Finally decided to lose weight.

So I've finally decided that I'm going to stop being a fat obese american and lose a lot of weight. I currently weigh around I would guess 340-60ish maybe more(haven't been weighed since my last year of high school >> was 316 back then). Was looking to drop to around 180-190.

Anyone got any tips?

~75% of weight loss comes from proper nutrition.

There are a lot of various routes you can go about, but many people I know get great results from cutting down on their carbohydrates. The carbs they do have are just typically vegetables.

Basically if you eat lean cuts of meat (assuming you're not vegetarian or something) + veggies and the occasional random starch via potato or brown rice is cool. Cut out sodas/alcohol and the like -- keep to water if you can help it.

Realistically it's the whole burn more calories than you take in type deal.

Finally, don't get discouraged. It's a total lifestyle change. You won't be dropping 100 lbs in 1 or 2 months.

Right, this one will be a bit short and sweet, because I was almost finished writing a really long, motivational and well thought out post, when fucking google chrome crashes on me!

Right, yeah. Radux mentioned cutting out soda and beer which is some of the best advice you can ever have. Soda is just awful and will really hold you back. Even if you switch to diet it is still ridiculously unhealthy. Cutting it out and replacing with water will be a general help to your health, as well as helping weight loss. He also mentioned beer, which is in the same boat. Now this obviously isn't to say that when you are out with friends, Friday night, you can't have a few. But it's about moderation. It's all about moderation.

And yes, 75% of weight loss is proper nutrition. But that leaves 25% as exercise, which is the fun bit!

At first, things like jogging may be a bit difficult, so you could try doing it in intervals. Jog for a minute, walk for 30 seconds, then jog for a minute ect ect. Then gradually increase the intensity until you are just jogging! And don't comfortably sit here either, always be increasing the intensity. Whether that means timing yourself and always trying to beat that time, or increasing the distance each week. You can also jog early in the morning and get some really awesome views, so that's always a nice way to start the day.

You could also try something like kickboxing or boxercise classes if you're more into that sort of thing. I always think these are really good because it's the type of thing that covers me in sweat, so you know it's doing something! Alternatively, you could get a punch bag, all sorts you can do with that. One of my favs is a combo (quite often it's done as 10 simple jab-crosses), then jog/sprint to one point and then back to the bag. Make sure you have a point set to run to, and then come back and do 10 more jab-crosses, and off you go again. Set a time limit and keep pushing yourself until the time is up, do not train to failure, because, at least in my opinion, I think that psychologically it's a really bad idea.

But for cardio fitness, there's so many options out there from boxercise to jogging to skipping to, well, anything. There's so many options for cardio workouts out there, it's just a matter of finding some that work for you. You could also find a sport. I don't know much about American football, or how you are built, but I can guess you are built pretty big, meaning that you might have a really good physique for American football, so you could even try out something like that if you like.

Weights can also increase metabolism, thereby helping with weight loss. Just try simple things like squats, deadlifts ect. But bare in mind this will make up a very small, very tiny part of your total fitness program, so don't go overboard with these (well, dont go overboard with anything, but that's besides the point!).

So yeah, good luck man. Any other questions, ask here and I'm sure people will try and clear things up. And finally, enjoy it, especially the exercise part! Don't make it a chore, make it something that you think 'Ooh, when I wake up, I get to do X'. It might not be like this at first, but if you stick with it and make it something you enjoy, you'll almost inevitably keep with it, and therefore stay fit and in good shape.

Edit: Fuck me, that wasn't so short and sweet.
    Cho’Gall: Cairne Bloodhoof is dead? Did we kill him?
    Deathwing: No. The Grimtotems weakened him with poison, and then Garrosh accidentally hacked him to death with an axe during a heated political discussion.
    Cho’Gall: How do you accidentally kill someone with an axe?

Sell your weight to this guy. http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post13634151

(cheek-in-tongue )
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

As Radux mentioned (especially for such a large weight-loss goal), most of that weight loss will come from proper eating habits.
    I would suggest that you post your meals for an average day or two, to give people an idea of what/how you eat.

And remember:
    - No fast food
    - No Soda
    - As little juice as possible
    - Lots and lots of Water
    - Eat regular, portioned meals
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Its Science, just ask Albert Einstien, he invented Space

No doubt, most people who want to lose weight want to do it as fast as possible - but too quick, and you'll end up with flabby skin because the skin won't be able to repair itself quick enough to "snap back" into place. I'm not 100% certain on this, but at your weight, I'm guessing it would probably be O.K. to lose 4-5lbs a week for the first 6-8 weeks. Then once you drop to 300, I'd start aiming for 1.5-2lbs a week. Sure, process is slow (a little over a year if you want to get down to 200) but the flabby skin you won't have to deal with will be worth it. I'd say low 200's, wouldn't try to lose anymore than a pound a week. Although nutrition is the largest part, exercising will help you to construct a better physique and your heart will be healthier, too! Focus on both cardio and weights in order to help preserve lean muscle mass. Looking at your current weight - when you first start working out, don't go bananas. Of course, make yourself sweat and give yourself a bit of a challenge; once whatever you are doing becomes easy, that is a good sign as your fitness level is rising and that is your signal to challenge yourself more. Keep adjusting, keep challenging when the things you are doing aren't seeming like much of a struggle.

