Page 77 of 120 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Spec: Survival
    Item Level: 671
    Expectations: want to get to ~90% ranks, just looking for things i could do better
    Armory Link: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Rexia/advanced
    Warcraftlogs Link: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...LWmj9/#fight=5

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie View Post
    Spec: Survival
    Item Level: 671
    Expectations: want to get to ~90% ranks, just looking for things i could do better
    Your BA uptime is mostly in the 70% range. It should be possible to have that more in the 80-90% range on a lot of fights.

You don't have advanced logging enabled, so we can't look at your focus management.

For now at least Focusing shot seems to be the best 100 talent for SV and it should be usable on most of the fights.

Quote Originally Posted by Akainakali View Post
    Your BA uptime is mostly in the 70% range. It should be possible to have that more in the 80-90% range on a lot of fights.

You don't have advanced logging enabled, so we can't look at your focus management.

For now at least Focusing shot seems to be the best 100 talent for SV and it should be usable on most of the fights.
    Log with advanced enabled, but beastlord missing: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...2&type=summary

Had 80% BA uptime on hans and franz which should be okay since theoretical max uptime is ~83%, i think main reason for low uptime on the other fights are putting them on things that die too fast (accidentally placed it on pack beast on beast lord for example). I'm using focusing shot on all fights.

BA will inevitably be delayed a small amount, and most high parses I've noticed, 80% is realistically the maximum you're going to get consistently.
    Just look at most of the top hunters parses in H BRF so far. 77-80% seems to be the most common number.

Slightly off topic, I keep scratch'n my head at that lone Barrage cast on Azortharion's top parse for H Gruul. Was that a mistake? I presume it was. (wish my guild could kill that bastard in 3 minutes, as apposed to our almost 5 minute kill, would parse quite a bit higher than 34k)
    Last edited by Abbyd; 2015-02-10 at 08:18 AM.

Dafuq? Unless you are still rocking the cooldown trinket from last xpac, you can't mathematically even get above 83.3%. Please don't give bad or impossible advice.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Abbyd View Post
    Slightly off topic, I keep scratch'n my head at that lone Barrage cast on Azortharion's top parse for H Gruul. Was that a mistake? I presume it was.
    Even ST it can be a dps increase. It is currently #10 on the priority list. It is advisable for most people to not use it ST, because it is a very very specific scenario where it is an increase, and messing it up even once ends up being a loss.

A friend of mine has been sitting at 15k DPS since they've had 635 ilvl but their gear has improved massive amounts in the same time frame to 651 at the moment. I really need to know what the issue is and where to point them to improve.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Satucia/simple
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...7&type=summary

That's our most recently log, other ones are under our guild so feel free to peruse. I wish I knew enough about hunters to help them out.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zokudu View Post
    A friend of mine has been sitting at 15k DPS since they've had 635 ilvl but their gear has improved massive amounts in the same time frame to 651 at the moment. I really need to know what the issue is and where to point them to improve.

That's our most recently log, other ones are under our guild so feel free to peruse. I wish I knew enough about hunters to help them out.
    BA and SS uptimes are too low. SS should be up for 90% or better, and the fight was long enough that there should have been at least a couple of more BA in there (24 second timer, so actually should have been 12 or so). Explosive shots seems too low too. Considering the number of Cobra Shots, I wonder if she is focus starved...she should be using that a *lot* more, and that could explain why the other abilities are too low.

Missing a big enchant on her cloak as well.

I won't go into specifics like with the majority of people that post here. Your friend doesn't really need fine tuning, they really just appear to be new to dps in general, so the advice will be more generalized.

First and foremost have them start hitting buttons at all times. There are several(a whole damn lot) of times when they aren't doing anything at all. I don't mean like .5seconds between shots, their are lot of 4+ second gaps of doing absolutely nothing. For example look at this graph from butcher- https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ce&view=events . All of the green bars are their casts, all the spaces with no bars is them going out for coffee or something, who the hell knows.

