Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Initial player population numbers

Hadn't seen a threat on this, so I apologize if there is one.

I was curious what you forumites thoughts were on what the initial population of GW2 was going to be. I have shown the game to a few friends (real life and gaming) and pretty much EVERYONE that has seen the Guild Wars stuff has been sucked in, and is excited about the game. I personally know, easily 20ish people who will buy it, and potentially play it. But I havent heard much rumblings about just how BIG the game might be. Do you see initial subs in the 500k+ range? Million? Several millions? Do you guys also know many people who plan to switch or play in addition to another game? Do you see it as a slow burn picking up people steadily? Maybe the population exploding like crazy right at release?

Obviously we wont have an idea about sustained subs until closer to release and get a feel for long term viability, but this is mostly about initial purchase numbers.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would laugh in joy if their servers burst release day!

I've been showing my whole family and friends this game in hopes that they'll join in on the fun, whether they just like to PvP or if they would like a good sit-down PvE game. My hubby and I will be making a small guild, not sure on the name yet, but it'll be open to anyone who wants to join! As long as you're not "that guy" kind of attitude. :P

Wondering what to name it... Gotta throw some names around. Our original GW1 guild is <Silver Wolf Clan> and our guild on WoW was <Claws On Our Paws>. But now that we can play other races, we're just slightly baffled if we should adapt a new one or use one of the old ones.

Time to make a list!

EDIT: Not to be mean but, I hope this game doesn't have as many trolls or whiners as much as WoW. And even if we do, I hope ArenaNet ignores their chatter. Would be nice though if they had a "Customer Suggestion Box" so we could send in well written emails or real mails to them about the game.
    Last edited by Blufossa; 2011-10-14 at 07:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm guessing with the F2P aspect and the amount of hype and anticipation the game in generating we will probably see fairly full servers in the beginning. Would we really call them "subs" though since you're not paying anything after the box, so subscription numbers will mean nothing. No need to close your sub if you don't lose anything by keeping it open.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im thinking it will have a pretty good start, but as time goes and more people learn how super fun it is, it will grow exponentionally and become huge within the first 6 months

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grugmuc View Post
    I hope this game doesn't have as many trolls or whiners as much as WoW.
    I'm pretty sure we will have the same number of those in GW2, especially at the beginning when MANY WoW players will try to make a switch. The magnitude of whining on the forums will be immense - I'm pretty sure this game will be quite a shock for most of them. Forums will be flooded with topics:
    - guardian needs a buff, heals not strong enough
    - just delete earth atunement from elementalist, no dps and if I wanted a tank I would roll a warrior
    - warriors are broken, can't tank
    - when you will release raids? There is no end game.
    - fix agro
    - dungeons are too hard
    - dodge is OP remove it from PVP
    - can't target allies, fix this bug!!
    Etc, etc...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Creepjack View Post
    I'm pretty sure we will have the same number of those in GW2, especially at the beginning when MANY WoW players will try to make a switch. The magnitude of whining on the forums will be immense - I'm pretty sure this game will be quite a shock for most of them. Forums will be flooded with topics:
    - just delete earth atunement from elementalist, no dps and if I wanted a tank I would roll a warrior
    - fix agro
    - dungeons are too hard
    Etc, etc...
    Lol, I can actually really see this happening. I will be sad though if some players from another game will try to bash GW2, without any knowledge about it, to make the game they play more succesful.

How SW:TOR does in the first two months is going to be a great measure of what the initial population will look like for GW2. I'm sure we'll see an absolutely massive explosion of the community in both GW2 and SW:TOR in the first week beyond what other MMOs have experienced. I'm also fairly confident that after the initial burst, the number of sustained box sales for GW2 will easily outpace SW:TOR thanks to being buy to play.

PS: why are we even mentioning sub numbers for a game without a sub?

- fix agro
    - dungeons are too hard
    Etc, etc...
    ROFL

Yeah, I can totally see that happening. However, if the trend in GW2 follows class balance issues in GW1, one class/weapon/utility set combo will get broken and everyone will reroll it to trivialize content; A-Net'll get wind of it, nerf the combo, someone will find a new one and start the cycle again. I think (nay, hope), though, that this vicious cycle will be put to rest as A-Net should have learned from the mistakes that led to Eles and Sins being the insane uber-farmers for the last five or so years, after they (almost) completely killed the Monks - both the 55s and the 600/Smites.
    I am Grôgnárd, the one and only!
    The Light and How to Swing It

SWTOR Referral Link - get free stuff!

