Page 44 of 81 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Are there any good comedy anime's that dont rely on a high school setting?

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is the closest that i've seen though I didnt even realise it was a comedy until after I watched the show and was looking at its genres on myanimelist

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by orangelemonrain View Post
    Are there any good comedy anime's that dont rely on a high school setting?

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is the closest that i've seen though I didnt even realise it was a comedy until after I watched the show and was looking at its genres on myanimelist
    comedy without highschool? try mondaiji-tachi. its only 10 episodes long and its pretty hilarious.
    you can also look at hataraku maou-sama
    Last edited by AceofHarts; 2013-06-17 at 02:38 PM.

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hey guys does anyone know a similar anime to toradora or sakurasou no pet kanojo? Slice of life, comedy, romance and such. Thanks in advance.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by taurenguard View Post
    Hey guys does anyone know a similar anime to toradora or sakurasou no pet kanojo? Slice of life, comedy, romance and such. Thanks in advance.
    there is plenty of them out there, but i think the one i liked the most (and it has a lot of drama in it) is myself, yourself.
    also might want to take a look at Love Hina, Clannad, and Shuffle.

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    there is plenty of them out there, but i think the one i liked the most (and it has a lot of drama in it) is myself, yourself.
    also might want to take a look at Love Hina, Clannad, and Shuffle.
    Thanks I watched clannad and love hina gonna watch myself,yourself then
    Edit: I have to say the anime was absolutely what I wanted it even had some thrilling moments just like schooldays at the end!
    Last edited by Glaziola; 2013-06-17 at 11:10 PM.

Deleted
    New to anime, finished Persona 4, caught up with Attack on Titan and also watched Moribito.
    I'm looking for suggestions or recommendations and also opinions on these 4 that I queued up, Devil Survivor 2, Senyu, Sword Art Online and Blast of Tempest.

Not really a request, more a few suggestions/summaries of the latest batch of anime. Note that these are not all the ones I've seen recently, but merely the ones that I'd recommend to others for the time being. I may add others at a later date, but this is my higher tier run-down for the time being.

Monogatari Series Second Season : Episode 1 - 4/5.

Another story begins, another apparition appears. Most definitely a welcome continuation for those who've followed the series so far, as usual, almost impenetrable for those who have not watched any of the prior series. Excellent animation and interesting angles, adding dynamic flow to the usual verbal onslaught.

Danganronpa The Animation : Episode 1 - 3/5.

High school Mirai Nikki style 'murder someone to win' shenanigans, via Persona 4's visual style. Possibly one to keep an eye on, though the sheer weird factor is a little off putting. The designs of the characters are very much to the 'weird but cute' style of the Persona series and very reminiscent of One Piece's over the top visual style. The characters are interesting, but the idea is a bit played out now. It'll all depend on how the story actually goes down and what twists/turns pop up.

Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi : Episode 1 5/5.

It has me hooked, almost instantly with a style reminiscent of Full Metal Alchemist, via Mahou Shoujo. The main character is a young girl, tasked with the job of a 'grave keeper', in a world where people no longer die naturally, because god has abandoned them. The girl reacts to this job in the way a magical girl might to receiving magical powers and a wand. The premise is both disturbing and fascinating at the same time and I'm genuinely interested to see where they go with this series. The art's by Madhouse and will probably warrant a watch, even if it doesn't interest you, for the sheer design value, background art and general colouring/animation.

Shingeki No Kyojin : Episode 13/13.5 - 4/5.

This show continues its slow burning delivery and is just getting to the point where everything begins to amp up. For people put off by the slow proceedings, don't worry, it really does start to pay off and we should see a rapid acceleration of pacing around the episode 18~20 mark. Each episode has covered a literal chapter of Manga, faithfully replicated and with some of the highest animation/art production values in any anime series I've seen. Still must watch material.

Little Witch Academia : One-Shot/OAV 4.5/5.

An awesome, TV series episode length animation, funded by the 2012 Young Animator Training Project. Basically, Harry Potter via mahou shoujo, but far faster paced due to the compressed time frame, with its own twist. An excellent action anime, with tightly paced action, fairly standard, but quirky and likeable characters, with exceptional animation. It's the kind of animation that could act as a pilot to a full series and hopefully might. It's got numerous little magic based in-jokes and subtle nods going on. I'd recommend it to most anyone looking for something quick and entertaining to watch.

