Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Such hatred for laptop gamers!

Everywhere I turn (forum-wise) someone is bashing gaming on a laptop. True its not as powerful but that's not the point! I don't want to be caught dead carrying a ghetto lan-box from place to place when a laptop is a perfect mobile platform. True it costs an arm and a leg just to get a decently performing gaming laptop, so much so that you could almost buy the top of the line computer. But what do you do when you already have the top of the line behemoth gaming machine and want to take it places? Lan straps? No thanks. I have the M18x laptop from Alienware. It runs my games just fine and you can hate all you want. Unfortunately laptop gaming is the future, and your just a bunch of old-timers who refuse to get with the program! (I'm kidding really, I love you guys, even tho in a race with you hold ur desktop and me my laptop I would clearly win)

But seriously, can't we all just get along? Laptop gaming has its place (Hotels gaming @ Blizzcon anyone?) and so does desktop gaming (grandma's basement?). Each one has their strengths and weaknesses. Each person has their reasons for getting one, the other, or both. The point is the same: We want to game on the best possible system for our situation. I would never recommend that a newbie to gaming first play on a laptop. I recommend laptops after you buy that initial desktop powerhouse. IMHO its much easier to troubleshoot hardware/software issues with a desktop than a laptop! Laptop upgrades have slowly but surely become more advanced and some systems can have their CPU/GPU exchanged for the next best option. Desktops provide more flexibility in upgrades while laptops provide a compact solution for on the go. With better and better gaming laptops coming out on the market in the last 5 years, I can see laptop gaming becoming more prevalent in the future as the desired gaming platform although desktops will always have their place!
    "Quit rolling your fat, greasy, cheetos grubbing fingers all over the keyboard!" - Random Burning Crusade Raider circa 2007
    "...tinkering with hardware...more or less electric LEGO for masochists." - Partial quote from Joel Johnson of Kotaku.com
    1/11/06 N/A Ten Day Guest Pass Expired = Vanilla Veteran Proof! (Haters still gonna hate)
    Never forget, that you were warned about the Mists of Pandaria. YOU were WARNED! (10/21/11)

my new asus g74 arrives on monday

i7 2920 says hi.

laptop gamers rock and can easily outstrip most desktop players for performance

noone should shun laptop gamers

Deleted
    But.. Now you're hating on desktop gamers for being imobile!

Quote Originally Posted by reverendball View Post
    laptop gamers rock and can easily outstrip most desktop players for performance
    You are not able to find one example where a laptop would outperform a desktop if there's exactly same amount of money put into CPU, GPU, RAM and HDD. That is the simple truth why laptops are bad for gaming no matter how hard you try to disbelieve the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by reverendball View Post
    i7 2920 says hi.
    See exhibit 1... i7-2920XM has an MSRP of $1096. If you compare datasheets i7-2920XM is roughly the same as i7-2600K (MSRP $317) except 900MHz slower to reduce the TDP to laptop levels. That laptop CPU is 200% more expensive than the desktop counterpart and still bit slower.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    the simple truth why laptops are bad for gaming no matter how hard you try to disbelieve the truth.
    not optimal =/= bad

just because its not the hectic BiS bleeding edge desktop setup, doesnt mean it cant still be awesome and run every game on max settings.

This is such a stupid argument from both sides. What does your level of graphics and your mobility (or lack of) have to do with how well you play the game?
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Deleted
    Personally I think most people who bash gaming on a Laptop is because they think that all Laptop-gamers use they touchpad to play. That's certainly not true.

It does make a huge difference in terms of cost/performance in buying a Laptop and a Desktop Computer to play games but that's an issue for who is spending the money.
    Personally I love both, but since RL makes me change locations quite often, I rather have a Laptop, which can run most games on Max Settings. Maybe I can't play EVERY single game on Max Settings, but for sure I play all of them - so far released - on High with steady FPS and a smooth performance.

The only thing I dislike on using a Laptop for gaming is the overheating, but that can be easily fixed with a cooling platform for something as cheap as 20€.

As far as I've seen, neither my performance or enjoyment has diminished while playing in a Laptop, so, I also don't see the reason for the "hate".

