Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Soulbound on pickup?

http://www.wowhead.com/item=67146/wo...icer-handwraps dropped in a Zul'Gurub and I needed as a healer and then I noticed in the bag without wearing them that they were already soulbound??? IS that normal behavior of the need system in automatic 5mans?

If you need on a BoE it becomes soul bound

Quote Originally Posted by FemaleGoblinMage View Post
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=67146/wo...icer-handwraps dropped in a Zul'Gurub and I needed as a healer and then I noticed in the bag without wearing them that they were already soulbound??? IS that normal behavior of the need system in automatic 5mans?
    It became normal in 4.2.
    Thanks Soko<3

Prevent people from needing on things they don't need other than to sell for profit.

and it was one of the better ideas they have had.

Yeah, definitely a good feature.

I always get a warning telling me they're going to be bound to me - you didn't receive that?

Quote Originally Posted by FemaleGoblinMage View Post
    I can tell you everything there is to know about this system. I'm the one who introduced the idea to Blizzard to begin with. (Seriously, I'm not joking).

The idea was brought about after I came across a few threads on the Battle.net/WoW forums which described situations where people would "need" on a BoE epic drop simply to sell it, thereby taking it away from the people who also needed it to actually use it. There was one issue in particular about the epic BoE tanking plate, where the tank in a random 5 man rolled "need" to use it, and a plate-proficient dps rolled "need" with the intent on selling it, won it, and then left the group.

There was a second issue, which involved the "required proficiency-to-need system", which basically only allowed people who were proficient in a certain armor skill to roll need on an item, while less-proficient armor classes could only greed on that item. The issue: People would take advantage of this system by needing on items that others could not need because of their proficiency, which allowed plate-wearers access to need roll on every piece of epic BoE armor possible, and then sell it off, while everyone else had limits to what they could roll "need" on.

Due to so many complaints, I chose to introduce to Blizzard, a system which automatically bound BoE items to a character upon rolling "need."

The idea was that if you needed an item, you needed it to use it. If you wanted an item for profit, you didn't need it, you rolled greed. This system basically solved the entire issue by

1) making it so if a person actually needed the item, they got dibs, and could wear it without somebody else taking it to sell it.

2) If a person didn't need it, it allowed EVERYONE the same fair opportunity to roll to sell it. Nobody had advantages.

Plain and simple: If you need it, it's yours, but you aren't going to go auction it off behind everyone's backs. Rolling need ensures you will get it (provided others don't also need it to use), but you won't be able to sell it for anything more than vendor price. It forces you to greed if you want to sell, and greed is an option everyone in the party gets, regardless.

Also, the system warns you that the item will become soulbound upon needing it.

In patch 4.3, there will be a follow-up to this system system, which combats people needing on an item for off-spec and taking it from a main spec. In this new system, when a person enters a dungeon, it determines their role (tank/dps/heals) and offers them a bonus 100 to their need rolls if the item matches their primary spec versus someone's off-spec. If a tank item drops, and a dps rolls need on it as well as the tank, the tank in that group is guaranteed the loot.

Keep in mind, though, this system determines your role in a dungeon, not your main spec vs off spec. If you enter a dungeon as a dps, even if your primary spec is tanking, and a tank item drops, the tank in that particular group will have the bonus applied to their role, not you. This bonus only takes effect if the person rolls "need."

Original NEED/GREED thread: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1568015747#19 The devs did not introduce this system based on the thread itself, the idea was introduced directly to several of my colleagues, who are Blizzard employees. Blizzard took a look at the thread based on the mention of the idea, discussed it in their meetings, and finally introduced the system in-game during patch 4.2.

The system to be introduced in 4.3: http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/...ge=23#comments

edit (so nobody feels bad): I am one of the few who suggested this type of system, and I had the privilege to aid in its design and introduction into the game. There.
    Last edited by Felaful; 2011-10-12 at 07:32 AM.

Felaful - does the new system, in 4.3, function in 5 man heroic groups formed via LFG ? Or is it for Looking for Raid groups only?