Ghost in the Shell Arise : OAV/Episode 1 - 5/5.

I know a lot of people have kicked up a fuss about the redesigns and such, but pay no heed. This is Ghost In The Shell that we all love and know. The visuals just make it the equivalent of a 'Ghost In The Shell: Begins'. Though, despite how that may sound, it's not darker or grittier. It show holds true to everything you'd expect from a solid hour of Stand Alone Complex or one of the films. The only major change (forgive the pun) is to Kusanagi, who looks far younger here and generally slightly less cynical than 'her' older looking, more jaded iterations.

Kusanagi appears to be still act more human than she normally does, though she appears to be fully cyborg as usual. This especially shows up in her facial expression ranges. Also she seems a bit greener in general, not being on par with the tactical pre-emptive nature of her later/previous self. Despite these changes, Motoko is still the same bad-ass cyber-hacker and fighter we all love and know. The chief, Aramaki has got dark hair, yet to develop his more fragile looking paleness that we all know and the rest of the cast look fairly similar, if not the same as their current previous versions, if just a touch younger in general.

The episode/oav felt more like a summary of how things all began - getting the band together for the first time, if you will. The animation, sound, voice acting and general presentation are all top-notch, Production IG at their best efforts, easily equal to any of the series and almost on par with the movies. I'll certainly be looking out for the next parts to this.
    Last edited by Shinzai; 2013-07-07 at 11:22 PM.

Deleted
    So, I'm relatively new to this whole business, I've been reading One Piece for several years now and have watched Death Note & Attack on Titan. I rather like that stylistic approach, meaning it shouldn't be too, eh, cartoony. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Tarend View Post
    So, I'm relatively new to this whole business, I've been reading One Piece for several years now and have watched Death Note & Attack on Titan. I rather like that stylistic approach, meaning it shouldn't be too, eh, cartoony. Any suggestions?
    Steins Gate.
    Le Chevalier D'eon.
    Psycho Pass.
    Full Metal Alchemist.
    Samurai Champloo.
    Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex, or the first movie (the two are not related plot wise).
    Macross Plus (movie or series, movie is a tighter version of the series with a couple of new scenes).
    Cowboy Bebop (movie and series, both are must watches, the movie is essentially a long episode).

All of the above are pretty good entries to exploring more anime, with a more tangible weight to them, a feeling of gritty believability and complex/in depth stories. All of them have pretty much fantastic and specifically non-cute animation/art styles.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarend View Post
    code geass season 1/2.
    sword art online.
    both of these are good starter animes, though personally sao is highly overrated, it is still good.

i kinda want to take a break from what i normally watch, and see something more heart-felt. the only show like this that i actually enjoyed was spice and wolf. anyone know a show to match that? doesn't have to be strictly fantasy setting, just preferably not the typical highschool setting. I cant get into shows like that.

You might like Arakawa under the Bridge and the 2nd season Arakawa under the Bridge x Bridge. It's a comedy/slice of life with a subversive love story. Honestly when it ended it really gave me a longing feeling for wanting it to continue.

There is also Usagi Drop which is about a man who pretty much adopts a child and learning how to be a father figure.
    Last edited by Evilmaniac; 2013-07-09 at 04:06 AM.

ill check'em out, thanks

Deleted
    Hello everyone!
    I'm kinda new to the animes but I have a lot of free time and I always look forward to starting a new good anime! Thing is... it's a bit hard sometimes to find something that suits my tastes aside from the "juggernauts".
    Animes I've watched so far are : One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail and Attack on Titan.
    What I'm looking for is:
    Another anime with a good and funny protagonist who values his/her friends, improves and becomes stronger in his way to achieve his goal, fights big organizations to accomplish his goal (espada/akatsuki/shichibukai) and has a large cast of supporting characters with interesting backgrounds that make them look fresh and unique. Also it would be nice if the anime has really cool/emotional OSTs and if it's an ongoing long anime.
    Maybe I ask a bit too much but thank you in advance :c