Was mentioned already, but definitely try to watch carbohydrate intake. If you are going to snack on the occasional high carb food, I would choose to eat a starchy vegetable like sweet potato or butternut squash because they are yummyness ^^ (also because they are in season right now) But it really comes down to calories in < calories out to shed the weight. The lower you become, the less calories you will need to eat so make sure to adjust appropriately as you lose or you won't see further loss.
    Last edited by handsdown; 2011-10-14 at 03:07 AM.
    you fill my lungs with sweetness & you fill my head with you.

Thanks for the tips

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Sell your weight to this guy. http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post13634151

(cheek-in-tongue )
    If only I could =/

eat fewer carbs more protein rich low fat foods like fish or skinless chicken
    NO SODA
    NO SUGAR
    NO EMPTY CARBS in forms of pasta, white bread

Start an exercise routine starting with gentle walking or swimming to begin with.
    but if you really wan't to succeed try a website which plans your meals and exercise or of course go see a personal trainer or nutritionist if you really have no idea what to do

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post
    So I've finally decided that I'm going to stop being a fat obese american and lose a lot of weight. I currently weigh around I would guess 340-60ish maybe more(haven't been weighed since my last year of high school >> was 316 back then). Was looking to drop to around 180-190.

Anyone got any tips?
    water not soda, eat healthy filing meals, run miles/bike miles, and dont sit down for too long of your day, go out and enjoy it =D

Definitely take it slow, but I am going to go against the grain and suggest something a bit unorthodox.

Do NOT cut out soda.
    Do NOT cut out fast food.

DO drink less soda, eat less fast food.

Every time I tried to lose weight completely cutting out fast food and soda killed me. After a week or two I decided that I'd rather be fat and die of a heart attack. Finally after graduation I sat down and decided that I did want to lose weight and lower my blood pressure. Instead of cutting out bad stuff, I just lowered how much of it I had. I used to drink about 5-6 cans of coke a day, now I am down to 2-3. I still eat fast food about 3 times a week, but I stopped getting burgers with 2-3 patties, and I try to do more chicken instead of red meat.I eat salads, but always with ranch.

Ultimately it comes down to being able to cut back on calories and exercising. A fried chicken sandwich with ranch dressing is far from healthy, but at about 500 calories it is better than getting a double bacon cheeseburger at ~1500 calories. Go for walks, I walk everyday after lunch, and find something fun to do. I picked up playing tennis and racquetball when I get the free time.

Its not fast weight loss, but I was 235 pounds when I graduated college in May, five months later I am down to 215. And best of all, I was able to stick with it for 5 months
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

If you are like me and hate exercize lol, then you can still loose weight with a good diet, but it will be much slower.

The past couple years i knew i was gettin fat lol. Tho, its really only a gut, im not fat anywhere else. I got on the scale in late July and when i saw 195 (im 5'11") i was like, i finally need to do something here. I have slowly been weening into a better diet already, but it wasnt working all the way. After i saw that i got more strict with myself.

I have started making my own lunch instead of going to lunch with coworkers everyday. I take one of those Healthy Choice meals, and a couple low-cal snacks with a bottle of water. Now heres the extra kicker. I used to spend roughly $8-15 each day on lunches going out. Now, im spending maybe $5. The HC meals are a buck 50, water is .60c and the snacks are not much more. So ive been loosing weight, and saving money, win win.

If you are like me i hate plain water, its boring lol. I either put some Mio in water, or i pick up some bottles of sparkling water from wal-mart for .60c for a 1L. 0 calories and it tastes/feels just like soda.

Another thing i did was take that Alli shit...now its got some funky side effects and im reading more and more about people getting liver damage from it so im prolly gonna stop taking it, but im not sure how much it helped anyway.

Lastly, i turned a bad situation into something good. Now i said i hate exercise, but i dont mind hard work. I live about 4 miles from where the earthquake in VA happened and it fucked my house up pretty bad. The chimney actually broke off and fell thru the house, and completely shattered the fire place below. It was literally 6-7 truck loads of bricks and cinderblocks i had to load and haul off, in addition, i have been working on my range in the yard, and have been building a natural backstop/berm to shoot at, so ive been carrying huge trees from around the yard and stacking them up. That alone i think was the biggest factor in loosing weight. Not a day went by for about a month that i wasnt soaked in sweat, tired, sore and cut up.

Now i said late July i was at 195, my goal is 170. I weighed myself this morning and im at 181. I think thats pretty good for a small diet change and a month of hard work.