Quote Originally Posted by Peyj View Post
    Felaful - does the new system, in 4.3, function in 5 man heroic groups formed via LFG ? Or is it for Looking for Raid groups only?
    From what has been discussed so far, it appears that the system will be implemented in both the random 5 man heroic groups AND the random raid groups. There should actually be info regarding the function of the system in raid groups in the link I provided in my previous post on the system.

Deleted
    Umm, hasn't there been numerous threads requesting the feature you claim you came up with?

*cough*
    Sounds to me like the OP had plans of doing exactly what this system now prevents
    *cough*

ALL POWER TO THE SYSTEM !

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Felaful View Post
    I can tell you everything there is to know about this system. I'm the one who introduced the idea to Blizzard to begin with. (Seriously, I'm not joking).
    You are one delusional little guy, aren't you :-P

Quote Originally Posted by furriusmurrius View Post
    You are one delusional little guy, aren't you :-P
    Why would you say that? I'm not joking. If you feel that I am, and that Blizzard just magically popped it out, by all means. Look at the forums. I may not have been the first to say it, and I'm not saying it was all me me me, but yes, it helps having people on the inside at Blizzard.

Thanks much Blizz reps Zarthios and Arres.

---------- Post added 2011-10-12 at 01:48 AM ----------

I didn't solely come up with the system, it was collective, I simply had the direct contacts to reps. You're welcome to look at the forums, mainly it was a bunch of complaining. I actually got quite a few dislikes for bringing up the supposed "re-hashed" idea, because they didn't like the way the system would've worked.

---------- Post added 2011-10-12 at 01:50 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gawwad View Post
    Umm, hasn't there been numerous threads requesting the feature you claim you came up with?
    Also want to point out that my thread was not deleted off the site (for being a repeat of an old thread), and people there claimed there were very few forums even discussing a resolution to the "need-ninjas."

There IS a link there.
    Last edited by Felaful; 2011-10-12 at 06:50 AM.

Yes, it is a normal anti-ninjaing feature.
    How did you click "It will become soulbound" box prompt without noticing? :P

working as intended

Lol at the guy claiming credit
    and I'm not saying it was all me me me,
    Then why are you saying it at all?

15+ Year Old Account
    looks to me like "me me me" is exactly what you are saying lol

Quote Originally Posted by Weerra View Post
    Lol at the guy claiming credit Then why are you saying it at all?
    I simply stated that I could tell you everything about it because I was involved with it's design.

As far as the forums go, I see several suggestions on adding an off-spec need button, deleting the roll system altogether, etc, but nothing else on making a needed BoE soulbound.

By all means, it's your choice whether you believe what I say or not. It doesn't bother me if you don't, but it's nice to have direct connections with people. I could suggest a few other "ideas" that implemented changes in game, but I'd just get troll attempts at those too.

Just appreciate the changes and the new systems, that's all I can say. That was the goal of the system after all, wasn't it?; to stop greedy need-ninjas.

I simply stated that I could tell you everything about it because I was involved with it's design.

As far as the forums go, I see several suggestions on adding an off-spec need button, deleting the roll system altogether, etc, but nothing else on making a needed BoE soulbound.

By all means, it's your choice whether you believe what I say or not. It doesn't bother me if you don't, but it's nice to have direct connections with people. I could suggest a few other "ideas" that implemented changes in game, but I'd just get troll attempts at those too.

Just appreciate the changes and the new systems, that's all I can say. That was the goal of the system after all, wasn't it?; to stop greedy need-ninjas.
    You are the worst kind of human being and not only do I not believe you, I immediately dislike everyone with your mentality and delusional attitude they have toward their contributions to the game as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by furriusmurrius View Post
    You are the worst kind of human being and not only do I not believe you, I immediately dislike everyone with your mentality and delusional attitude they have toward their contributions to the game as a whole.
    You don't have to believe me. I stated that. I assure you I'm not telling you anything false, and it's Blizzard's credit 100%, whether you or I came up with the idea. It was just nice working behind the scenes to improve what could have been a real "cataclysm" of an expansion.

If I'm a bad human being for stating that I was involved with this, by all means, I deserve it, but I assure you, I'm most certainly not delusional.