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenia View Post
    Hello everyone!
    I'm kinda new to the animes but I have a lot of free time and I always look forward to starting a new good anime! Thing is... it's a bit hard sometimes to find something that suits my tastes aside from the "juggernauts".
    Animes I've watched so far are : One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail and Attack on Titan.
    What I'm looking for is:
    Another anime with a good and funny protagonist who values his/her friends, improves and becomes stronger in his way to achieve his goal, fights big organizations to accomplish his goal (espada/akatsuki/shichibukai) and has a large cast of supporting characters with interesting backgrounds that make them look fresh and unique. Also it would be nice if the anime has really cool/emotional OSTs and if it's an ongoing long anime.
    Ao No Exorcist / Blue Exorcist sounds like it fits perfectly. Interesting story, interesting characters and one of the most awesome soundtracks i have ever heard in an anime.
    http://myanimelist.net/anime/9919/Ao_no_Exorcist
    And as an example for the soundtrack:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0rkfT6R4pM

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Comburo View Post
    Ao No Exorcist / Blue Exorcist sounds like it fits perfectly. Interesting story, interesting characters and one of the most awesome soundtracks i have ever heard in an anime.
    http://myanimelist.net/anime/9919/Ao_no_Exorcist
    And as an example for the soundtrack:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0rkfT6R4pM
    The soundtrack you linked me is pretty good, I've went ahead and read a short review of the anime too and it looks like something that suits my tastes. Thank you very much :>

Deleted
    The soundtrack you linked me is pretty good, I've went ahead and read a short review of the anime too and it looks like something that suits my tastes. Thank you very much :>
    No problem, you might also want to check out Soul Eater, Nurarihyon no Mago and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. They too have a great story (the Fullmetal Alchemist one, is even one of the best out there), while also have some comedy elements.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Little Witch Academia : One-Shot/OAV 4.5/5.

An awesome, TV series episode length animation, funded by the 2012 Young Animator Training Project. Basically, Harry Potter via mahou shoujo, but far faster paced due to the compressed time frame, with its own twist. An excellent action anime, with tightly paced action, fairly standard, but quirky and likeable characters, with exceptional animation. It's the kind of animation that could act as a pilot to a full series and hopefully might. It's got numerous little magic based in-jokes and subtle nods going on. I'd recommend it to most anyone looking for something quick and entertaining to watch.
    I'll second this one, it was enjoyable, and they've got a kickstarter going to try and make more.

What I'm looking for is:
    Yu yu hakusho, rurouni kenshin, hunter x hunter, scryed, busou renkin, get backers(anime splits off from manga about 3/4s through, manga has lots more stuff), project arms (this one is really average), hitman reborn! (first lots of episodes are kinda different but turns into typical shounen power level stuff, manga is still on going), tengen toppa gurren lagann, soul eater (splits from manga about 3/4ths of the way through, manga is still on going)

if you don't mind shows that don't have a real ending: guyver (manga is still on going after like 20+ years), flame of recca (manga has a real ending, there is also an ova that shows the ending but a lot of stuff happens between the ova and the end of the anime), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi (manga is still on going)

Quote Originally Posted by taurenguard View Post
    Sakurasou is one of my favourites

I'm not sure what you have watched but I've watched tones of anime that falls into those genres, unfortunately not many have been as memorable as sakurasou.

Not sure if you have watched any of these since you didnt provide a list of any kind.

Kimi ga Aruji de Shitsuji ga Ore de - One of my recent discoveries that actually turned out to be pretty funny and really enjoyable. Give it about 3 eps to get started. If you really enjoy it you will probably enjoy its alternative setting "Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai!", its a completely different anime but a few of the characters are almost exactly the same when it comes to their personalities (same authors).

Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru - Worth checking out the first two to three eps, similar to Sakurasou though its very recent so you may have seen it.

Mayo Chiki! - Again, similar to Sakurasou genre related

Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko. - Female lead is very similar to the female lead in Sakurasou due to their emotionless faces.

Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai - The synopsis sounds stupid and I put it off for a few months because of it, eventually when I came around to watching it it turned out to be an Anime I'd gladly place in a top 20 list. Chances are you have probably watched it though, season 3 is currently airing.