It's not a gaminglaptop if lacks sufficient cooling and components to actually run games no-sweat for 4+ hours without being too hot to touch.
    It's not a laptop if it would crush your thighs should you choose to sit like that. It's not mobile if it weighs 2.5kg+.

And personally, I find the feel of gaming on a laptop absolutely dreadful. No immersivenes, no sound quality, a tiny screen, most often a sub-standard resolution.

I love notebooks, I really do. But not for gaming. I cannot justify them nor the need for existence.

Hating on them? No. Ridiculing? Yes.
    Notebook-gaming being the future? Possibly in a console-ridden world, where Llanos are almost more powerful than a console, and Llanos being accesible on notebooks. In a world where PC-gaming is in focus, notebook-gaming is to be left in the dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    This is such a stupid argument from both sides. What does your level of graphics and your mobility (or lack of) have to do with how well you play the game?
    well... level of graphics can matter a great deal when playing FPS games... if you ever played counter-strike you'd remember the guys with top performing computers at max graphiocs being able to see much better through smoke than others (and ofcus with a slightly different cfg settings :3)

10+ Year Old Account
    never had any problems with my gaming laptop, it doesn't blitz brand new games, but it is 2 years old so that's not to be expected, but it can runt he games i play on it fine, sitting now with firefox open, vuze, media player and some background shit, while running 60-100 fps in wow (1600x900, full ultra except shadows)

laptops are convenient, if i'm going to my sisters for the day or whatever, take the laptop, it's not heavy, good keyboard and screen (has it's own number pad, woo, and 17 inch screen), but if i'm at home (assuming it's working), i'd obviously much prefer to play on my pc

never really understood why having one/liking one meant disliking the other, sure, form opinions after having tried them out, but people disliking on one because they have the other, and for no other reason seems a little silly

my performance in games on diminishes while i'm getting used to a new keyboard (i use the same mouse on both computer and laptop)

There's no real hate for laptop gamers.
    There's a strong bias against gaming laptops.

Don't confuse the two. You look silly when you do.

And the bias is completely sensible.
    1. Bang for buck in a laptop is horrible.
    2. Thermal design is by far and large horrible.
    3. Mobility is limited due to poor battery life.
    4. Monitors are far too small for quality games.
    5. Keyboards tend to be frail and go weird.
    6. Track-pad is always in the way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    There's no real hate for laptop gamers.
    There's a strong bias against gaming laptops.

Don't confuse the two. You look silly when you do.

And the bias is completely sensible.
    1. Bang for buck in a laptop is horrible.
    2. Thermal design is by far and large horrible.
    3. Mobility is limited due to poor battery life.
    4. Monitors are far too small for quality games.
    5. Keyboards tend to be frail and go weird.
    6. Track-pad is always in the way.
    mine mustn't be a gaming laptop then

1. 700 quid for it 2 years ago and it still holds up well today
    2. possible, i tend to use mine on a desk, but it's never overheated to the point of cutting out
    3. mobility comes in various forms, i don't use the battery, but i can take it to my sisters etc so it is mobile
    4. 17 inch is by no means small/too small for gaming
    5. keyboard is fine, no problems, and has a sexy numberpad too, and i like the clickyness of laptop keyboards
    6. my touchpad isn't in the way and if i'm not gaming, but lying in bed watching movies/video files etc can actually be quite useful

mine must just be a good laptop capable of running games, as opposed to a gaming laptop, which i assume your idea of is an over the top expensive latop specifically targetting gamers and totally hyped up or something?

Deleted
    The product don't make the gamer.

My computer has cost me about $700 in total since 2007, and I'm a damn good gamer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    mine mustn't be a gaming laptop then

1. 700 quid for it 2 years ago and it still holds up well today
    2. possible, i tend to use mine on a desk, but it's never overheated to the point of cutting out
    3. mobility comes in various forms, i don't use the battery, but i can take it to my sisters etc so it is mobile
    4. 17 inch is by no means small/too small for gaming
    5. keyboard is fine, no problems, and has a sexy numberpad too, and i like the clickyness of laptop keyboards
    6. my touchpad isn't in the way and if i'm not gaming, but lying in bed watching movies/video files etc can actually be quite useful

