Deleted

change drive letter

just wondering if there is a way to change the drive path of the primary boot/active partition? for some reason when i first upgraded the OS to 64bit it installed onto the H drive. didn't matter much until recently when i encountered problems with some games; they point blank refused to open up when installed on the H drive, yet if i created a new virtual drive and labelled it C and copied the games to it, they worked fine.

every time i try to change the drive letter it just says that there are invalid parameters and it doesn't work, so i assume you're not allowed to on the main drive. so yeah, is there a way around this to change the drive letter, or is the only way a fresh install? 'cause i really can't be arsed with that and will just have to deal with the annoying multiple virtual drives.

What OS are you using :P steps could be different with different versions of windows ^^
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |

Deleted
    windows 7 64bit

Deleted
    Right click on Computer -> Manage -> [Storage] -> Disk Management.
    I think that's what you are looking for.

EDIT: Oh seems like I misunderstood the last part, you have tried this but it didn't work?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    Right click on Computer -> Manage -> [Storage] -> Disk Management.
    I think that's what you are looking for.

EDIT: Oh seems like I misunderstood the last part, you have tried this but it didn't work?
    yeah it says the paramater is invalid or something along those lines, which i believe is because it's the main, and only, hard drive/partition.

Deleted
    IMO the only way is a fresh install.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    How to restore or change system boot drive letter in Windows.

This will require you to edit the registry so have your thinking cap on. Make sure you read the warnings and if you are unsure do not carry on.