Looking into buying an Ereader.

I don't see a need for a tablet because my laptop is better in most situations but I would like an ereader. Wouldn't take long to save money on books and I may read a bit more if I had one.

So the Nook and the Kindle look very similar. Which one should I get? The new kindle looks like it is pretty good and a bit cheaper then the current Nook. I kind of hate doing business with Amazon so I wouldn't mind the Nook.

I also looked into the color versions but it seems like you just get a color screen and a high cost.

Hi

also the battery life on the colour versions might be much less. Getting 2.5 months on my 'keyboard kindle' (as they are now called). Can't offer any advice on kindle vs nook (kindle was a gift) but I'm very happy with the reading experience.

Silh

Get a Kindle, you'll be happy.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Kindle 4 with ads starts at 79$ wich is really cheap. If you just want to read books - grab that and be happy. Otherwise Nook Touch is a solid buy, more features and Android wich can be hacked to enable standart apps, if you like to play with hardware.

P.s. Nook color has a TFT display so it's not a "e-reader".

Personally for reading books i would go for Kindle 4, it is lighter and more compact, wich matters on the go. Also page buttons seems to be a lot better on Kindle than on Nook, and for e-reader it is very important. ofcourse Nook has a touchscreen so you can just tap on it, but i considering how fragile e-ink screens are, i would prefer to not touch it at all.
    Last edited by anb; 2011-10-13 at 12:41 PM.

My sister has a Kindle and uses it enough I think for school and such; looks cool. The Kindle Fire isn't much more, I'd go that route if you have the cash.

Note: No one else read this as "Looking into buying an Eredar"? @_@...

Again, kindle fire is not a e-reader, same as Nook color it is a tablet without e-ink display.
    Last edited by anb; 2011-10-13 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anb View Post
    Again, kindle fire is not a e-reader, same as Nook color it is a tablet without e-ink display.
    That is actually why I didn't really want one. I could just read ebooks on my mac but the bright color screen is hard on the eyes. Everyone seems happy with e-ink displays.

Probably going to go with a kindle, just have to wait a bit for the new ones to be released.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you limit the definition of "eReader" to "tablets with e-ink displays". Your loss.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

15+ Year Old Account
    don't go with a color screen, it's the same as a tablet / PC and will be tiring to read off of. e-ink (black/white) is the only way to go if you want a true ereader

being said, i have no recommendation as to nook v kindle
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    don't go with a color screen, it's the same as a tablet / PC and will be tiring to read off of. e-ink (black/white) is the only way to go if you want a true ereader

being said, i have no recommendation as to nook v kindle
    To add to this, you don't want to get an "e-reader" that has more functionality other than reading (and built in dictionaries). Other stuff will just distract you, an E-Reader is for reading, not checking your email.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

When I first saw the thread title I thought it said "Looking into buying an Eredar". I wanted to know where you were going to purchase one!

On topic, I have a kindle, even though I hardly ever use it. The black and white screen makes reading very easy on the eyes. If you're on your computer a lot I would recommend the black / white as it gets tiring looking at a computer screen all day long and then going home to read more on what would essentially be a computer screen.

Deleted
    Read that as Eredar. I lol'd.

So you limit the definition of "eReader" to "tablets with e-ink displays". Your loss.
    yes i do and there is nothing wrong about it. On the other hand going by your logic my android smartphone is "e-reader" because i can read stuff on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    yes i do and there is nothing wrong about it. On the other hand going by your logic my android smartphone is "e-reader" because i can read stuff on it.
    Yes. That is one of its functions. In fact you will find B&N and Amazon clients for it in the app market. Are you saying you cant read stuff on it?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Yes. That is one of its functions. In fact you will find B&N and Amazon clients for it in the app market. Are you saying you cant read stuff on it?
    I'm not leaning towards one side or the other here, but... To classify a cell phone as an e-reader, even an evo with one of the larger cell phone screens, is pretty wack. Seeing as how you get 4 or so inches of screen with incredibly tiny text comparatively it is just not an option. Can you read stuff on it? Sure. Is it smart and good for your eyes? Probably not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ptimo View Post
    I'm not leaning towards one side or the other here, but... To classify a cell phone as an e-reader, even an evo with one of the larger cell phone screens, is pretty wack. Seeing as how you get 4 or so inches of screen with incredibly tiny text comparatively it is just not an option. Can you read stuff on it? Sure. Is it smart and good for your eyes? Probably not.
    Not saying its a GOOD eReader, but it is one none the less. Saying that the Kindle Fire isn't an eReader because its not eInk based is just silly. Its a preference, not a definition.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Not saying its a GOOD eReader, but it is one none the less. Saying that the Kindle Fire isn't an eReader because its not eInk based is just silly. Its a preference, not a definition.
    You like to argue semantics...we get it.

OT: If they ever offer a waterproof/underwater version of the e-readers I would be interested for poolside/bathtub/etc reading.

Edit: I understand there are cases but they look like glorified trashbags - I'm talking a single unit that is waterproof
    Last edited by Latitude; 2011-10-13 at 10:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Latitude View Post
    You like to argue semantics...we get it.
    Saying that the Kindle Fire is an eReader despite it being color is not semantics. Saying that it isn't because in your limited view only devices using eInk and of a specific size are eReaders is semantics.

-Kujako-

I've had the second generation Kindle for 2 years now. I am always interested in looking at my friends eReaders to see how they compare and I really think the Kindle is better.

I never have to hook it up to my computer to download books. I can delete books from the device, and Amazon saves them in my Kindle account if I want to put them back on my Kindle to reread. There are loads of free books, or books for cheap. New books that come out, that you can only get in Hardback, are half price on the Kindle. Some libraries are starting a Kindle borrow program. You can share your books with other friends that have Kindles, but I have yet to do that.

Kindles are so much cheaper now!! I wouldn't even mind having the one with the advertisements because the ads only show up on the hibernate screen and never interfere with your reading.