Page 80 of 81 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnillon View Post
    Am looking something similar to SoA and Akame ga kill!. Anything good with decent story to recommend? Generally anything in that category would do.

Here's my Anime list: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/kohuke . I have some yet to watch, but none really hold interest based on the story synopses at present moment.
    I loved Akami ga Kill, too! Mostly how the main character wasn't a whiny little bitch...seriously. I hate that. You can't have an action series where the main character is afraid to fight or kill. Hell, to my knowledge, Naruto only ever got one kill. Anyone know an anime with a similar protagonist, someone between Shinji's "woe is me" attitude and Light's "Kill ALL the things!"?

Mmm, Nisekoi is pretty good but it's a harem, not sure if you'd like that or not. The characters are pretty cool though and it's not sad at all. Pretty funny actually. I would recommend a lot of things in my signature to you but most of them have a lot of sad moments (tokyo ghoul, fate/stay night etc.). Fairy tail is another good one, it's a shounen but it's pretty damn long. Has over like 300 episodes now and it's still continuing.

I would recommend Nisekoi if you're alright with a harem, Fairy tail if you want a good shounen. It's based on comradery, friendship, and shit like that. Another good one that isn't sad I believe is blue exorcist? Haven't seen it yet but my friends told me it was really good.

Anyway, most of my favorite animes are in my signature. I don't like harems that much, Nisekoi was my first and probably my last. I would say consider some sad or tragic ones, they tend to have some of the best character development.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    I loved Akami ga Kill, too! Mostly how the main character wasn't a whiny little bitch...seriously. I hate that. You can't have an action series where the main character is afraid to fight or kill. Hell, to my knowledge, Naruto only ever got one kill. Anyone know an anime with a similar protagonist, someone between Shinji's "woe is me" attitude and Light's "Kill ALL the things!"?
    Akame ga kill was pretty sad though. Hit me with the feels that's for sure. Not going to spoil anything on here of course but I assume you know what I mean.
    Last edited by Taeldorian; 2015-11-12 at 02:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Am looking something similar to SoA and Akame ga kill!. Anything good with decent story to recommend? Generally anything in that category would do.

Here's my Anime list: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/kohuke . I have some yet to watch, but none really hold interest based on the story synopses at present moment.
    Either you didn't rate the ones you completed or you have it so no one can see your ratings that would be helpful. Depending on what you liked in those 2 shows the action the story or what I could make recommendations.

Since I am guessing on what you liked about them SAO is about gaming in general and adventure so I would say Log Horizon it has 2 seasons right now. LH is similar to SAO as in the fact that the main people are players of a dying MMO who on the day the final expansion is dropped find themselves in the game world where NPCs have individuals backstories and interact like people. They still have game like abilities but they find they now can do things as if it were the real world.

Accel World is another one that is often recommend for SAO fans it is another full dive game story where players battle each other and evolve gaining unique abilities. However I will warn you the main character is a real annoying wimp most of the time.

Guilty Crown is another the story is deep and once you reach the midpoint kinda goes in a direction that is way different that it starts out as.

Finally Btooom! It becomes a game of life and death based on a popular team based strategy game. People of differing backgrounds find themselves on a plane being dropped off on a deserted island where they must kill other players to leave the island. As the story progresses we find out that each person on the island has been nominated to participate by people from their dark pasts.

These should give you something to look into at least let us know your likes/dislikes in your next request and it should make things easier.

Definitely Tokyo ghoul. It's about a teenager (looks kind of young though but he's around 17-18) who goes out on a date with a crush/friend and she attempts to eat him (ghouls eat humans, human food tastes like shit to them, literally). You can check out what happens after, but all of this and some more happen within the first episode. It's really good in my opinion, both s1 and s2. I described this in a really crappy way, but it's definitely in my top 3.

It's not your normal shounen either, it's a bit different and definitely tragic. I was looking for something like attack on Titan and my friend recommended Tokyo ghoul, (hence why both of them are in my sig), we watched it together and I absolutely loved it.
    Reasons: Amazing character development, good story line, amazing side characters. Try the first episode out and see if you like it. Ghouls remind me of Titans from AOT, eating humans, (some for fun and some for survival).

