Is there any information on how GW2 will reward you for exploring?
Your Top 10 Films of 2015 (So Far) - join the fun! Kitteh by Nox Drachen \o/
Timesinks are a product of the P2P market MMO because the more time you spend waiting for timesinks the less time your doing what you want to be doing, consumeing content. The slower you consume content the longer they can keep you paying 15 a month on the same amount of content. IF you wanted to meet up and play with a friend in another zone which would you prefer, A: 20 minutes to run there, B: 10 minutes to ride there, C: 5 minutes to take a flight path there, or D: 2 seconds to open the map and port there? Either way your probably not haveing any fun while waiting to arrive, option A and B you do have the option of stoping for stuff but your probably ignoring everything in your path to get to your friend while option C your just stuck waiting regardless.
Mounts are strictly for geting somewhere faster than you could arrive on foot. IF your just exploring following the DE's there's no point as your either following NPC's or are killing your way through something. If you want to get somewhere specific further away, ignoring all in your path, agian there's no point its just a needless timesink. On its basic level your argument is Walking is too much of a timesink, we need mounts to reduce that timesink, but instant travel is to fast so lets keep that timesink. If your going to keep the travle timesink there's no point in reducing it with a mount and if you want to make things faster, thereby reducing the timesink why not just remove that timesink altogether?
Who is John Galt?
2. That's not my arguement on any level. I never said or implied that we need mounts, that walking takes too long, or that waypoints are too fast. My arguement was for more choices, and against the conception that only things that are 'necessary' should be added to the game.
3. I disagree. See above.
Edit: spelling / grammar (still probably missed some)
Last edited by MalazanFan; 2011-10-16 at 06:41 AM.
It's very, very hard to contain my fury when I read arguments like this. You have to find the waypoints to activate them. How is immersion broken by not having to run across pointless landscape you've already seen? If you hate them so much then don't use them nobody is forcing you to use them, otherwise stop complaining.
I think theres too many of them..
didnt they say there will be like 15 waypoints for each zone? Doesn't that eliminate traveling around the world completely? every time you want to go somewhere else you just teleport? that doesnt make much sense. I like the feeling of a massive world you have to travel around by yourself, it makes it feel more real.
I don't understand these threads , If you want to explore , then do it.. no one is holding a gun to your head saying take the waypoint or die. Just like in WoW for insance there are FP's or portals I can take anywhere when I first started playing did I do it? No beacuse I wanted to explore and see everything for the first time. Can I do the same thing for GW2 yes! Will i want to explore the same places over and over again and rather just use a Waypoint to get places faster YES. Seriously people play the game the way you want no one is forcing you to do anything.....
I for one do want to be runing places that take 15-20min when I rather be playing the game, I don't want to be on a "flight" that takes 10-20minutes I want to be PLAYING the game waypoints best idea ever. If you want to explore do it like said play the game the way YOU want. You have to find the waypoints first anyway so you have to explore and find them first anyway.....
Last edited by degonite; 2011-10-16 at 09:12 AM.
Way Point Arguments
1. Possible breaking of Immersion - Yeah, instant transport can be Immersion breaking, but so is tabbing out during a flight path, maybe even more so, and it wastes your time.
2. Discourage Exploration after discovering Way Points - However the game will greatly reward exploration, and you'd have much more fun traveling yourself and looking around.
3. Instant Travel apposed to Mounts - See argument 1 about immersion, but ArenaNet likes putting in prestige items so if you collect mounts there will be other things to collect (Possibly things to get by exploring, fancy that). Mounts serve only to get to places quickly and Way Points give that.
4. Development Time - It takes much less time to make Waypoints to everywhere than it does to create 50 or so mounts for every race and not look absolutely retarded when riding on it (Imagine Charr on Horse). I believe Blizzard has proven to us that new models and animations take months to create. (Sarcasm)
5. Less Travel more Actually Playing - Hey... I'm playing a video game... why am I playing a video game? To have fun. Is pressing forward for 10 minutes to get somewhere fun? Is Watching a flying mount take you to where you're going fun? Is instantly getting to where the action is fun? Yes.
6. Dynamic Event System Supports This - Hey... there's a giant dragon event going on, and I'm on the other side of the area... guess I should mount up and run over there? (10 minutes later) Well crap, the dragon is dead... guess I should go back to what ever I was doing. (5 minutes later) My friend just logged on and he told me there is another dragon event going on on the other side of the world... screw it, I'll never make it. (Insert Waypoint Here) My buddy said there is a dragon on the other side of the world (Click Waypoint) Let's do this! LEEERROOOY!!!
Last edited by Malthurius; 2011-10-16 at 09:31 AM.
"Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)
Waypoints are good.. i think , but atleast better than mounts
A great place a guild can gank inc enemies that have bad conection
Not famous hubs or ppl that love to kill others for fun ? PK ? (never played GW1)
Last edited by Shitcook; 2011-10-16 at 11:56 AM.
Yeah think vanillia AV when it comes to WvWvW , AV now is who can run to the otherside faster.
I would rather have ground mounts as they arent immersion breaking, also i thibk that instant travel make the world seem so small(only what i think it would feel like).... But i will say that i dont like mounts in pvp so hmmm
Since you can only instant travel to certain points that you have to unlock, so there's still running about places to get to things after, the game is designed to feel huge while you're on foot, not on a mount. The instant travel is there for people who want to use it, and for people who have short play times(the majority of MMO gamers).
I wouldn't mind 0% mounts with instant dismount on damage. Who actually likes flying in WoW anyway? Waypoints are there to prevent that you have to walk the same route over and over.
You want to play the game and not to walk all the time right?
- If you answered yes, good! Use waypoints!
- If you answered no, then thats fine as well! Walk as a happy man to the place where you need to be and enjoy the world!
Last edited by Ghostrider; 2011-10-16 at 10:10 PM.