Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    What mods should I use?

    Hey fellow Minecrafters,

    I have been interested in starting to use mods for Minecraft and some mods I want to install are the Aether mod, Buildcraft and Industrialcraft. That said, I know there are a lot out there. So, could you post what mods I should use, with a short description of what the mod does and a link to a site with more Info.

    Thanks Guys!
    i like my steak to say "moo" when i put my fork in it.
    GENERATION 25: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
    Originally Posted by Pope http://http://www.mmo-champion.com/t...thoughts/page2
    Arthas: "Hahahaha, I'm the Lich King, and I gathered Millions of Minions on the Glacier"
    Players: "Yeah, We're just gonna fly over them. trollface.jpg"

  2. #2
    if you want awesome looking water, there's this:
    http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...der-alpha-v4d/

    a good all rounder would be: (does alot, read the post fully!) - i use this for the flying module, change the speed you fly at (best to read)
    http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...v53-upd-14oct/

    if you like singleplayer (or you are a mod on your own server and the server is okay with it) and you like to be able to see all the items available and give yourself them:
    http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...nvedit-oct-13/

    some mods make use of ModLoader: (this post has a few other nice mods)
    http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...thing-updated/

    hd patcher for hi res texture packs so you can use hi res texture packs...!
    http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...er-hd-fix-212/


    these are the ones i use currently

  3. #3
    Titan PizzaSHARK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    12,290
    Use OptiFine. Use ModLoader (which is probably required for virtually everything, anyway.) Zan's minimap comes extremely highly recommended. Treecapitator makes gathering logs much easier. Clay Soldiers basically lets you watch a bunch of little mini-dudes kick the shit out of each other once you have some clay and soul sand. Crystal Feather lets you quickly and easily return to your spawnpoint at will once you can build one.

  4. #4
    Blademaster Diablo Gamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Localhost
    Posts
    29
    also highly recommended is inventory tweaks
    It's nice to be important, but it is more important to be nice
    PM me to be added to whitelist

    MLP Fan Fics with my OC as main character: Re-earning Your Cutie Mark

  5. #5
    All of these can be easily downloaded via the search feature on minecraftforum.net

    ModLoader
    Optifine
    Reis Minimap, it is much less performance consuming than Lahrwans / Zans minimap and has a much smoother animation. If your PC has problems with Minecraft, try Reis Minimap or consider not using them at all, as with a less zoom level, more chunks must be loaded im comparison to your sight.

    This is just real basic with a performance boost and a minimap, which I highly recommend using. Navigation in minecraft is rudimentary at best and the ability to add waypoints vastly increases map awareness.

    Optional:
    - If you are a builder-type and feel Creative is lacking (like me), use TooManyItems. With a shift-leftclick you are actually able to use infinite blocks instead of 64.
    - To be provided with a few commands, think about using SinglePlayerCommands

    Some of these mods need to be installed differently than others. Before asking any kind of question regarding installation, read the respective forum posts on minecraftforum.net. They are usually well-documented as there is no real easy way to install mods in MC. If you want to use Optifine, stay away from HDPatcher as they screw each other up. Optifine also enables HD Texture packs, hence you do not miss a thing.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Clay Soldiers basically lets you watch a bunch of little mini-dudes kick the shit out of each other once you have some clay and soul sand.
    I very much like the sound of this

  7. #7
    If you're still happy playing 1.8.1, then I suggest using the YogBox. (gotta copy and paste the url, I haven't used these forums enough to let me post a link.)

    yogiverse.com/showthread.php?11841-YogBox-A-carefully-chosen-compilation-of-good-mods

    It has a little bit of everything in it, as well as its own installer/uninstaller, so you can easily decide what to, and what not to install. Modding minecraft is simple, this just gets rid of some of the tedium. The 1.8.1 version of the YogBox has Equivalent Exchange in it also, which is hands down, one of my favorite mods. Adds what feels like a set of 'end game' items (seriously, some of them take over 1000 diamonds to make, which the mod makes a little easier.) Theres a few videos of it on youtube. Hope this helps even a little. And I'm off to diggy diggy hole in my own single player world!

  8. #8
    The weeping angel one is a great laugh

  9. #9
    no weeping angel is really buggy and sucks every youtuber has bumed it becasue of the moder he paid them to make it look good and not point out the faults too much

  10. #10
    Titan PizzaSHARK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    12,290
    Quote Originally Posted by Wozarib View Post
    I very much like the sound of this
    It's pretty fuckin sweet. Kodachizero has added a ton of stuff to it with each update. The only thing it lacks is the ability to really command your little minions, which is something he's said he won't be doing (you can still throw like-colored dyes or use your fishing rod's lure to make them swarm around, though... kinda like Pikmin, actually.)

    You can use dirt and soul sand to make little horses for them to ride. Giving them an iron ingot makes them tougher and heavier. They'll turn sticks into swords, and you can hand them a piece of flint for them to sharpen their sticks with. You can give them a piece of leather to make armor out of, and a piece of wool allows them to add padding to it to increase its defensive value. If you give one a gold ingot, it makes a crown out of it, and all of the others will follow him around. You can use snow blocks, feathers, and soul sand to create a flying pegasus mount for them.

    If you give one of them a stack of logs (5, 10, or 20), he'll use them to make a home, with the size of the home depending on how many logs you gave him (he makes a freakin castle if you give him 20.)

    Give them glass, and they make goggles, which increases their sight range. Give them a diamond, and they make a diamond cape out of it which supercharges them (massively increases their damage and HP.) And if you give them Ender Pearls, they basically turn into zombies - they attack every other clay soldier in sight (including same-colored soldiers!), and if they kill a soldier, that soldier is revived at full health and becomes a zombie as well.