On a side note, first season has one of the most popular and definitely one of the best opening songs in an anime. Not sure if you care for this or not but it is so damn good. Unravel is the name of it.
    Last edited by Taeldorian; 2015-11-13 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taeldorian View Post
    Definitely Tokyo ghoul. It's about a teenager (looks kind of young though but he's around 17-18) who goes out on a date with a crush/friend and she attempts to eat him (ghouls eat humans, human food tastes like shit to them, literally). You can check out what happens after, but all of this and some more happen within the first episode. It's really good in my opinion, both s1 and s2. I described this in a really crappy way, but it's definitely in my top 3.

It's not your normal shounen either, it's a bit different and definitely tragic. I was looking for something like attack on Titan and my friend recommended Tokyo ghoul, (hence why both of them are in my sig), we watched it together and I absolutely loved it.
    Reasons: Amazing character development, good story line, amazing side characters. Try the first episode out and see if you like it. Ghouls remind me of Titans from AOT, eating humans, (some for fun and some for survival).

On a side note, first season has one of the most popular and definitely one of the best opening songs in an anime. Not sure if you care for this or not but it is so damn good. Unravel is the name of it.
    I'm guessing you only recently got into anime, just judging by what is generally considered a fairly average show being described by you as amazing, reminds me of things like Elfen Lied being seen as amazing back when i first got into anime(And it was one of my favorites at that time too). Nothing wrong with enjoying it though, it's not a terrible show either, it's mostly season 2 that ruins it, and i have heard that the manga is quite decent.

That said, that opening song can definitely not be described as one of the most popular or best opening songs in anime, that's quite an insult to all the great openings that exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't rate my watched anime, most I like, there are only few exceptions like Chaos Dragon: Sekiryuu Senki which is meh, but I will complete watching it anyway.
    I am generally easy to please in certain genres, but my bad in leaving out that horror (really cannot stand it) and the "girly" & "school" theme is not really my liking.

I have watched Accel world was bit meh, but got me interested in that type of anime. Btooom! I've also watched.

I will see after Chaos Dragon what's the Tokyo ghoul about, if it's similar to AoT I will have to watch several episodes to get the feel of it , at first hated AoT but in the end wanted more of it.

I added few of the suggestion to the anime list of mine.
    Last edited by Sonnillon; 2015-11-13 at 06:55 AM.

Deleted
    Looking for a Slice of life/drama/comedy anime.

Something like Hanasaku Iroha, Golden Time etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerdoz View Post

As for something like Hanasuka, you could try out Shirobako and Nagi no Asukara, both by the same studio and as such quite visually impressive, with Shirobako being about an anime studio and very much a slice of life show. Nagi is more towards the drama side, but also a very good watch, about a group of kids from a village where they can breath and live under water, who starts going to school on land. It's more leaning towards drama/romance, but one of my personal favorites.

As for Golden time, it's a show i still haven't gotten around to watch, but the author's previous show, Toradora, is a show i enjoyed a lot as well, so if you haven't watched that you could check it out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleckens View Post
    As for something like Hanasuka, you could try out Shirobako and Nagi no Asukara, both by the same studio and as such quite visually impressive, with Shirobako being about an anime studio and very much a slice of life show. Nagi is more towards the drama side, but also a very good watch, about a group of kids from a village where they can breath and live under water, who starts going to school on land. It's more leaning towards drama/romance, but one of my personal favorites.

As for Golden time, it's a show i still haven't gotten around to watch, but the author's previous show, Toradora, is a show i enjoyed a lot as well, so if you haven't watched that you could check it out.
    Thanks alot! I will check them out

I'm guessing you only recently got into anime, just judging by what is generally considered a fairly average show being described by you as amazing, reminds me of things like Elfen Lied being seen as amazing back when i first got into anime(And it was one of my favorites at that time too). Nothing wrong with enjoying it though, it's not a terrible show either, it's mostly season 2 that ruins it, and i have heard that the manga is quite decent.

That said, that opening song can definitely not be described as one of the most popular or best opening songs in anime, that's quite an insult to all the great openings that exist.
    Mmm sorry you're right about that last part. I don't know about an insult, but it was definitely really opinion based.

