Question about healing on the ptr

ok, with the recent 353 ilvl buff im finding that i can spam DL on tanks and they will still die. if i try to heal a party member the tank drops so fast i am forced to use a flash to keep him up.

is it just me or is the damage in some ( not all ) of these instances to much for a 353 ilvl player or is it my playing. im finding in groups where they cc i dont have any problem however in groups where they dont give a damn and try to broot force it i simply cant keep up, end up ooming ( even on trash ) and the tank still dies.

so is the damage in some of these instances simply to high for the holy paladins way of healing ( holy light / shock with DL and maybe a FoL now and then ) or am i just such a bad player that nomater what i do i cant keep some one alive.

like i said, i can chain cast DL on the tank and the tank will still die if i dont get alot of crit heals.

this is the rotation i was using

start the trash with a judg, HS the tank ( by this time the tank is already at about 60% health ), DL x2, WoG, HS, DL x2. rince and repete ( basicly the oposit of what i do in raids ) but i still cant keep the tanks up.

after glimpsing at the combat logs i saw that they were taking ( prot paladin / warrior ) about 12k per hit per mob every 2 ish seconds.

at the normal pack amount of 3-4 im looking at 36k / 48k per 2 seconds average and i simply cant keep up with that kind of damage.

please let me know what im doing wrong if you are not having any problems. and if you are let me know that i dont just suck that badly.

did another instance, obsidium sanctom. this time i said screwing shock and did nothing but spam DL on the tank with beacon. the tank died in 20 seconds with nothing but solid chain casting DL, so it must not be me.
    Last edited by meliancill; 2011-10-15 at 09:53 PM. Reason: new info

With your gear, being able to spam Divine Light that much seems wrong to me, but if you can afford that you can probably afford a flash now and then. If your party is also taking damage, do you Divine light them? Considering holy light heals the double amount on players without beacon (100% transfer) your better off using that, unless the damage is high, i'd probably go for a few flash's while keeping HS on CD and using WoG.

I usually start with: judge, HS, DL/HL, HS/judge ready again, WoG and so on..

If you still got that problem, might be the tanks doing something wrong, hard to say..

i think you miss understand what im saying here, so ill try to simplify it.

on the ptr i have a premade holy paladin ( i play a holy paladin on live but with less gear )

on the ptr people found the instances to easy with 380 gear so blizz buffed them ( the first 2 of the 3 new instances )

on the ptr they have a buff that lowers your ilvl to 353 ( even though its 380 outside of instances ) inorder to test instances with the ilvl they expect live players to have

on the ptr beffor the buff i had no problems keeping players alive threw pritymuch anything, they then buffed the instances and made them quite a bit harder

on the ptr they have added the 353 ilvl buff but didnt nerf the buff they gave the instances to compensate, as a result it is imposible to heal threw it even when i DL spam

this isnt a matter of should i use holy light or a propper rotation, i know the healing rotation and how / what spells to use. what im saying is even using my largest heal and spaming it i am unable to out heal the damage tanks are taking on trash. i dont have time to heal any party members because in the time it takes me to even use a mouse over macro and cast even a flash the tank has taken 30-50k damage and im unable to recover without crit heals.

the point of the matter isnt that im screwing it up, after alot more testing i have come to the conqlution that i cant do anything different. i have done everything used every combination of heals including chain casting DL and still the tank dies.

im simply asking if anyone els is having the same problem.
    Last edited by meliancill; 2011-10-15 at 11:30 PM.

It's definitely possible the tuning of the instances is off; that's probably the main reason they have the ilevel 353 downgrade active. They want these new 5 mans tuned for people in ZA/ZG gear.

Some of it is probably tanks not using CDs correctly or executing mechanics as well. For example, that instance that is in a replica of Dragonblight - the trash puts down these void zone things that look like the old HW: Sanctuary graphic. You get a HP buff from standing in them; if the tank isn't standing in them, chances are the damage taken is designed to kill him. Also, Cata instances are designed to require proper CC and interrupts if you are doing them at the minimum gear level. Remember what regular heroics were like when we were trying to do them in 333 blues? That's what these instances in theory are being tuned for.

Another thing is - don't forget that Holy Radiance now gives a charge of HP. If you have to heal the rest of the party, take advantage of that by casting HR; it still provides some healing to the tank if he's in range, and the extra HP generation means you get more WoGs off (which are ridiculously OP with the 15% LFD buff; I was getting 80k WoG crits even at the deflated 353 iLevel.

thats what i was thinking. the ptr heros are to used to powering threw stuff at an inflated ilvl, no one is doing cc ( only 1 group did and i had no problem ), then they wipe and blame me for not healing threw that insane amount of damage with a tank only siting at 170k hp buffed and my spell power only at 7k /QQ

i gues its a tuning problem and ill have to wait and see if blizz fixes some of the damage so its not so much of a killer if the group isnt on their A game.

I healed the last two bosses and trash, you just need to use cooldowns correctly. The only part I had trouble with was the 2nd boss when no one interrupted the adds and the last wave on the third boss (Tank CD/Sac/other CD's) and we managed to one shot everything. (holy pally)
    It's your 15 bucks and you can do what you want, but it's our 60 bucks and we think you're an idiot. That's your answer. Do whatever the hell you want to do when you're alone, but in a group setting you're expected to at least ATTEMPT to play your class correctly.