Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Do you use a mouse/kb for FPS games on 360/PS3?

I have been trying to figure out how rarely someone online will have accuracy that is totally beyond me. On PC I would expect Aimbot but kind of hard to think that is whats up on PS3. Kill cam doesn't show anything outside of what I would expect from a keyboard/mouse user but I doubt some of these people could it off with a controller.

I figured it was rare for people to use a device so they could play with mouse and keyboard but I am starting to wonder now. It seemed like cheating to me but if this is something that is more common then I think I may look into it.

15+ Year Old Account
    i take it you have never seen a halo or cod tourney where the players use xbox or ps3. I myself suck at console fps games but I have come to realize that if u spend enough time playing console fps you really do just become that good at using a controller...go look up some tournaments on youtube and you'll see what i mean, they arent cheating, they just have alot of practice and they are used to high sensitivity in order to get their crosshair to ur face faster.

Nah I have seen CoD stuff. Never watched anything about Halo but I don't have an Xbox so don't care about that one.

As I said it is really rare so it is possible that they just happen to be really good. Tonight for example I saw a guy go 40 and 1. The rest of us on both teams where around 8 to 16 kills. The guy nearly out killed his entire team combined. Another reason I thought it may be a mouse thing is that in every game is in any game that I can use the Move I find my K/D ratio skyrockets when I use the move over the controller. Not uncommon for me to make everyone look bad just by switching to a better controller.

It also seems more common to CoD games. Now that I think about it all the weird stuff I see in only games seems to come from CoD games so maybe it is just a CoD thing.

Quote Originally Posted by HollerTH View Post
    I have been trying to figure out how rarely someone online will have accuracy that is totally beyond me. On PC I would expect Aimbot but kind of hard to think that is whats up on PS3. Kill cam doesn't show anything outside of what I would expect from a keyboard/mouse user but I doubt some of these people could it off with a controller.

I figured it was rare for people to use a device so they could play with mouse and keyboard but I am starting to wonder now. It seemed like cheating to me but if this is something that is more common then I think I may look into it.
    This is just people that are good at console FPS, not everyone that plays it is a stumbling idiot when it comes to aiming with a analog stick, but it takes time and practice to get that good. Go watch halo MLG vids or COD vids.

As I said it is really rare so it is possible that they just happen to be really good. Tonight for example I saw a guy go 40 and 1. The rest of us on both teams where around 8 to 16 kills. The guy nearly out killed his entire team combined. Another reason I thought it may be a mouse thing is that in every game is in any game that I can use the Move I find my K/D ratio skyrockets when I use the move over the controller. Not uncommon for me to make everyone look bad just by switching to a better controller.
    Thats just someone being good at the game, iv done that many times in halo and a few times in cod.
    Last edited by Zeta333; 2011-10-12 at 05:22 AM.

Well it seems it is just hack night. I watched a kill cam of a guy flying over half the map and then taking three of us out, we respawned and all started shooting at him and he killed us all again so yeah. First time I have ever seen crazy stuff like this on console and I have played a lot of FPS games on the PS3. Other then those two guys I haven't seen anything abnormal.

EDIT: Seems I am not making my self clear on how accurate this guy was. He never missed a single shot, not one. Even with two of us on him from different directions he still didn't miss while firing almost the entire time.
    Last edited by Ulfhedinn; 2011-10-12 at 07:10 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well it seems it is just hack night. I watched a kill cam of a guy flying over half the map and then taking three of us out, we respawned and all started shooting at him and he killed us all again so yeah. First time I have ever seen crazy stuff like this on console and I have played a lot of FPS games on the PS3. Other then those two guys I haven't seen anything abnormal.

EDIT: Seems I am not making my self clear on how accurate this guy was. He never missed a single shot, not one. Even with two of us on him from different directions he still didn't miss while firing almost the entire time.
    i doubt he was cheating, are there even cheats out for xbos games? i've seen my friend who is pretyy good at console fps games go 30ish and 2 and go on crazy killing sprees only using the tomahawk in cod, like myself and others have said.....some people are just better than you at the game, thats all...

Nah I have seen CoD stuff. Never watched anything about Halo but I don't have an Xbox so don't care about that one.

It also seems more common to CoD games. Now that I think about it all the weird stuff I see in only games seems to come from CoD games so maybe it is just a CoD thing.
    I suck with the xbox controller compared to other people and I even managed to pull off a score like that.

I wanted to play with keyboard/mouse in the beginning when I started to seriously play BO on the xbox but it costs too much money if you want it done right. There are some cheap ways to hook up kb/m but they apparently aren't very good and not an advantage over a console controller.

Some people just really underestimate how good people can play with console controllers. I did the same before I became better and I also thought that they had kb/m hooked up on their consoles but I think most of the time they haven't. I now also don't have a lot of problems to play properly with the controller but I still did better with kb/m on the PC after a year of playing on xbl.

The best pad players are as good as the average keyboard players. This is fact, not trolling.

http://kotaku.com/5593259/rumor-micr...60-online-play

I just found some random MLG footage from Halo 2.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4pE3UwiF4Y
    I know its old and he swords a lot of people, but you can see that someone who's good with a controller can be just as dominating as anyone else with proper skills.
    And yes, he dies a few times. This is MLG footage, not some pug kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Loot View Post
    The best pad players are as good as the average keyboard players. This is fact, not trolling.