Second, have them get some form of addon (either TMW or WA) and copy some people's strings so that they know when important shots are available.

Once they do those 2 things, you should notice considerable improvement. After that come back and we can worry about specific things like DOT uptime, talents, and optimizing, but for right now they really just need to start with the very very basics.

Edit: I know you said you don't know much about hunters, so if you need help with WA or TMW strings send me a PM, I can give you my WA or create some for TMW(they are pretty easy and quick)
    Last edited by dashmudtz; 2015-02-10 at 03:52 PM. Reason: String help

Quote Originally Posted by dashmudtz View Post
    I won't go into specifics like with the majority of people that post here. Your friend doesn't really need fine tuning, they really just appear to be new to dps in general, so the advice will be more generalized.

First and foremost have them start hitting buttons at all times. There are several(a whole damn lot) of times when they aren't doing anything at all. I don't mean like .5seconds between shots, their are lot of 4+ second gaps of doing absolutely nothing. For example look at this graph from butcher- https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ce&view=events . All of the green bars are their casts, all the spaces with no bars is them going out for coffee or something, who the hell knows.

Second, have them get some form of addon (either TMW or WA) and copy some people's strings so that they know when important shots are available.

Once they do those 2 things, you should notice considerable improvement. After that come back and we can worry about specific things like DOT uptime, talents, and optimizing, but for right now they really just need to start with the very very basics.

Edit: I know you said you don't know much about hunters, so if you need help with WA or TMW strings send me a PM, I can give you my WA or create some for TMW(they are pretty easy and quick)
    They are new. They started maybe 4 months ago, and we RaFed up. THis is their first real experience outside of something like LFR or SoO Normal where people didn't care. Thanks for the advice. I'll talk with her and see what she says.

They are new. They started maybe 4 months ago, and we RaFed up. THis is their first real experience outside of something like LFR or SoO Normal where people didn't care. Thanks for the advice. I'll talk with her and see what she says.
    That is what I assumed, I really just stress those 2 points again. For someone who is brand new and just needs something basic, I would recommend TMW and again, I can help you set it all up to alert her of what her priority shots are and when they are available without it being overwhelming.

Spec Survival
    Item Level 675
    Expectations: At LEAST 30k consistently
    Armory Link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rd/Fumu/simple
    Warcraftlogs Link:
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/gD62rMQXLAaHGWNf
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/3DWhajRYMZX4L7k6

These are messy pulls with lots of deaths/learning the fights but the low dps is still pretty obvious. I do better as MM and LW Survival, so I have a feeling it's a Focusing Shot L2P issue. Am I letting SS or BA drop off too much? Sometimes it feels like I can either TRY to get a FS off or die. Also, sometimes Explosive trap targeting on the go just seems cranky (I've had it randomly target another player after i land the trap, which costs at least 1 second or more of DPS).

There are several issues here, but by far the biggest is that he is not casting abilities often enough. Here is a look at his casts during 1:00-2:00 during your butcher kill:

It looks like he spent half the time waiting for his focus to regen instead of using cobra shot. There are time when he does use most of his free gcds, particularly the start of fights, but if he works on doing this consistently throughout the fight his numbers should improve dramatically.

edit: oops, should have refreshed before replying

Stopped after looking at the first couple fights, were you afk for like half the time? It's hard to give constructive criticism when you are spending 1+ minute chunks sitting at full focus not doing anything, like how much is it you being distracted versus an actual issue in your play.
    Last edited by sleepingforest; 2015-02-10 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fumu View Post
    These are messy pulls with lots of deaths/learning the fights but the low dps is still pretty obvious. I do better as MM and LW Survival, so I have a feeling it's a Focusing Shot L2P issue. Am I letting SS or BA drop off too much? Sometimes it feels like I can either TRY to get a FS off or die. Also, sometimes Explosive trap targeting on the go just seems cranky (I've had it randomly target another player after i land the trap, which costs at least 1 second or more of DPS).
    Your Gruul kill?????? Ok aside from that, much like everyone else that posts here, you need to start pressing buttons. Here is a zoomed portion of your FB kill to only show the portion where you were alive - https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...&end=519843657. Look at all of those times where you were doing absolutely nothing. The number of times you just stood there for 2+ seconds is too many to count. there was one point where you didn't hit a single shot for 11! seconds. I take that back there was more than 1 time during that one attempt where you didn't hit a single damaging shot for 11 seconds. Even if you started running from a wolf with 0 focus, your passive regen would give you something before 11 seconds, not to mention just disengaging then getting a FS.

