Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

The hardest to execute DPS spec in Cataclysm PvE raid content

I was reading the thread on the most nerfed class and saw a few posters who were confused about what a nerf was versus what a hard to play class was, it gave me the idea for this thread.

This is regarding PvE only, strict PvP players should probably be staying away from the Raids & Dungeons forum anyway.

I can't post a poll with 22 potential specs to choose from so instead of posting a poll I'd like to see people answering in a format similar to the following, since the only way to be fair about what is the hardest spec is by only considering specs that you have personally played in current content.

I'm looking for the hardest to play at its absolute maximum potential through cooldown usage, proc management, etc. I am not looking for the hardest spec to play because they have a slightly harder 'rotation'. We are also assuming that you use all available tools that you can in order to maximize your potential, including but not limited to the following: Simcraft, Rawr, Parses, Addons, etc.

For my aid in collecting the data, please cast your vote in a format similar to the following:

My vote for the hardest to execute DPS spec in patch 4.2 PvE raid content is:
    Demonology Warlock

I have experience DPSing patch 4.2 PvE raid content with:
    Demonology Warlock
    Affliction Warlock
    Destruction Warlock
    Elemental Shaman
    Shadow Priest.

--

I know I only have experience with 5 dps specs of the 22, but I'm looking forward to seeing people who have experience with 10-20 or maybe all 22 DPS specs.
    Last edited by Aethilus; 2011-10-12 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Addition and Clarification

Destruction is harder to manage than either of the other lock specs. Feral druid still ranks up there, along with enhance shaman especially with caster weapons.

Sig made by Shyama. Click sig for current Warlock armory.

Kitty Druid -out of the classes I've raided with, obviously.

Feral Druid
    Elemental Shaman
    Shadow Priest
    Enhancement Shaman
    Arcane Mage
    Fire Mage
    Balance Druid
    Marksman Hunter
    Survival Hunter
    Frost Deathknight.

I have 7 level 85's, Rogue and Warrior are the only 2 I've never raided with. Recruit-A-Friend boxed my rogue to level 60 and basically left him there to rot after trying to level to 61. By far the most boring class I've ever tried to play. Warriors, while seemingly fun, are just not worth my time to level. Maybe when I get bored next xpac.
    Last edited by QwertySham; 2011-10-11 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Took out warlock, only lvl 80 raid xp. No 4.2 xp.

Sub rogue, and yes they are viable for some fights, and will do lots of dps if you do it right.

Sub rogue by leaps and bounds.

Subtlety Rogue

Subtlety Rogue
    Assassination Rogue
    Combat Rogue
    Retribution Paladin
    Fury Warrior
    Demonology Warlock
    Affliction Warlock
    Destruction Warlock
    Marksmanship Hunter
    Survival Hunter
    Frost Death Knight
    Unholy Death Knight

Demonology is not very difficult outside of its opener, which can be mostly macro'd successfully.

"Fell deeds awake! Now for wrath; now for ruin, and the red dawn!"

Demo isn't that hard once you're used to it.
    Priorities, demon summoning and dot management is only hard until you know what you're doing.

Yeah, sub rogue by a large amount. Makes feral look easy.

Sub
    Destro
    Demo

In that order.

Deleted
    Yep i agree Sub rogues

Deleted
    i would go with: sub rogue

I honestly have no idea why yall feel demo for locks is so difficult. Its been my main spec for FL and I was destro for the previous 2 tiers. By FAR desro is harder. ISF is a pain in the ass to keep up and anyone who has really raided with that spec knows what I'm talking about. As for other classes I'm not going to get into that poo-slinging fight but as far as locks destro>demo in terms of difficulty to execute.

Quote Originally Posted by Cptmyname View Post
    Priorities, demon summoning and dot management is only hard until you know what you're doing.
    Anything that is hard is hard until you know what you're doing. So that logic isn't as foolproof as everyone thinks. ^_^'

--------------------

My personal vote is Sub rogues and then Demo Locks.

I'm surprised and shocked that the first 3 people didn't have sub on their list. It's kind of a no-brainer, that's how hard sub is. This thread shouldn't even exist.

I've done:

Fury Warrior
    Arms Warrior
    Demo Lock
    Destro Lock
    Aff Lock
    Arcane Mage
    Fire Mage
    Ret Paladin
    Frost DK

I think Destro is hardest of the ones I played. Demo is far, far easier, just IMO.

I think Shadow priest is among the most complicated, but there are numerous addons that simplify it so I'm sure it's "the hardest". Affliction is similar but I've not played lock.

Most dots/timers/abilities to track.
    Addons make it easier but it is still more complicated than the others, affliction is similar.

People complain feral is hard but really only 2 dots and one debuff while you spam a filler and alternate 2 finishers, I find it pretty simple.

Also if you filter out Alysrazor in log sites, Shadow has the largest standard deviation or variance... this suggests to me a greater amount of difficulty, easier specs should tend to have smaller variation within the top results. (ie: Survival hunters).

Arcane Mage! Good lord it's hard to find those two buttons on my keyboard sometimes.

I have experience with:
    Arcane Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Cptmyname View Post
    I don't find it extremely hard myself, I just find it harder than the other 4 specs I have experience with. I'm one of the few Warlocks out there that love the pet swapping mechanics for both the lore of using them as tools rather than friends (like hunters), and for the fun. I played Destruction as well and there are people saying that it is harder, I found through power auras usage that ISF was not 'hard' to do just tedious and clunky.

Secretly buried in this thread is the question as to where I can find the most fun DPSing, when I find the most fun from the most challenging.
    Last edited by Aethilus; 2011-10-11 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by arden714 View Post
    Arcane Mage! Good lord it's hard to find those two buttons on my keyboard sometimes.

I have experience with:
    Arcane Mage
    I feel you man.. Sometimes I miss the one key with my finger and I lose .2secs of cast time.
    No beta Club