That was my point. This guy was playing like a very good PC player.

The guy was destroying everyone and that would have to mean I suck big time. I am by no means the best but I am almost always in the top 3 for my team in every game mode for CoD games. The states of the rest of my team where not bad either. There was no one getting killed 30 times with no kills or anything like that.

Cheats for console as far as I knew where really really hard to pull off but can't be any harder than flying in CoD game because that is what I watched the guy do. The guy with the massive K/D didn't do anything like that so I can't say that for sure. I just say that he was accurate in a way that is beyond me unless he just got super lucky every single time I ran into him. One time he killed me through a wall so fast I didn't even get a chance to do anything.

I figured I would get a few people saying I just suck so thats cool. I get killed all the time by things I shouldn't have and its always someone lagging really bad. Strange to cause it only happens in the CoD games. Never really have trouble with it in Battlefield or MAG.

---------- Post added 2011-10-12 at 10:19 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ruzhyo View Post
    I just found some random MLG footage from Halo 2.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4pE3UwiF4Y
    I know its old and he swords a lot of people, but you can see that someone who's good with a controller can be just as dominating as anyone else with proper skills.
    And yes, he dies a few times. This is MLG footage, not some pug kids.
    First time watching any multiplayer halo game. The amount of grenades the throws is kind of crazy.

No. Kb/m only gives an advantage.

Microsoft found that even the best console gamers simply couldn't compete with the accuracy a mouse and keyboard afforded a PC player.
    They never said they were playing against average kb/m players.

So what you say is not a fact and you are trolling.

I am 100% sure the best xbox360 players will beat every 'average' PC player. A mouse can only react a little faster than a joystick but it doesn't make you shoot headshots, you still have to aim and react yourself.

Just look at this guy playing on the console who is not using kb/m.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOxuPMSmbl8

Are you seriously going to say that an average PC player will be faster just because he is using a mouse? This is btw not even the best I have seen, I just picked out a video quickly.
    These guys use sensitivity 10 or more on a controller. You should try that sometime. I don't even want to try it.
    Last edited by Gilian; 2011-10-12 at 01:39 PM.

There's got to be a better way to present it.
    Mouse and Keyboard are simply better to use, I'm sure the pad players would wreck the keyboard players easily if given a keyboard mouse configuration.

15+ Year Old Account
    People are just good with controller. I'm not one, but I watched by brother and his team play in the Halo Reach tournament at PAX and it's impressive how good people can be
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Deleted
    I dont use a mouse/keyboard for console i dont realy see a point for it easier with controller but i dont play online on my xbox360 anyway.

Well not only did I run into another hacker. It seems I ran into a famous one. Feelsbadbro

It makes me wonder just how many are able to hack on console. Also kind of kills the one thing Consoles had over PC.

Well not only did I run into another hacker. It seems I ran into a famous one. Feelsbadbro

It makes me wonder just how many are able to hack on console. Also kind of kills the one thing Consoles had over PC.
    Its very easy to hack a console now adays. Back when the OG xbox was out you needed action replay or a spliced controller wire, now you just upload shit to the hDD or get a modchip put in, But they get caught alot!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Its very easy to hack a console now adays. Back when the OG xbox was out you needed action replay or a spliced controller wire, now you just upload shit to the hDD or get a modchip put in, But they get caught alot!
    There are no hackers at all in CoD:BO on xbox360. It's still harder than hacking on the PC and apparently with good support of developers and microsoft impossible. They don't support older games and some developers don't put as much efford into making games hack free.

Rumor = Fact? Alert the dictionaries.

Actually OT: Some people are just really good at using controllers. I've seen people play both at reasonably high levels, and except for turning (somewhat), very little is actually affected.

And yes, various ways to hack and cheat exist on consoles, and not just the typical expected stuff either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    Rumor = Fact? Alert the dictionaries.

Actually OT: Some people are just really good at using controllers. I've seen people play both at reasonably high levels, and except for turning (somewhat), very little is actually affected.

And yes, various ways to hack and cheat exist on consoles, and not just the typical expected stuff either.
    Well, that's a news story, so you know it's going to be hammed up.

But the simple answer is that mice are far more precise than any gamepad can possibly be. WASD isn't necessarily better than a d-pad or analog stick for movement (that's just personal preference), but since you turn using your mouse... you can turn faster, aim faster, and aim precisely better with a quality mouse than any analog stick. That's simple fact.

Whether the people involved are better than one another, that's something entirely different. But the fact is that a console gamer will be limited by hardware, while a PC gamer (in this case, and in many others as well) will not.

I got a friend that never plays computer games, he doesn't even have a computer he could play games on. He plays a shitload of FPS games on his xbox though, I mean he plays a lot of xbox, and all different types of games, it's just mostly FPS. Pretty much whenever he has free time he's playing xbox and if he doesn't have a new game to play he's playing Halo Reach. I've watched him play, he can have his bad streaks every once in a while, but usually he's pretty good. All he does is go for headshots and he's pretty good at them, better than I am even with a mouse.
    Last edited by grandpab; 2011-10-14 at 11:39 AM.