A question on bans

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I was unable to find a recent and relevant thread, so I decided I'd ask...

How often are IP Address bans given out (assuming this is even a possibility)? The reason I ask is this: There is one particular user that is here with the sole purpose of flaming and trolling, and even though they have been banned on several different accounts (at least I'm assuming they are the same person due to similar posting patterns and thread/post content), they are simply able to create a new account and continue the harassment of MMO-C.

I apologize if this is a question that should be asked in a PM to an admin. If that is the case, please do not hesitate to lock the thread.

IP Bans are pretty much pointless to give out sense it can easily be changed it takes less the 5 min to do or use any free proxy site like hidemyass for example to connect to a page from a different IP
    Last edited by RaZz0r; 2011-10-11 at 06:31 PM.

I'd guess that fewer than 25% of people who visit this site know how to change their IP Address... That being said, you are right, they are easy to change, so how about MAC bans?

10+ Year Old Account
    id imagine IP bans are only given in the event that you are harassing the community excessively

but it would have to be pretty difficult to control to warrant it i think, as above stated, only minorly hinders the operation.

10+ Year Old Account
    A Mac address ban would be nearly pointless as that is an easier fix than simply masking your IP.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

IP ban would do nothing in this case as others have mentioned. Also, considering the ease of creating a new account, I hardly think they would bother.

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    I'd guess that fewer than 25% of people who visit this site know how to change their IP Address... That being said, you are right, they are easy to change, so how about MAC bans?
    I would quite honestly put that percentage at an even lower number. Like 10% or so... Changing your I.P. is much harder than most average PC users are capable of doing given the average knowledge base. Plus, most DHCP services with large ISP's will save your I.P as long as you are a customer. Sub netting makes it possible for everyone to hold there own indefinitely. Not to mention with the introduction of IPv6, sub netting won't be needed at all once it is stream lined.

OT, It is very likely that I.P. bans are placed, as previously mentioned however, proxy sites allow you to browse and post on a forum from anywhere. And, in the off chance you actually do have a dynamic I.P., (meaning the address can range to be any value within the sub net) a range ban would have to be placed. This would knock others out as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneirophobia View Post
    Besides, they have updated models, updated abilities, and are in completely different locations. Really the only thing psyically the same is their names, so if you don't care for plotlines whats it matter who the dragons are? They're just meaningless loot bags to you.
    Shaman Armory
    Mage Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    IP bans are useless. Most biggest internet providers use DHCP public ip pool and all you need to change your IP is relog your internet connection.

Not mentioning huge amount of proxy servers, you can use TOR, simple technology that will make EVERY your connection to mmo-champion to come from unique different IP.

And I strongly disagree with 90% of moderators actions. Every time i see "Infraction" edited post I think "But why was this guy infracted? He was absolutely right!"

ive seen an ip ban
    though it was quite clear the troll was too young and inexperienced to figure out how to get around it

Deleted
    As far as I know, we do not do IP bans.

even if most users dont know how to change there IP they can just look for a guide how to change it.
    With a simple google search like How to change you IP / MAC address.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiana View Post
    IP bans are useless. Most biggest internet providers use DHCP public ip pool and all you need to change your IP is relog your internet connection.

Not mentioning huge amount of proxy servers, you can use TOR, simple technology that will make EVERY your connection to mmo-champion to come from unique different IP.

And I strongly disagree with 90% of moderators actions. Every time i see "Infraction" edited post I think "But why was this guy infracted? He was absolutely right!"
    Pretty much this. I can reset my IP in like 30ish seconds. It's not hard really and trying to IPban someone is just ineffective, especially when people can make new accounts.

15+ Year Old Account
    We have our ways of identifying people on alternate accounts and dealing with them.

Any concerns about particular users may be sent via PM to me.