Page 1 of 101
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

"Fix my DPS" - Log analyzes and general help *READ OP FIRST*

(credit to gherkin on the warlock forum for the idea ^^)

Purpose of this thread:

- To assist people who have made a considered effort into their damage yet are struggling to meet their expected numbers. If you have exhausted other avenues and don't know what to do for further improvement this is the thread for you.
    - To allow experienced players to share their oozing nuggets of wisdom with those eager to learn. Everyone who has a solution to share is welcome to contribute.
    - To discuss alternate approaches to ability usage or gearing, just make sure you have good sources of information before making claims.

Before Posting:

Make sure you've read the relevant sticky guide (Fury, Arms, Prot) and understand the basics of preparing your spec. This thread isn't for teaching you how to gem, glyph, enchant correctly or of the basics of stat priority and rotation usage.

Don't just throw up links to your armory or logs and expect somebody to dig through it. Explain what you're not satisfied with, what you want to become better at and/or tell us when you think you're lacking.

What to Post:

- Your spec, general gear level, an armory-link and expectations in raids. Don't have people trawl armorys and parses for minor details when they can be given up front.
    - Your problem in as much detail as is possible. Is it specific to an individual boss? in particular phases or situations? (AoE/execute/openers/movement/etc) or just a general patchwerk style low dps problem? The more detail you can give the more helpful answers we can provide.
    - Any resources you have which can detail the problem are useful. World of Logs parses are especially helpful, but in the worst case other types of information like prints of Recount could suffice. To create World of Logs parses, simply type /combatlog into your chat ingame. Your combatlog will then be saved as a .txt in your WoW > Logs folder. Once leave combat or finish raiding for the day you can upload that log to your account on World of Logs.

What Not to Post:

- A question thats blatantly answered in your specs stickied guide.
    - Stealth bragging damage logs.
    - "How to reforge" questions. Use www.askmrrobot.com instead
    - "Is Gear A > Gear B?" queries those are best simulated using Simcraft on your own character to find a personal solution. Situational gearing such as trinkets for specific bosses or the merits of tier bonuses are fine to ask.

SimulationCraft

What is SimulationCraft?

SimulationCraft is a tool to explore combat mechanics in World of Warcraft. It's a tool which simulates in-game combat based on variables you've set, like class, spec, gear, buffs/debuffs, ability prioritization, encounter type, fight length etc, then provides you with a breakdown of statistics similar to a World of Logs parse. SimulationCraft simulates combat tens of thousands of times to create as accurate avarages as possible.

It's most commonly used to find personal stat weights, find or test optimal ability prioritizations, test different gear approaches, or simply confirm that you're doing a good job at the combat dummy.

Simple 7-Step Guide to Using SimulationCraft
    1. Download from http://code.google.com/p/simulationcraft/
    2. Run the program and click the Options-tab. Specify the specifics of the simulation you want to do and how many times to simulate it.
    3. Scroll through the Buff/Debuff panes selecting the relevant spells (realistically you won't be getting Dark intent for example)
    4. Scroll through Scaling/Plot panes selecting all relevant Warrior stats (or just select everything). Note that simulating scaling for stat weights takes a lot of time and if you're not interested in finding your stat weights you should uncheck everything here
    5. Click Import, either pasting your armory link into the textbox at the bottom of the software or selecting the chardev pane and pasting the link for that under that heading
    6. Once imported click simulate and wait patiently
    7. This should show stat weights and an overall dps estimation. Through using altered chardev profiles you can estimate the potential benefit/loss from any specific gear change

2012-01-28 update: More aggressive title (because we're Warriors), emphasized the intent of the thread with modifications to the first paragraphs. ~Mest
    Last edited by mmoc0a04ed3db8; 2012-01-28 at 02:26 PM.

Deleted
    Nice random colors, Aurora!

So yeah. Please use this thread to get suggestions for how to improve your performance, given you can provide sufficient information for others to be able to analyze your game play well.

