Thread: Holy Light

Holy Light

My main is a druid and, while I am not doing heroics raids, I do have raiding experience on multiple characters, so I am not completely a noob. When I cast Nourish on my druid, it pretty much costs no mana. However, on my paladin, casting Holy Light runs me oom fairly quickly. This doesn't make any sense to me. I do use Holy Shock and Word of Glory on cooldown for the holy power. I really only do 5-man heroics on my paladin, so that might have something to do with it. My paladin toon is Dalrymple on Black Dragonflight if you want to see the gear. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

My main is a holydin and switching to any of my other healers spamming their cheapest heals: Heal, Nourish, Healing Wave doesn't lose mana at all, however holy light does. Paladins did have an increase in the mana cost of their heals not so long ago to reflect that they did have one of the best ways to regenerate mana. If you judge as close to cd as possible as well as using divine plea (there are so many luls where half healing is enough even in mid fight) you shouldn't have issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Entbark View Post
    My main is a druid and, while I am not doing heroics raids, I do have raiding experience on multiple characters, so I am not completely a noob. When I cast Nourish on my druid, it pretty much costs no mana. However, on my paladin, casting Holy Light runs me oom fairly quickly. This doesn't make any sense to me. I do use Holy Shock and Word of Glory on cooldown for the holy power. I really only do 5-man heroics on my paladin, so that might have something to do with it. My paladin toon is Dalrymple on Black Dragonflight if you want to see the gear. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
    You should have seen it before they increased the mana costs, twice.

What you're noticing is one of the main differences between Paladins and other healing classes, and the polar opposite of a Druid. As a druid, for the most part, your regeneration happens naturally, and when you are out of mana you are simply out of mana. There is no special timing for Innervate, and your talents activate on their own. Paladins, more than any other healers, have massive control over their blue bars from Judgement and Plea management. As a result of this, their spells cost grossly more than any other class.
    1% of the Heroes control 100% of the winrates
    #occupyantimage
    #occupynaturesprophet

Quote Originally Posted by Entbark View Post
    Holy Light with ilevel 359 gear shouldn't oom you at all. Are you talking about Divine Light?

You shouldn't be ooming casting HL, sure you don't mean Divine Light? Just make sure that you judge a lot even 5mans since the incoming damage is quite laughable.

you may want to take into consideration that they will be doing away with the judgement regening mana. you may want to try playing without it expecting that next patch you wont have it. i find it gives me an edge after new patches.

however you shouldnt run oom like that realy. you must have very very low mp5 or you are casting the wrong spell. acording to drdamage i would have to chain cast holy light for 150 seconds beffor going oom. so 2.5 min of nothing but chain casting holy lights. if you are ooming after a very short amount of time ( based on what you say probably the 1-1.5 min mark ) you should stack a bit more spirit and try to use plea on cooldown as much as you can without wiping the group.

I can hard cast holy light until I am blue in the face and it will never oom me. True, I'm 374 ilevel. What you're experiencing is a low geared paladin. Also, you're probably not judging on CD or making any attempt to. Judgement is a very large chunk of a paladin's mana regen. Furthermore, you most likely aren't stacking as much intellect as you could be. I have no clue, though, as I can't see your pally's gear or anything. All I know, is never ever should Holy Light oom you. You have to be really ungeared or just terrible (like stacking strength and noob shit like that) to be ooming on HL.

EDIT - Didn't see you posted your toon's name and server. Went and had a look, and I am convinced you're getting DL and HL mixed up. Even if you were the shittest paladin in all the land, HL wouldn't oom you in i357 gear. I will say, however, you should try to farm for some more holy pally suited pieces. (i.e. things with spirit and haste on them) just because your haste at 1400 is most likely pressuring you to cast larger heals in order to keep people alive. I have ~1900-2050 haste depending on if I'm using my 4 set tier bonus gear or my haste/spirit 2 set bonus gear, and in 5mans, I will almost never have to cast a divine light just because hard casting a cycle of holy light>holy shock>WoG is typically more than enough to keep a 5man up and topped off. It gets much easier with more (and better itemized) gear, just like any other class. You'll get the hang of it.
    Last edited by Servasus; 2011-10-13 at 06:33 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by meliancill View Post
    you may want to take into consideration that they will be doing away with the judgement regening mana. you may want to try playing without it expecting that next patch you wont have it. i find it gives me an edge after new patches.