mine must just be a good laptop capable of running games, as opposed to a gaming laptop, which i assume your idea of is an over the top expensive latop specifically targetting gamers and totally hyped up or something?
    1. Define well. You can start the game and make it playable? A desktop for the same price that long ago is likely to have aged better.
    2. I doubt your components are feeling the same way.
    3. Can you carry it around all day? Because I can move my desktop around as well.
    4. No, it's far too small for gaming, and far too large for a notebook.
    5. Numpad is standard on notebooks >15". No laptop keyboard is comfortable to write on for large periods of time. Even my ASUS N43SN annoys me after a while. They are also less durable.
    6. Agreed. You can disable touchpad, and it's more comfortable to use newer-than-win7 touchpads for surfing than a mouse. The less you use a mouse for maneuvering, the better and more comfortable experience.

So if you claim you don't have a gaming-laptop, what are you even arguing? You have a notebook usable for games. Alright. But can you honestly claim that notebook-gaming is better? Or what?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    4. No, it's far too small for gaming, and far too large for a notebook.
    Says who?

I can easily play games on a 17 inch screen.

I'm guessing the problem here isn't with the product, it's with you. YOU cannot play games on a 17 inch screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    if they do it for mobility but most really don't.
    it is for mobility purposes

having hosted a 100+ player LAN on a monthly basis since '05, the convenience of being able to carry ur lappy from room to room as desired is gg.

having to haul in humungous beast tower of doom is just not worth the effort

and still running everything on max settings and at the same framerate....... no argument required

yes ur epeen/tower is bigger than mine, but yes i just lolstomped you anyway, then carried my computer to the next room to pwn someone else in a similar fashion
    Last edited by reverendball; 2011-10-14 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixuzcc View Post
    Says who?

I can easily play games on a 17 inch screen.

I'm guessing the problem here isn't with the product, it's with you. YOU cannot play games on a 17 inch screen.
    No. It isn't. I'm playing games on my 14" now. How is that enjoyable? You clearly haven't experienced anything else.

The problems are within the product.

I'm sorry if I don't like being trapped to one room of my house and I like having the mobility to move around and not be stuck to a giant tower.

Didn't know that made me a bad gamer.

So if you claim you don't have a gaming-laptop, what are you even arguing? You have a notebook usable for games. Alright. But can you honestly claim that notebook-gaming is better? Or what?
    I don't really think anyone in this thread is arguing that notebook gaming is better than an actual desktop. We're arguing that it isn't lesser, though.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    No. It isn't. I'm playing games on my 14" now. How is that enjoyable? You clearly haven't experienced anything else.

The problems are within the product.
    Obviously not, since some people can play games perfectly fine using "small" screens, even though your example is a little extreme.

And "enjoyable" is a subjective opinion. You may not enjoy playing on a 17inch screen, but some people might.

I for one don't like playing on a 24 inch screen, or larger, because it's just too damn large.

10+ Year Old Account
    i posted higher up, i run wow on ultra at 60+ fps (shadows off) archying right now in uldum, run starcraft 2 (not sure the settings, not played for a while, looking nice and smooth, call of duty black ops too), no idea how the components feel, but, yes, i can carry it around all day, it fits right snug into my backpack, with the powerpack, mouse/pad and my headset, i used to walk 6 miles a day with it on my back, 17 inch is a nice size, for me anyway, sure, a 23 inch screen is nice, but no way is 17 inch too small, never had a previous laptop with a number pad on, this laptop is normally switched on and in constant use for 8-14 hours a day, i don't do any massive typing, constant guild chat, forums, gameplay, emails, nothing major, but it's comfortable for me

as for the last statement, it may have been lost in translation, or partly misunderstood as you may not have read my first post, but i said that the system basically is what you need of it, notebook gaming is a perfectly viable option if you cannot have a desktop for whatever reasons, unlike some people, i'm not blindly fighting for or against either laptops or desktops, i run both, i game on both and have never had any problems with either, i use one or the other depending on the situation, i'm fighting for notebook gaming as acceptable, not fighting for notebook gaming as better and a replacement for desktop gaming

things ain't black and white, it's not as simple as saying "sure, notebook gaming is fine" and you reading between the lines as "notebook gaming is better than desktop gaming, desktops suck"

which it appears is pretty much what the OP is saying, too many people are cut and dry on the situation