As for recently getting into anime, it's only been about a year and a half since I started but Ive seen a lot since then. I consider Tokyo ghoul to be one of the best in terms of the sad/tragic area. Psychopass was also a good one but it was more psychological then it was sad. Akame Ga kill was another that was pretty tragic but I'm pretty sure the person I replied to said he/she saw it already. Most of my favorite animes are somewhat the overrated ones (bleach, Tokyo ghoul) but I enjoy others such as fate/stay night:UBW which was amazing and has a reeeeeally good art design. I've probably missed some good ones, but I consider Tokyo ghoul amazing yeah. Whether I think it's good or you think its bad are both opinions though so we can't judge based on that. I'm not the only one that likes it and you aren't the only one that doesn't.

Tokyo ghoul also wasn't the first I watched, sword art online was. Attack on Titan right after, then a bunch of others and only recently did I finish s2 of Tokyo ghoul and start reading Re. I disliked the ending to season 2 because of how it was portrayed, but everything else was really good. Fate/stay night:UBW though is still one of my top favorites.
    Last edited by Taeldorian; 2015-11-14 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Taeldorian View Post
    Mmm sorry you're right about that last part. I don't know about an insult, but it was definitely really opinion based.

As for recently getting into anime, it's only been about a year and a half since I started but Ive seen a lot since then. I consider Tokyo ghoul to be one of the best in terms of the sad/tragic area. Psychopass was also a good one but it was more psychological then it was sad. Akame Ga kill was another that was pretty tragic but I'm pretty sure the person I replied to said he/she saw it already. Most of my favorite animes are somewhat the overrated ones (bleach, Tokyo ghoul) but I enjoy others such as fate/stay night:UBW which was amazing and has a reeeeeally good art design. I've probably missed some good ones, but I consider Tokyo ghoul amazing yeah. Whether I think it's good or you think its bad are both opinions though so we can't judge based on that. I'm not the only one that likes it and you aren't the only one that doesn't.

Tokyo ghoul also wasn't the first I watched, sword art online was. Attack on Titan right after, then a bunch of others and only recently did I finish s2 of Tokyo ghoul and start reading Re. I disliked the ending to season 2 because of how it was portrayed, but everything else was really good. Fate/stay night:UBW though is still one of my top favorites.
    Don't worry i was mostly joking about the last part about it being an insult, although it's true that there's so many better openings.

But yeah nothing wrong with having only gotten into anime recently, if anything I'm kinda jealous, I would love to be able to watch a lot of shows for the first time again. I've only watched around 350 shows so there should still be plenty of enjoyable shows for me to watch, but it's definitely not quite as easy to find them anymore. Only positive thing i guess is that it's probably easier for me to watch older shows than someone who's only used to recent shows that are all in 720/1080p, as it seems like most of the shows you've watched have been the very much high budget shows like attack on titan and fate(and actually since you watched UBW, did you also watch fate/zero?).

My point was however that it's likely that once you've watched a lot more shows you might not think of the first shows you watched as quite as amazing anymore, although nostalgia will probably have an effect, like how things like Elfen lied are for me. If i went back and rewatched it I would probably still enjoy it, but i would notice it's flaws much more than when i watched it the first time, having just gotten into anime.

Don't worry i was mostly joking about the last part about it being an insult, although it's true that there's so many better openings.

But yeah nothing wrong with having only gotten into anime recently, if anything I'm kinda jealous, I would love to be able to watch a lot of shows for the first time again. I've only watched around 350 shows so there should still be plenty of enjoyable shows for me to watch, but it's definitely not quite as easy to find them anymore. Only positive thing i guess is that it's probably easier for me to watch older shows than someone who's only used to recent shows that are all in 720/1080p, as it seems like most of the shows you've watched have been the very much high budget shows like attack on titan and fate(and actually since you watched UBW, did you also watch fate/zero?).

