Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How to gain weight

I am 17 years old and weigh only 55 kilograms. I am extremely skinny, and want to know how to gain weight effectively over a short period of time (3-4 months, if possible)

I eat ALL kinds of foods, I love my meats and especially my vegetables but I just can't rack up the weight I desperately want.
    I work out 3 times a week on average (Martial arts, warm-ups are intense and I always push myself to the limit)

I'll answer any questions which I see appropriate, no trolling thanks.

1. 6 healthy meals a day
    2. Weight training (compound exercises) 3 days a week
    3. Sleep
    4. Drink lots of water
    5. Protein
    6. You'll be Arnold Schwarzenegger in less than a year

Stop doing so much cardio, it's holding back your weight gain. Try to do more weights, cut back on the martial arts.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Cutting back is not an option, but I will begin weights in December. Right after my final examination. Thank you for your feedback

Quote Originally Posted by NotTrolololing View Post
    Cutting back is not an option, but I will begin weights in December. Right after my final examination. Thank you for your feedback
    I can understand cutting back is not an option but just realize that more physical activity means more calories expended so you have to eat more.

A) Get a weight training program going as soon as you can. I'd recommend something like Madcow's or Starting Strength. These programs emphasize compound lifts so your whole body and central nervous system will be getting a solid strength-focused workout.
    B) Start a food journal. The point isn't to obsess over what or how much you eat but rather to better understand how many calories you need. Seeing visually how much more food I needed to push from <3000 up to 4000 calories a day really helped me tighten my diet up.
    C) Since you're 17, I assume you live at home and are supported mainly by your parents. It's worth having a conversation with them so they understand what your desire is and what that means for calories and food. Your mom or dad probably don't want to cook extra meals for you so offer to help in the kitchen if you don't already and help find cost effective ways to get lean proteins, starches and healthy fats in larger quantities (Costco in America is amazing, I can get chicken breasts at $3/lb). Protein supplements and weight gainer shakes can help but they aren't necessary at all. They're convenient, but they're rarely as cost effective as whole food options. If money is the obstacle to extra groceries, you should be willing to get a job to pay for the extra calories you want/need.

55kg tells us you don't weigh much but we need to know height to gain a frame of reference. Also, you're a martial artist so I assume fast weight gain wouldn't benefit you like it would a linebacker. Your gains should be pretty crazy if you up your calories enough and start weight training (intelligently, don't just pick up a magazine workout and think it's good to go).

What are your goals? Rugby team? Bodybuilding? Powerlifting? Not looking anorexic? Your end goal will determine your path more specifically.

I'm approximately 170 cm

Take in more calories than you burn each day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, and eat. 4-6 meals a day, atleast 4 of them being solid meals. The other two - you could look into a weight gainer. I use MHP - Up Your Mass, and I've gained 7 lb in the last 3 weeks starting from 194, now 201. It's 40 bucks roughly and has 17 servings (1 serving = 4 scoops), take a half serving with 16-24 oz. of milk and It'll be just as good if you're looking for a 5-600 calorie snack. The bottom line - eat more calories.

Hamburger Helper. Lots of Whole Milk...a lot.

Nutella + cereal bars/nature oat's honey grain bars as snacks. taste awesome and full o sugar

Deleted
    jar of nutella and a spoon. once a week gogo

No need to eat 4-6 meals a day, most people will be able to gain weight from 3 solid meals a day.
    If you follow the majority of advice in this thread you will likely gain weight but not decent amounts of quality weight or lean mass, or you are just looking to get a bit of fat on?

The main thing is you need a "healthy" diet that is comprised mainly of whole foods, you can still have treats, cakes donuts etc but just don't go overboard on them.

Find the information you need in bodybuilding.com or search scooby on google... Do yourself a favour and not listen to any1 on a gaming forum for this kind of advice

lmao, scooby the bro-scientist.

Do yourself a favour and not listen to any1 on a gaming forum for this kind of advice
    By your own advice he should ignore you telling him to ignore the advice he receives here.

Quote Originally Posted by [Apok] View Post
    lmao, scooby the bro-scientist.

By your own advice he should ignore you telling him to ignore the advice he receives here.
    idd atleast i know where to direct him if he wants solid info

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalize View Post
    idd atleast i know where to direct him if he wants solid info
    If he had a more complicated question then yeah, I'd agree he should find a website/forum specialized for it, like Bodybuilding.com or whatever.
    But the question he asked was pretty simple and he's going to get the same advice anywhere.
    He needs to either:
    Increase calories consumed.
    or
    Decrease calories burned.

Jamine Eason's live fit program is pretty good. Although I found for phase 3 I did lose a bit more muscle than what I should have which could have easily been and probably was, a diet fault on my part (should have probably been eating more than I was).
    Last edited by handsdown; 2011-10-21 at 11:23 PM.
    you fill my lungs with sweetness & you fill my head with you.

I guess you are that kind of person who eats alot and can't gain weight

Anyway, the more I can say when I was gaining some weight was, eat alot of red meat, pasta, bread, potato and peanut butter for desert

Avoid crappy food like cake, chips, fast food. soda

Eating more meals per day speeds up your metabolism, therefore making you burn more calories per day. If you're going to eat that often, you should make sure that you're eating as much as you can and loading up on protein. Most body builders will just stack on the calories and food during the off season, allowing themselves to get fat (while still lifting weights to build their muscle) and then later they cut their weight down and burn the fat, leaving just the muscle showing.

Hence why you see those advertisements where they show a fat guy in one picture and then 2 months later he's incredibly ripped using their "weight burning product" the reality of it is that guy is a professional body builder with a strict diet and routine that allows him to cut that much weight in such a short period of time

^ CLICK HERE!! ^