I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account

Spriesty secondary prof?

I am having a internal debate as to whether or not I should drop my seconday profession, which is currently Enchanting, for another.

Tailoring is my primary profession and the benefits have been great so far. I have a main that I can farm cloth on and then feed them to my priest so keeping up with the available skill level is not a problem.

Enchanting on the other hand....has been a pain in the ass. Aside from being unlucky with DEs I will run into bottlenecks every 10-15 skill levels where I simply cannot get the needed mat to drop. This leads to buying what I need off the AH and becoming a serious money drain. Tailoring gives me immediate and frequent benefits and bags and such do sell on the AH. What would you suggest for a secondary? Keep enchanting...or go with something else...and if so, what would you choose?

My main is 525 mining and herbalism and I am thinking of getting Alchemy since I can farm the mats easily and quickly.
    Last edited by Rooflesstoofless; 2011-10-14 at 08:40 PM.

If you need sources of stuff to DE, either make stuff with cloth using Tailoring or level JCing on some toon and feed it ore with your miner. Make some jewelry and DE it.
    With enchanting and some vellums, you can make a pretty penny if you know what sells. Specifically for lower level enchants, popular twink brackets include lvl 19, 29, 49 and 64.

It all depends on what your primary goal is. Do you want the profs on your SP to be for pure profit or do you want profs that boost the SPs DPS?

Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    I am having a internal debate as to whether or not I should drop my seconday profession, which is currently Enchanting, for another.

Tailoring is my primary profession and the benefits have been great so far. I have a main that I can farm cloth on and then feed them to my priest so keeping up with the available skill level is not a problem.

Enchanting on the other hand....has been a pain in the ass. Aside from being unlucky with DEs I will run into bottlenecks every 10-15 skill levels where I simply cannot get the needed mat to drop. This leads to buying what I need off the AH and becoming a serious money drain. Tailoring gives me immediate and frequent benefits and bags and such do sell on the AH. What would you suggest for a secondary? Keep enchanting...or go with something else...and if so, what would you choose?

My main is 525 mining and herbalism and I am thinking of getting Alchemy since I can farm the mats easily and quickly.
    I would get Alchemy. So many benefits to alchemy with very little effort.

Deleted
    If you just want max dps Engineering is the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesparks75 View Post
    Alchemy is quite nice, I would suggest either alchemy or engineering.

off topic: I love your signature, and I will be there with you making fun of imaginary pandas.

Deleted
    Both Alchemy and JC are very profitable. Alchemy now gives you some toys to equip (like a very good trinket) and flasks/pots etc with increased duration/power for yourself. Plus that Flasks and Pots ALWAYS sell. Especially potions' mats are ridiculously easy to gather and they sell very well. For example, for 20 (or more if you are Pot master) Volcanic Potions (intellect ones) you need 20 cinderbloom and 20 azshara's veils (both easy).

JC gives you a good trinket and the ability to make gems for yourself (+3 more powerful gems, for example 3x67 intellect gems, instead of 40 intellect) and gems ALWAYS sell as well. Also, by farming Elementium Ore (do not make them bars) for 1 hour will give you a ton of stacks to prospect with your JC and a ton of uncut gems (usually Jade, Nightstone, Carnelian etc with a quite good chance to get a rare uncut gem). Make gems with your rear uncut gems, use other to make greens, DE em (even if you dont have enchanting anymore, you can ask a guildy to do it for you, or give a lil tip 10-20g to another enchanter to do it) and sell the dusts and greater celestial essences (<3 em) in AH. PROFIT.

Engineering is goodish, you get your own 359 helm (BiS in 4.1, except hc helms), but that's it. It needs a hell ton of parts to level it and when you max it you don't really have many sources to make profit. Either make toys (like pets and chopper) and wait for your investment (as not pets nor choppers ALWAYS sell - you might need to wait for several weeks until it sells) or wait for new 85 hunters to ask you to make them a gun or gun enchanting.

Profitwise, I'd say Alchemy=JC>>>Engineering.

10+ Year Old Account
    Engineering provides the greatest dps gain if the Synapses are utilised correctly, using the buff prior to dot refreshes and a big juicy 3 orb Mind Blast :P On top of this, rocket boots serves as a great last ditch attempt to avoid mechanics or to get to adds faster, assuming it doesn't backfire.

I have tailor / enj.

I cant explain to you how many times rocket belt has saved the day. It made me the last person up on Ragnaros. Pop belt = get away from a ton of meteors attacking me. Also, the synapse springs are pretty amazing. If you are going for more dps I'd do enj. And really why would you want anything other than more dps? More gold? Who needs gold anyway. You just need to buy pots / flasks and you are good. Raising your dps is the point anyway.