My point was however that it's likely that once you've watched a lot more shows you might not think of the first shows you watched as quite as amazing anymore, although nostalgia will probably have an effect, like how things like Elfen lied are for me. If i went back and rewatched it I would probably still enjoy it, but i would notice it's flaws much more than when i watched it the first time, having just gotten into anime.
    That's how it normally is I would think. Like my first anime was sword art online, and I thought it was amazing (only because it was my first), but when I went back to try to watch it again, I was pointing out a lot of flaws that actually made it boring for me to watch. Elfen Lied is on my list, has a lot of head chopping stuff which looked interesting lol. I watch everything with my friend at night over skype so we both pick what we wanna watch. Currently watching bleach and (rewatching fate/stay night:ubw for him), then after, it'll probably be still bleach with psychopass. We always watch 1 really long show and then watch a bunch of smaller ones so we don't get bored with the main one. It's actually really fun.

And yeah, I saw fate/zero. After seeing it I realized how the guy in the end that said something to shirou was actually one of the dudes from the war right before. (don't worry that isn't a spoiler.)Was actually pretty cool. I still have a looooot of watching to do, and Im not really particular on art style, so I could watch older shit without a problem most likely. Only art style that has actually blown me away was fate/stay night: UBW, it was absolutely insane. I still have yet to find another one with similar art to that one. Either way, still have a lot of watching to do, my friend has been watching since he was like 6, so he usually introduces me to older ones, along with newer ones.
    Last edited by Taeldorian; 2015-11-14 at 05:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerdoz View Post

Silver spoon definitely fits it's a really good show about a kid who has busted his ass prioritizing his grades to win his fathers approval and during the entrance exams to high school has a meltdown and decides to go to an agriculture high school as far from his family as possible. He meets new people (including a girl he falls in love with) and learns a lot about life he didn't know anything about before. Written by the creator of Fullmetal Alchemist as well.

Pet girl of Sakurasou also amazingly good show where the main character is forced to move into the delinquent dorm on campus because he takes in stray cats. He meets a student who is a famous artist yet has no personal connections with others. As they interact she learns new feelings and such.

Deleted
    It's been a while and I watched quite a lot.
    I liked Black Lagoon a lot, although it was episodic without a continuous story and thus without an end.
    But what I liked the most was Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei / The irregular at magic high school.
    For me it's almost perfect and I really enjoyed it. Sure the story progression (in the Light Novels) is quite slow, but it's a successful series and it's (unfortunately) natural for the author to sqeeze as much money out of it as possible.
    I keep watching new stuff, hoping to find something similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    I read it and for the most part stick with the anime cause it gets really weird, you kinda get into the weirdness during the anime but it gets out there. Like once you are done with the anime if you want to know what happens in the books I can give you a rundown.
    Needed something to read during work, and found i had the LNs of Demon King Deimos for my Kindle on my PC. I remembered something about the stuff being weird, but I decided to give it a try but damn, your were right. It felt like the author became a drug addict while writing the last few volumes.

I recently finished both Assassinastion Classroom and Overlord, and i found both to be very good. Are there any other such anime you guys can recommend? More stuff with Action & Super Powers is pretty much what i'm looking for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SkagenRora View Post
    I recently finished both Assassinastion Classroom and Overlord, and i found both to be very good. Are there any other such anime you guys can recommend? More stuff with Action & Super Powers is pretty much what i'm looking for.
    One Punch Man, My Hero Acadamia, Bungou Stray Dogs and Parasyte -Maxim-.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SkagenRora View Post
    I just finished Hunter X Hunter recently, and I would recommend that. Its your average childish shounen on the surface, but it really does its own thing. The main characters often lose and learn, death is a possibility for everyone, and the action is pretty with some creative abilities thrown in. Hell, I think the protagonist has a higher kill count than Naruto and Goku combined, and his allies definitely don't stay away from bloodshed. It's just under 200 episodes long IIRC, good enough to last you awhile without a lifetime commitment like Naruto or One Piece.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    I just finished Hunter X Hunter recently, and I would recommend that. Its your average childish shounen on the surface, but it really does its own thing. The main characters often lose and learn, death is a possibility for everyone, and the action is pretty with some creative abilities thrown in. Hell, I think the protagonist has a higher kill count than Naruto and Goku combined, and his allies definitely don't stay away from bloodshed. It's just under 200 episodes long IIRC, good enough to last you awhile without a lifetime commitment like Naruto or One Piece.
    Watch the 2011 version, fyi. It is safe to say it starts off as a childish shounen but it progressively grows dark. Gon(main character) is definitely not your typical shounen hero by the end of it.