however you shouldnt run oom like that realy. you must have very very low mp5 or you are casting the wrong spell. acording to drdamage i would have to chain cast holy light for 150 seconds beffor going oom. so 2.5 min of nothing but chain casting holy lights. if you are ooming after a very short amount of time ( based on what you say probably the 1-1.5 min mark ) you should stack a bit more spirit and try to use plea on cooldown as much as you can without wiping the group.
    They are not ''doing away with judgement regenning mana''. The haste buff granted by judging will now also grant a 30% increase in Spirit based mana regen. So instead of judging off CD for a SoI proc, you'll only judge to refresh the buff. You will still judge, and it will still be for mana regen.

Quote Originally Posted by Syridian View Post
    They are not ''doing away with judgement regenning mana''. The haste buff granted by judging will now also grant a 30% increase in Spirit based mana regen. So instead of judging off CD for a SoI proc, you'll only judge to refresh the buff. You will still judge, and it will still be for mana regen.
    I think what he means is you're not judging for immediate mana return anymore. And I would hardly consider having to refresh a buff once every minute to be very taxing. The sheer amount of GCD's we are going to gain from not having to spam judgement is going to make all the difference in the world, not mention the change scales with higher gear, unlike the old judgement mechanic. True, it's not "doing away with" anything, but I think you very well knew what he meant by that statement.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Servasus View Post
    I think what he means is you're not judging for immediate mana return anymore. And I would hardly consider having to refresh a buff once every minute to be very taxing. The sheer amount of GCD's we are going to gain from not having to spam judgement is going to make all the difference in the world, not mention the change scales with higher gear, unlike the old judgement mechanic. True, it's not "doing away with" anything, but I think you very well knew what he meant by that statement.
    He suggests ''Playing without it'' to get a feel for how Pallies will play in 4.3. Not regenning mana from judgement is NOT how pallies will work in 4.3. It would create an even bigger mana issue for the OP than he already is having, and would not represent the patch changes at all.

I'm not trying to win an argument of semantics, I'm trying to stop the OP being given rubbish advice.

syr, i ment that he should try not using it because he wont have to cast it every 8 seconds. 1 per min is what he will have to cast and you know what i ment, if you want to bash me over my choice of words be my guest but everyone els here knows what i ment. you are the only one who seems to have missed it.

What I am getting from here is that I am not judging enough. I will try that. Thanks, all!

Quote Originally Posted by meliancill View Post
    Reread the patch notes and the ability. Go ahead, I'll give you time.

As for the OP, while your gear isn't bad, it isn't particularly good either. I'd suggest you pick up more spirit on gems (most paladins prefer to gem for socket bonuses, all stats are pretty close to equal). Avoid casting holy light on the tank, you gain nothing aside from minor mastery shields (E.G., not worth it). While judging more will provide some regen and you should do it, you should also use Blessing of Might over Kings.

Looking at your mana regen, there is just no way you would go ooom casting Holy Light. It's too slow of a heal anyways, that toons will die if that's your sole heal. So are you confusing it with Flash of Light or Divine Light? I am glad you said you will judge more, but still... Now if your rotating other heals in like Holy Radiance (at not the best times) you may go ooom cuz that's an expensive spell.

Quote Originally Posted by Obsession View Post
    most paladins prefer to gem for socket bonuses, all stats are pretty close to equal
    No they're not

On topic: Holy Light can make you go oom (well using only holy lights this should still take at least 10 minutes) because it is fairly expensive compared to other healers' slow/weak heals but is also more powerful if used correctly (100% beacon heal)

10+ Year Old Account
    It's difficult to remember to judge if the tanks or dps are doing something phenomenally retarded at times. I know the pains of when I was scooting around in greens and blues near the start of the expansion, I WANTED to judge, I WANTED mana, but of course Sally-Tankfail and David-Dpsderp decide that dipping to under 20% health every other second is a-okay in their book.

Holy Light COULD theoretically make you oom if you absolutely spammed it without any judges. But there would have to be rare gaps in the spam.
    Trade out for divine light, the bigger heal is supposed to give you just enough leeway via the amount and the mastery little bubble it leaves for the tank to hang on til you're finished judging. I only holy light alot anymore if I'm 2-healing a raid fight and mana is of the essence.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.