I'd definitely say Engineering.

It's got the Synapse Springs, which are great for DPS, but it's also got so many items that are a blast to play with. The Nitro Boosts, of course, which can be a lifesaver in many situations (plus, you've got Dispersion if it backfires). Then there's the Loot-A-Rang (my all-time favorite), Jeeves, MOLL-E, Wormhole Generator: Northrend, Heat-Treated Spinning Lures, different colored smoke flares, and not to mention the stuff from goblin/gnome specializations!

JC gives you an extra 81 to int via the gems everything else gives you 80. Engi is good for the on use synapse springs but it will again only equal to 80 int (after the CD factors in). Engi just gives you the biggest boost on command.

Personally though I am tailoring / alch

Now from what i have found scribe is quicker to level over alch

15+ Year Old Account
    Enchanting is a great profession and probably the easiest moneymaker in game currently, imo.

I'd go with engineering though!

WarcraftPriests.com - The Shadowlands Priest Community Website

Join over 100,000 Priests on our partnered Discord server: Warcraft Priests

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesparks75 View Post
    The only benefits you get from alchemy requires you to wear the 359 ilvl alch trinket or just an extra time on your flask (or weakened flask that never is consumed). Enchanting on the other hand gives you ring enchants which you can't get anywhere else. Also those saying JC need to realize that its getting a nerf with 4.3 when epic gems get introduced to the game. The amount of int you pick up from having JC as your profession over something else is getting reduced as all gems will now get more int from being an epic gem vs the 80 int you get from ring enchants.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would go with Jewelcrafting. As the game evolves, your primary stats change, and it is very easy to change that with the special gems that Jewelcrafting gets.

But for fun, Engineering is the way to go. I mean, Gnomish X-Ray Specs are, by far, the best item in the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyera View Post
    I would go with Jewelcrafting. As the game evolves, your primary stats change, and it is very easy to change that with the special gems that Jewelcrafting gets.

But for fun, Engineering is the way to go. I mean, Gnomish X-Ray Specs are, by far, the best item in the game.
    That and the engineering boots are just lovely.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyera View Post
    SO you would recommend a profession that gives 17 of a primary stat (that's 51 between the 3 gems) over enchanting which gives 80 total? That's gimping yourself 29 of a stat. With the new gems coming out that are 50 of a stat that makes JC the worst of the professions to get other than a gathering profession. Enchanting is by far a better profession to have unless you're in dire need of gold and then JC would win out over enchanting. There was no release of new JC gems with 4.3 but there are now epic gems with 50 stat on them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    SO you would recommend a profession that gives 17 of a primary stat (that's 51 between the 3 gems) over enchanting which gives 80 total? That's gimping yourself 29 of a stat. With the new gems coming out that are 50 of a stat that makes JC the worst of the professions to get other than a gathering profession. Enchanting is by far a better profession to have unless you're in dire need of gold and then JC would win out over enchanting. There was no release of new JC gems with 4.3 but there are now epic gems with 50 stat on them.
    just a few points here;

The JC only gems on PTR have been increased to 77(?), don't quote me on the number.

I highly doubt all of the profession changes for 4.3 have been announced. At the moment blacksmithing will be giving 100int bonus in 4.3 IF your character is fully epic gemmed (2 sockets at 50int per socket).
    If your character is NOT fully epic gemmed then JC will be ahead (77int over 40int x3 = 111int) this bonus will decrease as you become closer to fully epic gemmed (eg if you're only missing 2 epic gems then JC will be 27, 37, 37 int bonus' per gem)
    Other things to note on JC and BS.
    To gain the full benefit of BS you will need 2 more epic gems, if epic gems aren't easily available it's unlikely you'll gain the full benefit of BSing until much later.
    As a JC you'll need three LESS epic gems, meaning you can become fully epic gemmed (+ JC gems) much sooner.

Just food for thought, as I said, I expect more tweaks to be announced.

I would keep going with enchanting.

One thing you can do is scour the AH for cheap greens to DE, its a good way to get materials as usually its cheaper than actually buying them. and make sure you are Deing everything you craft from Tailoring.

Deleted
    the JC gems gives 27int/gem whichi is 81int more than the usual 120int from 3 gems and it'll be increased in the next patch to 37more int/gem so it'll still be 1int higher than the other professions. + JC would bring in a huge amount of money the next patch