Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    I have always played a thief/rogue/ninja in every RPG or MMO for years now, so i personally will be maining a thief. But the fact that all the classes are different and can hold their own will make me play all of them. I have a feeling ele will be the best for skill users since its so adaptable. The thief right now doesn't look like it can adapt from the skill sets i've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostrider View Post
    I know all about statistics, I just didn't wanted to crit everyone with a wall of text.
    I'll take you at your word on that. you wouldn't believe, actual probably you would, how many times I see forum dwellers yank completely asinine conclusions out of their rectal cavities all justified by the line "the statistics dont lie" I've just come to loathe that particular one liner :P

Who is John Galt?

I love statistics (purely from a math point of view, I love the math of statistics). Sadly, any "stats" about this topic are going to biased simply based on where/when and the community that the "statistical gaining device" (aka polls in most cases) is gathered from. Not to mention the 8th profession isn't known yet (we can speculate, but we also have no idea of how it will play yet).

HOWEVER, all that said, from most of the polls that have been done, across various sites, the representation of professions is fairly equal. Taking a guess, I'd say that the "most played" is around 8-10% higher than the "least played" based on polls. That's not that much when you consider the spread being 8 classes. I've seen some polls that display this in a pie chart even, and I think that is an awesome way to show that while representation isn't equal (and never will be) for the most part there is no one dominating profession.

I would say that no profession is likely to dominate in numbers; and while this wont be shown, at least, until a few months into game release and we could maybe get some validation from A-net; I would take a guess that there wont be any overpopulation of any one profession to the point that one would notice it without a chart of some kind.

Thief and Engineer have instant appeal before people make an informed decision after some research. I'm not say either profs are bad, they just have elements that instantly pop out as cool or interesting to many people (Stealth and Fire/Gadgets, respectively). Personally, I'll probably play engineer, but having not played the game at all I couldn't say.

I'm sure there'll be an inflation of Engineer and Thief in the beginning, mostly since Engineer is such an unconventional class (compared to WoW and other MMOs besides Warhammer), but polls on these websites and forum threads simply aren't a good gauge for class population.

Just think: How many people that play WoW know about mmo-champion? Maybe a million, probably more, but definitely not enough to where polls on this site are accurate. The same goes for the Guild Wars fan sites.

Normally, people that are active in forums are the people that are excited about the game prior to release. They scrounge around all the forums and find all the info they can get. In that process, they become a part of that community. Gamers that either don't care enough about the game or hear about it on release and pick it up for whatever reason are MUCH less likely to read forums and news posts.

Don't hold your breath: I'm sure there'll be plenty of diversity on release

I love the idea of the Engineer. They get to have pistols/rifles, and can equip lots of different types of Kits that make them able to do dmg, set down healing packs, and use a flamethrower! They seem to be a jack of all trades, only NOT in the way WoW devs constantly talk about the Priest class. Engineers get to have a regular weapon set, and the Kits are bound to 7, 8, and 9 slots on the hotbar. So you could have an Engineer with close range weapon, long range, and any combination of Kits to really add to the versatility of the group. Yes, please.

From what I've seen in various forums there will be no true dominating class being played, in fact a lot of the time the classes are relatively even in terms of interest. Also until the final profession is revealed(DO IT NOW ARENANET!!!) then there is no telling which class would dominate. x3