It's ok to use it for quick questions regarding something, but it's most often to be preferred if you use the stickied spec specific threads instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mest View Post
    Nice random colors, Aurora!
    This!

Bring on the Fix My DPS questions! I am boreds today

Classic Herod: Sinnermighty - Blood Legion (Unretired)

Finally. Getting tired of seeing the "My dps sucks halp plx" threads.

Ovenmitt approved

Hurray! A sticky attempting to address the issues behind most of the threads on this forum has finally been created. <3

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Kauai/advanced

I logged out in Fury spec, but I'm worried about my Prot dps. My gear in Prot is about 370 (I can list all the gear I have if you want me to). I've recently switched to tanking and have read the guidelines thread where switching to battle stance is mentioned. Can someone go over what I should be doing when off-tanking?

Last night was my first time trying N Ragnaros on my warrior (was previously using paladin) and I was getting between 6-9k dps. Since the DK takes Rag first, I would go into Battle Stance and use Recklessness and Blood Fury since I'm not being hit right away. But I don't know what other abilities I can use to increase my dps. Thanks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauai View Post

I logged out in Fury spec, but I'm worried about my Prot dps. My gear in Prot is about 370 (I can list all the gear I have if you want me to). I've recently switched to tanking and have read the guidelines thread where switching to battle stance is mentioned. Can someone go over what I should be doing when off-tanking?

Last night was my first time trying N Ragnaros on my warrior (was previously using paladin) and I was getting between 6-9k dps. Since the DK takes Rag first, I would go into Battle Stance and use Recklessness and Blood Fury since I'm not being hit right away. But I don't know what other abilities I can use to increase my dps. Thanks.
    I wouldn't really care much about your prot dps, 6-9k seems acceptable in 10man, especially seeing as you probably don't have all the melee buffs (assuming this) and noone is even near Hit and Exp caps. Just focus on getting your survivability to perfection and stun like a boss in transitions

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauai View Post

Switching to Battle or Berserker Stance when not in aggro can be a good idea in certain scenarios. There's really nothing more to it than keep up your regular rotation but in another stance. What's interesting is the different abilities you get access to in different stances. Problem is, there's no actual data on this concept. I'm going to try a few different approaches in the coming weeks and I'll report my progress in the guidelines and FAQ thread.

A given ability to use is Shattering Throw in Battle Stance, Overpower in Battle Stance may certainly also be worthwhile. Then there's Colossus Smash and Execute, available in both stances.

What I have done previously was to go to Battle Stance, cast Shattering Throw as my first priority filler then use Colossus Smash as a second priority filler and Execute as a third priority filler. Recently I began going to Battle for ST then Zerker for CS, Executes and the additional 5% damage. I do not, however, know if using these abilities as fillers is the optimal thing to do. Perhaps it's worth using instead of a second Devastate, perhaps it's worth using even over a Shield Slam. Perhaps you should stay in Battle Stance for Overpowers, although that may be dependant on if you're able to position yourself behind the boss instead.

Long story short:
    for now, go to either of the offensive stances, cast Shattering Throw asap, then use CS/Execute as fillers with priority over the regular SW/Rend. That's a guaranteed gain of DPS, but what I'm saying is another approach may be even better.

If you're up for it, feel free to /combatlog your raids and upload the results to World of Logs, it's likely you'll help us find ways to improve the Protection rotation.

Do remember, however, that you lose the 10% damage reduction from Defensive Stance and if you have a high amount of stacks on Ragnaros you may want to avoid putting additional stress on your healers.

I am tank trying to fury dps essentially on 1 fight in FL (Domo). Despite 4p dps set and 2h hc axe my dps/dmg lags behind poorer eqipped (new) fury warriors.