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    - fix agro
    - dungeons are too hard
    Etc, etc...
    HAHA! This is almost a thread in itself. "Guess the whiners problems with GW2."
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by theredviola View Post
    HAHA! This is almost a thread in itself. "Guess the whiners problems with GW2."
    Start it. Now.
    I am Grôgnárd, the one and only!
    The Light and How to Swing It

SWTOR Referral Link - get free stuff!

- fix agro
    - dungeons are too hard
    Etc, etc...
    Rofl, you speak words of truth my friend!
    I can actually see that happening, it's sad but true.

5 of my guild wars mates, and 6 of my IRL mates are gonna play Guild Wars 2 from release, 12 (including myself)

Deleted
    Actually I truly believe servers will be completely full in first weeks, at least I really hope!

If players I'll decay, only time can tell, but if we sustain enough to do viable WvWvW fights and Dynamic Events during a lot of months, I'll be more than happy

---------- Post added 2011-10-14 at 05:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Reward View Post
    Rofl, you speak words of truth my friend!
    I can actually see that happening, it's sad but true.
    LOL me too! Most of the people won't research a lot about the game and they'll "leave" WoW or SWtoR, witch are very different in class and gameplay concepts, they'll think GW2 has a very weird playing style, and QQ will come lol

Etc, etc...
    Pretty sure you're going to be able to target allies, otherwise that would make trading kinda difficult. There are no ally targeted abilities, but you probably will be able to target your allies.

Quote Originally Posted by gravity00 View Post
    LOL me too! Most of the people won't research a lot about the game and they'll "leave" WoW or SWtoR, witch are very different in class and gameplay concepts, they'll think GW2 has a very weird playing style, and QQ will come lol
    I have a good example when we're on it.
    A friend of mine just found out about GW2 and have decided to play a Guardian because they looks like paladins in WoW (he plays a holy paladin), and what got me to see the similarity with what you said and him, is that he thinks that Guardian is completely like a Prot/holy paladin, so he believes that he is just going to stay in one place and heal like hell.
    I don't think he really understand how the playing style is going to be...
    Last edited by Reward; 2011-10-14 at 06:07 PM.

Deleted
    Since there's no sub fee loads of people are going to atleast try it out. I think the numbers are gonna sky rocket at release. And if they need a way to messure the players they can take number of active accounts. (Active within a month or so.)

- fix agro
    - dungeons are too hard
    Etc, etc...
    There's so much wrong in this I don't know where to start...

2. There's no such thing as a tank. It's good that Elementalists have a defencive state.
    3. Read above. This is not Vanilla Wow where only Warriors can tank.
    4. They said they don't want big player raids (Atleast on release) and want you to stick to 5 mans.
    5. The current aggro mechanics are just a placeholder.
    6. That's a good thing.
    7. Dodge is a nice mechanic wich makes combat more interactive.
    8. That's not a bug. They don't want healing to become wack-a-mole like in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    Since there's no sub fee loads of people are going to atleast try it out. I think the numbers are gonna sky rocket at release. And if they need a way to messure the players they can take number of active accounts. (Active within a month or so.)

There's so much wrong in this I don't know where to start...

2. There's no such thing as a tank. It's good that Elementalists have a defencive state.
    3. Read above. This is not Vanilla Wow where only Warriors can tank.
    4. They said they don't want big player raids (Atleast on release) and want you to stick to 5 mans.
    5. The current aggro mechanics are just a placeholder.
    6. That's a good thing.
    7. Dodge is a nice mechanic wich makes combat more interactive.
    8. That's not a bug. They don't want healing to become wack-a-mole like in WoW.
    Foot in mouth.

He was commenting on what would possibly be the complaints of people who know nothing about the game and are upset that it isn't the same type of game they are used to.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Foot in mouth.

He was commenting on what would possibly be the complaints of people who know nothing about the game and are upset that it isn't the same type of game they are used to.
    Oh.. Facepalm... Sorry!

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, I take back what I said earlier about wanting to see less whiners.

As stated in a different post: I would love to see them join, just so ArenaNet gets their money, then they can Q_Q and leave the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grugmuc View Post
    Actually, I take back what I said earlier about wanting to see less whiners.

As stated in a different post: I would love to see them join, just so ArenaNet gets their money, then they can Q_Q and leave the game.
    Hah. Win/win for us right? :P

I was just thinking about this the other day hence the topic. Obviously I wasn't meaning subs to the poster above. Just moreso, how many people are going to flood the servers on initial release. I think it will easily be a million people on launch day/week barring server instability. But I was curious what peoples personal ideas are, about friends/family/guilds who might be coming too. I would love to see this have several million peeps though.