The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Nvidia 9800GTX+ SLi vs. single 560TI?

I'm planning on upgrading soon. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of dough (just bought a laptop) but I was looking for something under $300 that will outperform my current SLi 9800 GTX+ configuration. I realize my system would run a lot cooler having one card but I am also looking for something to outperform those two bad boys. It seems BF:3 doesn't support them, although BETA proved they can run just fine (although final release might just throw them completely out...). I ran BF:3 on medium settings across the board @ 30FPS or higher. Never noticed much lag so the cards appeared to handle it. Unfortunately I need a card that can work with an older power supply since the 12v rail isn't powerful enough for anything higher than the 560TI. I could go ahead and upgrade my psu but the price for a better psu as well as either the 570 or 580 puts me around $500. At that point, I might as well upgrade everything for about $1000. Anyways do you think the single 560TI will blow my dual 9800GTX+ configuration out of the water? It was one of the cheaper cards recommend as an upgrade to play BF:3. I also get about 45-60FPS on WoW minus shadows (I don't really see a point for shadows anyways in that game).

Also i'm upgrading because 9800GTX cannot support DX11. Not a big deal really, but still every little cookie helps!
    "Quit rolling your fat, greasy, cheetos grubbing fingers all over the keyboard!" - Random Burning Crusade Raider circa 2007
    "...tinkering with hardware...more or less electric LEGO for masochists." - Partial quote from Joel Johnson of Kotaku.com
    1/11/06 N/A Ten Day Guest Pass Expired = Vanilla Veteran Proof! (Haters still gonna hate)
    Never forget, that you were warned about the Mists of Pandaria. YOU were WARNED! (10/21/11)

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I used to have 9800 GTs... first a BFG Tech OC edition and then a Green Edition from PNY. I'll put it simple, 560 Ti, being able to support DX11 will net you higher FPS in all games pretty much, based on that alone, also it runs much cooler than those ever did.

I'd also like you to compare the fact that the 9800 GTX only has 128 stream processor cores when compared to the 560 Ti's 384 stream processor cores.... >_>

Also the 560 Ti has GDDR5.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thank-you DeltrusDisc, I wasn't even on the fence about it, but I needed that extra boost of support in favor of this upgrade. What's the ATI equivalent to the 560TI? Not that i'm abandoning Nvidia (I'm not worthy!). Equivalent performance wise, as well as price (Maybe 2 different cards?)
    "Quit rolling your fat, greasy, cheetos grubbing fingers all over the keyboard!" - Random Burning Crusade Raider circa 2007
    "...tinkering with hardware...more or less electric LEGO for masochists." - Partial quote from Joel Johnson of Kotaku.com
    1/11/06 N/A Ten Day Guest Pass Expired = Vanilla Veteran Proof! (Haters still gonna hate)
    Never forget, that you were warned about the Mists of Pandaria. YOU were WARNED! (10/21/11)

Something like a 6950 or 6970, ASUS, MSI et al produce overclocked/cooled versions of these cards too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Something like a 6950 or 6970, ASUS, MSI et al produce overclocked/cooled versions of these cards too.
    6950 = 560 Ti
    6970 = 570

Personally I find NVidia's cards' #s are less confusing. :P
    "A flower.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Thanks

Yeah i'll prolly still go with the 560TI since i've been using Nvidia ever since the MX440 (*shudder*). Yeah, looks like I might just see the next gen version of the ATI (Radeon) 7000VE since numbers are getting back up to that level. VE was the first ATI card to feature dual DVI output to separate monitors (Hence the box with the chrome twin headed dragon on it). I'll check prices on Newegg, but i'm sure they'll go down when i'm ready to spend!

10+ Year Old Account
    You'll love the 560 Ti! Get the Twin Frozr II edition from MSI and then OC it a bit with MSI Afterburner... it's a beast!
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    I used to have 9800 GTs... first a BFG Tech OC edition and then a Green Edition from PNY. I'll put it simple, 560 Ti, being able to support DX11 will net you higher FPS in all games pretty much, based on that alone, also it runs much cooler than those ever did.
    Not to mention the savings in power draw.
    red panda red panda red panda!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Not to mention the savings in power draw.
    I didn't know much back then.... I know the PNY was better... but holy shit. That is when I started learning about temps... that thing was literally ALWAYS in the 60s Celsius. Damned hot little shit!
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    I use to run a 9800 GT SLI and a 450 SLI. They both ranged around the single card performance of a 470 and sometimes pushing a 480 depending on the game. You would be better off just grabbing a 560 TI or 6950. If that is pushing your price range a 6870 nips at the FPS of a 560 TI as well and CX with 2 6870's is pretty nice.