. Not too sure what to think just yet...
    Knowing NBC, those 13 episodes will be burned through in 6 weeks, they will introduce 5 new shows spaced throughout the season, burn through their pilot and subsequent 2-3 episodes then cancel them because they are horrible. Meanwhile they will shift around the time that 30 rock and Parks and rec play every week so no one ever knows what is going on. Then they will constantly rotate Whitney and Community on Friday night trying to trick people into tuning into Whitney long enough claim ratings for that train wreck of a show.

Then they will cancel Community and give that new Dane Cook comedy six seasons and a movie.

I love the TV show Community! The first two seasons were hilarious, but I think the writer’s running out of ideas, so it’s getting a little boring. Ah well the show’s still awesome cause Troy and Abed are in it!

Who’s your favourite character in the show? Mine’s Mr Chang, he’s such an asshole but he’s still desperate to make friends haha. The dean creeps me out a little though, not a fan of his extravagant costumes....

15+ Year Old Account
    Knowing NBC, those 13 episodes will be burned through in 6 weeks, they will introduce 5 new shows spaced throughout the season, burn through their pilot and subsequent 2-3 episodes then cancel them because they are horrible. Meanwhile they will shift around the time that 30 rock and Parks and rec play every week so no one ever knows what is going on. Then they will constantly rotate Whitney and Community on Friday night trying to trick people into tuning into Whitney long enough claim ratings for that train wreck of a show.

Then they will cancel Community and give that new Dane Cook comedy six seasons and a movie.
    Pretty much why most network television is dead. I'm just not sure who they're appealing to anymore. Support good cable channels like AMC, FX, Showtime etc and forget all these channels that waste your braincells with mindless reality programs and bad comedies that no one will remember 3 months after they air.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just started watching Community today. Thirteen episode marathon to start. I gave it a shot because I had seen the Cracked article comparing the characters to the characters in Scrubs. Boy, were they terribly wrong. Most of the ones they listed aren't even close.

It's a good show though. I like pretty much every character, except Chevy Chase. Really, he could disappear and nothing would change. Abed and Troy make the show though. The ending scenes are awesome, and Abed's weirdness mixed with a Anthony DiNozzo style TV/movie reference expertise is unlimited entertainment. It's also produced by Neil Goldman and Garrett Donovan, who actually did work on Scrubs, so there is that comparison.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    The ending scenes are awesome, and Abed's weirdness mixed with a Anthony DiNozzo style TV/movie reference expertise is unlimited entertainment.
    Wait until you get to Critical Film Studies in season 2. That is the best movie homage ever. The show only gets better and better as it goes along.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait until you get to Critical Film Studies in season 2. That is the best movie homage ever. The show only gets better and better as it goes along.
    Well, I just watched the D&D episode in season 2. From that episode, and pretty much every other one, I hate Pierce. It's not even funny anymore. He's just a cruel, old man who has a genetically altered brain to make him stupid crazy. And, yeah, that can be funny, but not in the way he does it. Or not in the way the writers write it. When Dr. Cox on Scrubs makes Elliot cry, it's funny, because of the way it's done. And you know that, at least, Cox has a sense of decency. Outside of having Troy live with him, everything Pierce does is there to cause disharmony, and destroy every sense of friendship from everyone.

Inspector Space Time, the Blorgons are coming!

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, I just watched the D&D episode in season 2. From that episode, and pretty much every other one, I hate Pierce. It's not even funny anymore. He's just a cruel, old man who has a genetically altered brain to make him stupid crazy. And, yeah, that can be funny, but not in the way he does it. Or not in the way the writers write it. When Dr. Cox on Scrubs makes Elliot cry, it's funny, because of the way it's done. And you know that, at least, Cox has a sense of decency. Outside of having Troy live with him, everything Pierce does is there to cause disharmony, and destroy every sense of friendship from everyone.
    He's basically written to be that for a while. He gets better in season 3 but I think a lot of the tension between Dan Harmon and Chevy Chase really comes out in how Pierce is written
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, sorry, didn't like the episode. First off, I am unfamiliar with Pulp Fiction. I know a little based on Cracked articles (you know, where I get all my news and pop culture info), but not enough to know if the episode was doing some pseudo-meta meta meta thing with the movie. Secondly, this is the first episode that I can think of where I really saw Abed in a negative light. Maybe the one where he makes the Bible movie, but at least there, he doesn't get one of his friends fired from her job. I know he didn't know about the party, but Jeff was trying to get him out of there. He's funny because of all his references, and how he kind of fourth walls the show with all his TV knowledge, basically spelling out the plot at times. And the fact he's very quick-witted. I would love to be like that, but not if it meant getting friends fired from their jobs. At least Pierce didn't ruin the episode by, I don't know, pretending it was his birthday or something, just for the attention. Because it's something he'd do. the previous episode about him faking his dying (not death, dying) made me hate him more, and makes me wonder why Jeff didn't just outright kill him. Other than the fact it's a comedy I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Going back and watching the show, waiting for season 4 to premier. As much as I like Abed, and that he's the Chandler of this show (Chandler being the character in Friends, which without him would be a terrible show), he's also quite the Mary Sue. Whenever the show needs a resolution, he knows it. Whether it be an overused sitcom story or the layout of a KFC space simulator. He knows it all. It's a little annoying, but like I said, the show wouldn't be nearly as funny without him.

Because the good shows are only popular with a small group of us mostly internet savvy 20 somethings while the crap shows get good ratings because they appeal to a wider audience.
    Nielsen ratings are horribly outdated. Maybe tv execs will realize that someday, not holding my breath.
    I don't hate you. I'm just not necessarily excited about your existence.

15+ Year Old Account
    Going back and watching the show, waiting for season 4 to premier. As much as I like Abed, and that he's the Chandler of this show (Chandler being the character in Friends, which without him would be a terrible show), he's also quite the Mary Sue. Whenever the show needs a resolution, he knows it. Whether it be an overused sitcom story or the layout of a KFC space simulator. He knows it all. It's a little annoying, but like I said, the show wouldn't be nearly as funny without him.
    When does season 4 start? I thought it would be out by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    Think I heard not til Feb, might be Jan, but ya..not til next year do we get to see if it's bad without Dan

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    Looks like February 7th

It's odd, so many shows I watch have delayed premier dates this year. Is Community even going for a full season, or just half?