Thread: Are you afraid?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Are you afraid?

..I am. I am afraid the game wont live up the expectations.

But what I am most afraid of is the backbone of the people in charge. If GW2 grows as big as many people think it will, big enough to challenge WoW or even knock WoW of the throne, then all hell will truly brake loose. Will they be able to resist the whiners?

More people = More tards which again = rotten community (Just look at what WoW has become).

Is it wrong of me to hope that this game will be awesome with a minority of people playing it?
    X:"Echo?"
    Echo: "What?
    Echo: "What?!"
    X: "Nothing"

Definately not afraid that the game will end up being bad since I've already had 2 hours of playtime with it in total and it was all amazing, but I do worry a little that the sort of whiners that you frequently find in the WoW community will make things unpleasant. I have faith in Arenanet that they won't listen to them, but I fear for the chat channels in-game.

I'm not afraid. ArenaNet has shown us in the past that they know what they're doing when it comes to balancing an MMO. I can't say much for the community or the chats, but I don't see that as a reason to hope that Guild Wars 2 is not as successful as it deserves to be.

Not really. If the game doesn't live up to my expecations then I will be really, really surprised. I don't think I could trust a game company again after that. I doubt that will happen though. I don't really see much of anything to be worried about.

People tend to look back with rose-tinted glasses, but even in Guild Wars 1 there were quite a few unpleasant people. Every community has good and bad people. Luckily we can just /ignore them. Wonder how big the list capacity is this time?

Deleted
    Played it at Eurogamer.

It was beyond my expections, shame the same didn't happen for SWToR when I played that too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, I'm viewing this game like me and my brother viewed Halo 2. We listened to the "secret recordings", followed reviews on it, watched little videos of it. And it did deliver! Yes it wasn't an MMO, but Bungie lived up to making it as epic as everyone wanted! That's all I want out of ArenaNet and GW2, I want them to ignore the "QQ'ing", and morning, and b*tching that losers always spew, and will continue to spew. I think a lot of these Arenanet folks are down to earth people who just want to make a game that can thrive in the "fast-paced MMO scene" (I don't believe this, none have trumped WoW yet, but it's the term people use nowadays) and yet still let everyone on some platform get a piece of the action (PvP and PvE, casuals and zealous players).

Quote Originally Posted by Plagous View Post
    People tend to look back with rose-tinted glasses, but even in Guild Wars 1 there were quite a few unpleasant people. Every community has good and bad people. Luckily we can just /ignore them. Wonder how big the list capacity is this time?
    I havent played GW1. But I kinda vitnessed the transformation from Vanilla community(and before someone says it, yes there were assholes there as well) to Cata.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm kind of afraid of how the dynamic events will work globally.

How will they recycle?
    How will it affect all other players?
    How long should you go to find a ongoing event?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd also like to note that I'm not "afraid" of this, but I do want to see more on the Engineer. Our list of moves isn't even half way done.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/List_of_engineer_skills

Here's hoping they don't drop anything due to being incomplete or incompatible! D:

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not afraid about them not going to deliver on the expectations, their claims are not really superlative or anything, and the videos seem to back them up.
    The community on the other hand could be worrisome, but from what I've seen and read the gameplay actively supports collaboration and gameplay does have an influence on player behavior, so lets see how that works out.
    Another thing that could influence the community if everyone starts out acting like decent human beings. That seemed to work out perfectly fine in the latest Modern Warfare Beta.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Not really. I think that Anet have already proven themselves to be competent designers, and GW1 was different than a lot of open world MMOs, but lacked dynamism in the PvE experience. Instead of simply creating a persistent world, they've created a dynamic persistent world.

In that respect I think that the expectations are well warranted. Philosophically the game has a base that hasn't really been attempted, and with the solid development team I have confidence that they'll be able to pull it off. What makes me extremely confident, is that all the developers (as seen in multiple interviews) have a solid grasp of the philosophy they're trying to implement in the game. They all speak eloquently and passionately about the game they're making (and playing). You get the feeling they're all working towards the same goal, no matter the environment they're working in (whether it be the core mechanics of the game, to the PvE experience, dungeons, open world, PvP).

A coherent gaming ideology, good developers who are passionate about their work, and good leadership so that their philosophy stays focused.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't worry about the game expectations, but more on the community. When a game gets fame, it brings over all the rotten ones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eorayn View Post
    I'm kind of afraid of how the dynamic events will work globally.

How will they recycle?
    How will it affect all other players?
    How long should you go to find a ongoing event?
    A few mins in youtube will fix your curiosity :P The only thing I am afraid is that it wont run on my pc :P Other than that the wait will be worth it if they keep their words "Its done when its done"

No, I'm not afraid. At least not of a video game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its easy to get overhyped, and thus its naturally easy to get dissapointed. But seriously, just relax, no gain in worrying over it

Me not worrying is like Sheldon Cooper suddenly growing social skills!

10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest, there is so much that is positive that whatever negatives I do come across will still make the game better by leaps and bounds to what is currently available, at least based on the style I like to play. It is always a risk to overhype something because ultimately there will be some form of disapointment but it's my belief that will be minimal. I mean no grinding, no trinity, self heal, gear equality, customization, pigeons dropping mail, a whole city block to yourself, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Morbius View Post
    a whole city block to yourself
    Pfft city block; Asura get a massive personal laboratory >:D

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Pfft city block; Asura get a massive personal laboratory >:D
    I spend far too much time in one every day, so I’ll stick with the Block Party! Oh....but I will keep a watchful eye on those who skulk around in their laboratories, sneaky little people!