    It's really, really fun.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    It's pretty fuckin sweet. Kodachizero has added a ton of stuff to it with each update. The only thing it lacks is the ability to really command your little minions, which is something he's said he won't be doing (you can still throw like-colored dyes or use your fishing rod's lure to make them swarm around, though... kinda like Pikmin, actually.)

    You can use dirt and soul sand to make little horses for them to ride. Giving them an iron ingot makes them tougher and heavier. They'll turn sticks into swords, and you can hand them a piece of flint for them to sharpen their sticks with. You can give them a piece of leather to make armor out of, and a piece of wool allows them to add padding to it to increase its defensive value. If you give one a gold ingot, it makes a crown out of it, and all of the others will follow him around. You can use snow blocks, feathers, and soul sand to create a flying pegasus mount for them.

    If you give one of them a stack of logs (5, 10, or 20), he'll use them to make a home, with the size of the home depending on how many logs you gave him (he makes a freakin castle if you give him 20.)

    Give them glass, and they make goggles, which increases their sight range. Give them a diamond, and they make a diamond cape out of it which supercharges them (massively increases their damage and HP.) And if you give them Ender Pearls, they basically turn into zombies - they attack every other clay soldier in sight (including same-colored soldiers!), and if they kill a soldier, that soldier is revived at full health and becomes a zombie as well.

    It's really, really fun.
    you sold me on it with that write up:P

  12. #12
    • modloader
    • Rei's Minimap
    • TooManyItems
    • Timber!
    • Millenaire - Npc Villages etc
    • CastleDefense - adds mercanries you can hire and NPC towers
    • SinglePlayerCommands/WorldEdit

    This is the list of mods I use.
    Last edited by smashzu; 2011-10-17 at 09:20 AM.

  13. #13
    Moderator Axethor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Elchea Library
    Posts
    3,600
    I always liked the airship mod. Flying around in the ship was lots of fun.
    Also, watch the Aether mod. It's not up to date yet because the authors are focusing on SMP support till 1.9 comes out. Fantastic mod right there.

    Axethor - level 90 UH/Blood DK
    Raelof - level 90 BM Hunter

    Steam | Twitter

    LoL Forum Mod | General Forum FAQ

  14. #14
    Brewmaster Waervyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Denmark/Netherlands/Finland
    Posts
    1,390
    I've heard the Better Than Wolves mod is very good (you can make working windmills!). Haven't tried it myself though!

  15. #15
    for single player, aether's mode looks awesome

  16. #16
    Titan PizzaSHARK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    12,290
    Quote Originally Posted by smashzu View Post
    • modloader
    • Rei's Minimap
    • TooManyItems
    • Timber!
    • Millenaire - Npc Villages etc
    • CastleDefense - adds mercanries you can hire and NPC towers
    • SinglePlayerCommands/WorldEdit

    This is the list of mods I use.
    Use DaftPVF's Treecapitator instead of Timber. It does the same thing, but without spreading the effect to structures made of logs. It means you can actually use a mod like that while building a log cabin without chopping down an entire wall because you misplaced a log block.

    ---------- Post added 2011-10-18 at 09:19 PM ----------

    That CastleDefense mod sounds pretty slick. I don't care for NPC defenders (monsters aren't a fuckin threat once you have a bow), but the idea of raiding enemy castles is pretty neat.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Use DaftPVF's Treecapitator instead of Timber. It does the same thing, but without spreading the effect to structures made of logs. It means you can actually use a mod like that while building a log cabin without chopping down an entire wall because you misplaced a log block.

    ---------- Post added 2011-10-18 at 09:19 PM ----------

    That CastleDefense mod sounds pretty slick. I don't care for NPC defenders (monsters aren't a fuckin threat once you have a bow), but the idea of raiding enemy castles is pretty neat.
    Good call! That gets really annoying.

  18. #18
    I try to minimize mods, but I still use toomanyitems for inventory editing and being able to save my inventory for adventure maps (I hate losing a mcguffin and having to restart a map because of it, BAM reload inventory, mcguffin returned!)

    HD patcher is another key one, without it any texture pack 32x32 or above will have dozens of really messed up graphical glitches. One actually mocked me, the entire ocean was just repeating text "use the patcher, noob!"

    and I use modloader, because it's supposed to help make it so mods don't mess each other up and crash the game.

  19. #19
    Titan PizzaSHARK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    12,290
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I try to minimize mods, but I still use toomanyitems for inventory editing and being able to save my inventory for adventure maps (I hate losing a mcguffin and having to restart a map because of it, BAM reload inventory, mcguffin returned!)

    HD patcher is another key one, without it any texture pack 32x32 or above will have dozens of really messed up graphical glitches. One actually mocked me, the entire ocean was just repeating text "use the patcher, noob!"

    and I use modloader, because it's supposed to help make it so mods don't mess each other up and crash the game.
    I haven't tried those adventure mods, because it just seems like it defeats the purpose of playing Minecraft. A lot of the fun is building shit and making pathways by digging holes through things. I love building scaffolds to reach ore deposits in a high ceiling or avoiding a lava spring by digging a tunnel through the walls. I could go for limited ability to break blocks (but fuck the removal of placing blocks, if I can't build shit... no), but complete removal? Shit, I could just go fire up a Zelda game.

    CastleDefenders is... meh. It's fun seeing the little towers EVERYWHERE (seriously, there were like four of them within 20 meters of my spawnpoint), but it doesn't really appear to add much.

  20. #20
    Herald of the Titans Achaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    pfft as if you care..
    Posts
    2,681
    •TooManyItems
    •Timber!
    •Millenaire - Npc Villages etc

    i like these but with my luck anything cheat related so item spawn mods would endup in me never stopping so id try avoid it

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •