Atonement healing on H Majordomo?

Soon we're going to attempt H Majordomo and I was wondering how the mechanics of Atonement healing would work with a full concentration bar.

For example: if I normally hit for 10k with a smite (arbitrary value), would the damage buff increase it to 20k, then the healing buff would further increase the healing done by 100% for roughly 40k healing per cast?

Or does Atonement not calculate the buffed damage amount into the equation, and instead uses the base 10k for damage in the conversion process, then doubles it for 20k healing?

Basically, would I do 20k damage per cast and 40k healing per cast, Or 20k damage per cast and 20k healing per cast?

Since most of this fight is set in kitty phase... I don't see an Atonement healer being very effective, since kitty jumps hit ranged targets, which are MUCH further out than the current 15 yards.... To answer your question though, I think it'll only be 20k damage and 20k healing.

it double dips

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    It does so much more then 20k 20k. Last attempts we had it was healing for upwards of 100k per cast easily topping the tank up to full for 1800ish mana

10+ Year Old Account
    Atonement healing is amazing on that fight. You can choose to 2 man heal it, and when you have Scorpion phase, you and 2 dps (if 10 man) stand outside and nuke. Unless you push the Scorpion phase to ridiculous levels, you will barely even need 2 healers on that fight after the nerf.

Just make sure everybody remember to watch their debuff when you are gathering for a second Scorpion phase, and dont die during orb phase (if you get one with 2 healers?) and the boss should melt away. It's one of the easier heroics out there.
    Last edited by Celar; 2011-10-11 at 10:48 PM.

I think I'm mostly tank healing for the fight, and as long as everyone does a good amount of movement around 70-80 energy, most people shouldn't get harmed. I know the range is kinda small right now but I'm also asking about this because in 4.3 the atonement healing range is currently 100 yards from the target's hitbox borders, in which I should be hitting every raid member that requires healing.

I've done some research and read that Atonement healing is fairly popular for H Majordomo, but always got mixed results on whether the healing was roughly quadrupled from the base. Just looking for some clarification or first-hand experiences with this tactic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Atonement works quite well. IF your target gets hit by Leaping Flames, your atonement will heal them once, possibly twice, and they'll be nearly topped off. I atonement heal H Majordomo every week.

Awesome, thanks for the speedy replies, really appreciate it

smitehealing will top the meters for this fight, but it doesn't do the most important thing for success on this encounter (so I consider it gimmicky)

If you're doing a 0-swipe strategy (which you should be) you'll spend 100% of the time on this fight in catphase (ironically best time for atonement). Trouble is that fast spot heals on ranged are way more important on this fight than high throughput on the tank. OK, you get the top parse by using atonement but that means you're tunneling the tank whole time
    Last edited by zakaluka; 2011-10-11 at 09:18 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrlae View Post
    it double dips
    ^ what Myrlae said.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandwrong View Post
    Since most of this fight is set in kitty phase... I don't see an Atonement healer being very effective, since kitty jumps hit ranged targets, which are MUCH further out than the current 15 yards.... To answer your question though, I think it'll only be 20k damage and 20k healing.
    Thats pretty much fail.

Atonement is absolutely insane for this fight. Placing the healers right on the jump and do 1 atonement with 100% con up you heal the leap dmg fully out and place a nice DA on the target if you crit for around 100k. And no other tank healing needed besides atonement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Double dips. Atonement does respectable healing while you're helping a bit with damage (every little bit helps).

Other than throwing the occasional bubble to people who take dmg from leaps, I smite most of the fight (orb phase excluded).

This fight is definitely one of my favorites (not like we have many to choose from, though lol)

Quote Originally Posted by zakaluka View Post
    OK, you get the top parse by using atonement but that means you're tunneling the tank whole time
    Someone needs to heal the tank

And throwing shield + penance out between smites isn't that hard. Especially when smite reduces your cd.

The one thing I've trouble with at this fight is to conserve my buff. The moment Majo looks at me I run, but I'm not completely out of the flaming zone when he lands a second later. And I have not that much leeway when it comes to increasing the distance between his tanking position and my spot, because I've to cover half of the raid with heals.

depending on strat, atonement healing is very good for this fight. A strat without any scorp swipes makes it even better because you obviously get a longer buff up time. My guild usually 3 heals it with at least one atonement priest and 2 if they are both on. I think our other healer was a h pally. If you want to see how we did it you can find our kill vid on youtube if you search weer vs Majordomo or something.

Deleted
    Solohealing as a priest, i can only say one thing. Atonement is needed on that fight. Its amazing healing for the low costs of it, plus you can pick and choose when u want your 15% added healing buff.

I simpy have my Smite, Holy Fire and Shadow Word: Pain with Focus target macroed into the spells, that way you can easily use atonement without even having to target the boss.

Would you happen to have a log of this?

Deleted
    Not sure if reading this right http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/e...?s=3806&e=4259

Shows 26k smite but only 7k atone? What am I reading wrong : (

Deleted
    Hiya,

Inspired by this thread I tried out Atonement healing on HC Domo last night. Here is the log:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=8875&e=9361

... Atonement was 55.6% of my healing, Divine Aegis ~19% ... I pretty much just spammed holy fire and smite the entire fight. Note: I was standing outside for the entire 1st Scorpion phase (took to 15 adrenaline). I was hit during 1st Cat phase, lost concentration but kept spamming. I was inside for the 2nd Scorpion phase (until everyone's "explosion debuff" dropped off). I was hit during 2nd Cat phase, lost concentration but kept spamming. I was outside for the 3rd Scorpion phase and then he died at very beginning of 3rd Cat Phase (although our noob shadow priest managed to die lol... )

Huhh... anyways, I'm not particularly good but there's the log for you. In my mind it worked out very well, and it was also freaking fun to spam smite/hf.

xo
    Last edited by mmoc162ec51c63; 2011-10-13 at 10:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-2q...?s=4662&e=5068

25M - we don't eat slashes so our numbers aren't as gigantic as the 10Ms who do. Atonement is my #1 heal until orb phase which is where I go bubble/penance crazy. (I also forgot to put my smite glyph back in cause I'm bad)