I have read loads up but still seem to under achieve (about 18k (rarely >20k) dps

I think I hit my BT cds pretty well, so I must be missing something. Stats are as recommended 13.5% hit, 21.5% crit 26/26 (unbuffed). I m wondering about my use of longer cds. I use Reck with Heroism, but other than that what else do you chain cds on (enrage, DW, reck)?

Thx

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaryki View Post
    I am tank trying to fury dps essentially on 1 fight in FL (Domo). Despite 4p dps set and 2h hc axe my dps/dmg lags behind poorer eqipped (new) fury warriors.

I have read loads up but still seem to under achieve (about 18k (rarely >20k) dps

I think I hit my BT cds pretty well, so I must be missing something. Stats are as recommended 13.5% hit, 21.5% crit 26/26 (unbuffed). I m wondering about my use of longer cds. I use Reck with Heroism, but other than that what else do you chain cds on (enrage, DW, reck)?

Thx
    Can't really help without logs

k - dc d in last fight will have to w8 till next week

Deleted
    Hey

My armory: Jex Quel thalas eu (can't post links as i'm new to the mmo)

I know i dont have the best gear and that most of it is pvp

After asking around i founnd out that apparently fury is better dps.

I have read the fury guide and taken the spec and rotation but can only get around 6k dps with my gear, using TG and a "Sword of the bottomless Pit" (heroic) as my other weapon.

But i can get around 10k with arms, is this simply because you need to have really gd gear for fury?

Any help ould be really appreciated

Thanks

Jex

Quote Originally Posted by Jex View Post
    Hey

My armory: Jex Quel thalas eu (can't post links as i'm new to the mmo)

I know i dont have the best gear and that most of it is pvp

After asking around i founnd out that apparently fury is better dps.

I have read the fury guide and taken the spec and rotation but can only get around 6k dps with my gear, using TG and a "Sword of the bottomless Pit" (heroic) as my other weapon.

But i can get around 10k with arms, is this simply because you need to have really gd gear for fury?

Any help ould be really appreciated

Thanks

Jex
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...s/jex/advanced <- To save viewers, and potential posters, time.

Hi there,

First let me point out that although Fury does out-DPS Arms in raids, the difference isn't that big so go with the spec you're most acquainted with and/or have the most fun with.

Seeing the disparity in the damage you do between the two specs suggests that you don't fully understand the Fury rotation, and no: Arms and Fury scale almost identically with gear. Because I'm pretty sure Aurora covered the workings of Fury very nicely in the guide that you've read, I'm more inclined to believe that more practice on a target (be it raid dummies or actual encounters) will help you increase your DPS as you work out the kinks in the rotation.

Points that could help you improve your DPS would be to do small things like replacing the Agility ring that you looted from the Headless Horseman, acquiring more PvE gear so that you get useful secondary stats instead of resilience and reforging and gemming properly (also covered in the Fury guide) so that you don't miss any auto-attacks or abilities and starve yourself of Rage. Come to think of it, this could be an attributing factor as to why you have done significantly lower DPS as Fury than as Arms. I myself made the mistake, back when I was experimenting between the two specs much like yourself, of just slapping on the second weapon and wailing away at the dummy before wondering why I was pulling low numbers.

Feel free to ask should you have any more questions. I, or other members of the community, will answer them to the best of our abilities.

Best of luck in Azeroth!
    Last edited by ForTheBitterSweet; 2011-10-26 at 07:00 PM.

First off, sorry for no armory link or anything, I can post if required but its more of a general arms question I have.
    My confusion is sub 20%, my dps is around 2-3k below ret paladins and rogues on most heroic firelands bosses. I think it's due to me messing up in this stage as I have quite a bgit of confusion with execute these days after being arms all through Wrath with high success.

So...my question is, how much should I be using execute, I've been having trouble guaging if it hits more than slam and does it still work going berserker stance and ignoring overpower?

I've read the forums, I've sat on dummies forever but my numbers just aren't what I feel they should be for a 376 Ilvl. Granted this is my OS as fury, but I still want to have my dps on par for 1 tank fights.

