10+ Year Old Account

Addons and Latency

I guess this is the right section to post this in, but if not my bad

About 2-3 days ago I noticed my latency constantly stayed in 900+ms and me being the computer tard I am I just blamed my ISP... But I was in a LFD pug and was talking about and someone told me to disable Recount.. so I did and behold my latency is down to 200ms now (except in SW it goes up to 600).

So what causes addons that are up to date to just randomly start causing problems like a out of control teen on Maury? Im aggravated mostly at myself cause I didn't think to check my addons to see if that was causing the problem..

Since recount operates on combat log parsing, which WoW receives anyway so I highly doubt that recount can cause latency directly, (maybe syncing feature does but not sure if it is available in recount). You can try Skada @ Curse for lightweight dmg meter. If you have windows 7 you can try LeatrixLatencyFix @ WoWUI, which greatly improve latency in that system. (It is safe and virus free I can guarantee).

Quote Originally Posted by Lich King
    "You speak of justice? Of cowardice? I will show you the justice of the grave... and the true meaning of fear."

Quote Originally Posted by Mordret View Post
    Since recount operates on combat log parsing, which WoW receives anyway so I highly doubt that recount can cause latency directly, (maybe syncing feature does but not sure if it is available in recount).
    Recount is capable of causing what appears to be latency, just like any other CPU intensive addon. In fact combat log parsing is one of the most CPU-intensive things an addon can do.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, but CPU usage shouldn't be impacting actual network latency. Nothing addons do should be able to impact network latency, since all of the information is already being received by the WoW client software whether addons are installed or not. I can understand it causing CPU or GPU delays - lowered frame rates, limited responsiveness to inputs, etc - but not network latency.

Mordret did mention the one possibility that increases the bandwidth used by WoW - an addon syncing feature, which Recount does have. This system attempts to make sure that every Recount user in the party/raid has the same information, so that the damage meters are all identical in the party/raid. It does this by using addon communications channels provided by Blizzard - and is the one way for an addon to create extra network usage, which may impact network latency.

Deleted
    O.o you are playing with 200ms?! and is ok with it?!?! Damn, playing with 90ms for me is barely playable. In SW I get 50 max...