Can't provide links just yet, for Armory and Parse purposes Panzerkuh on Tanaris, and Osirisguild on WoL, have a recent Baleroc only pulled 22k which is quite low.
    will do my best to log in dps gear for armory

Hi, my char is phyrian. I couldnt change my armory atm. but I have 4p t12 ( HM chest, gloves, leg and normal shoulder) and HM helmet from Alyz. I have normal zoid and skullstealer axe. my dps seem very low compare to my current gear ilvl. if single boss. my might be doing a little better however with boss like HM domo, It seem I doing very low on dps . since i am new member i couldnt submit a world of log this time. but if u can search on channel-v guild run last week in frostmourne. every single help would be much appreciated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Panzerkuh View Post
    I've read the forums, I've sat on dummies forever but my numbers just aren't what I feel they should be for a 376 Ilvl. Granted this is my OS as fury, but I still want to have my dps on par for 1 tank fights.

Can't provide links just yet, for Armory and Parse purposes Panzerkuh on Tanaris, and Osirisguild on WoL, have a recent Baleroc only pulled 22k which is quite low.
    will do my best to log in dps gear for armory
    For reference, Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nzerkuh/simple
    Log: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/5qz8n...?s=9638&e=9867

Your armory looks fine, Head/Shoulders obviously a bit outdated and I wouldn't personally choice Dwyer's Caber over License to Slay but nothing to worry about.

On your logs, the one thing that strikes me (aside from the mistimed Pummel =P) is the low quantity of rage dumps. 18 heroic strikes across 3:48 on a fight with controllable incoming damage on shards does seem conservative to me. Popping berserker rage on shards should give you nice bonus rage for dumping a bit more.

A few more minor things.

- Doesn't seem like you pre-potted. If you're looking to push numbers out Balerocs a great time for pre-potting, you can get very high use out of them. A lot of people would even pre-death wish using mastery sets.
    - Bit of bad luck, no executes crit, Flurry uptime sub-70%
    - Your burst period: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/5qz8n...?s=9670&e=9704. Cooldown usage of DW/Reck/pot seemed fine.
    - Execute phase again seems ok,
    - You start was quite a bit slower than the others in the raid if you're concerned about your DPS(E), the pull seems to be behind your lower uptime.

Overall 24k from someone without heroic gear, a 4-set and sporting some 359's isn't all that bad, there's areas to improve in but I'm not seeing anything drastically amiss.

---------- Post added 2011-10-27 at 02:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by phyrian View Post
    Hi, my char is phyrian. I couldnt change my armory atm. but I have 4p t12 ( HM chest, gloves, leg and normal shoulder) and HM helmet from Alyz. I have normal zoid and skullstealer axe. my dps seem very low compare to my current gear ilvl. if single boss. my might be doing a little better however with boss like HM domo, It seem I doing very low on dps . since i am new member i couldnt submit a world of log this time. but if u can search on channel-v guild run last week in frostmourne. every single help would be much appreciated.
    Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Phyrian/simple (you're in like RP gear or something atm )
    Log (Shannox hc): http://worldoflogs.com/reports/3wpgx...?s=1506&e=1773

Will take a look later.

Deleted
    You seem to be spamming Execute sub 20%, dont do that, u should follow an exe>BT>RB>BT>repeat rotation, you should however spamm execute during reck (especially if CS is up) if your rage is over 30 (doesnt hit nearly as high sub 30 rage)

thanks for the point out. I was panicked alittle bit so I spammed excute alot. However, if u can check log on H Domo, my dps is very low compare to the rest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heroic Staghelm is all about a high concentration uptime. From what I can see you lost your buff a few times, one of them seemed to be one of your paladins dropping a seed on everyone, looks like you took melee from a cat at some point, another dropping your own seed. You could ask for a BoP from a paladin to prevent gaining a seed yourself and the first two are just execution problems that'd hurt anyones dps.