I would go more in depth, but seriously it isn't really possible to compare doing nothing to doing nothing slightly better. Might seem harsh, but your toon isn't a new boosted 100, you were raiding older tiers. Spend time on the basics, get them down and then the rest can be refined.

Quote Originally Posted by dashmudtz View Post
    Your Gruul kill?????? Ok aside from that, much like everyone else that posts here, you need to start pressing buttons. Here is a zoomed portion of your FB kill to only show the portion where you were alive - https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...&end=519843657. Look at all of those times where you were doing absolutely nothing. The number of times you just stood there for 2+ seconds is too many to count. there was one point where you didn't hit a single shot for 11! seconds. I take that back there was more than 1 time during that one attempt where you didn't hit a single damaging shot for 11 seconds. Even if you started running from a wolf with 0 focus, your passive regen would give you something before 11 seconds, not to mention just disengaging then getting a FS.

I would go more in depth, but seriously it isn't really possible to compare doing nothing to doing nothing slightly better. Might seem harsh, but your toon isn't a new boosted 100, you were raiding older tiers. Spend time on the basics, get them down and then the rest can be refined.
    Thanks and no worries, feel free to be harsh! Tough love is what I'm here for

Let me explain some problems I have with this current iteration of Surv - sometimes there's a feedback loop of "gotta move, can't die, oh crap I need to get off an FS, oh crap gotta move, can't die, shit BA has been off cooldown for 2 seconds, gotta cast, oh no gotta move more fire!"

I think an addon would possibly help if it has the bars of things i have to press RIGHT NOW in my face, even while worrying about fire mechanics. When I was learning Survival in Cata, J's Hunter Bar did it. Is there any good addon for that now? Maybe Weakauras? I'm most worried about Survival's top priority skills.

Also what do I do about Explosive trap? Does anyone else have that problem where it will randomly target others afterwards, or act like it's in range then not go off, etc.? That could also explain some of the gaps, me trying in vain to get an explosive trap off.

Let me explain some problems I have with this current iteration of Surv - sometimes there's a feedback loop of "gotta move, can't die, oh crap I need to get off an FS, oh crap gotta move, can't die, shit BA has been off cooldown for 2 seconds, gotta cast, oh no gotta move more fire!"

I think an addon would possibly help if it has the bars of things i have to press RIGHT NOW in my face, even while worrying about fire mechanics. When I was learning Survival in Cata, J's Hunter Bar did it. Is there any good addon for that now? Maybe Weakauras? I'm most worried about Survival's top priority skills.
    Weakauras and Tellmewhen can both do that. Weakauras is more robust, but if all you are looking for is "Hit this thing now" TMW is probably better, as per all of my advice, hit me up via PM if you want help setting it up.

Also what do I do about Explosive trap? Does anyone else have that problem where it will randomly target others afterwards, or act like it's in range then not go off, etc.? That could also explain some of the gaps, me trying in vain to get an explosive trap off.
    I am assuming you don't have an autohotkey script or a programmable keyboard/mouse to do it in a single click. Under that assumption stop using it on single target. It is a very very small dps gain single target, and if you are having issues with needing to re-target(or if you have any delay between pressing the button & clicking the location) you should just not use it.

Obviously you still want to use it with >1 target even if you aren't doing it as smoothly / unintentionally clicking off target. In that scenario you just really need to be in the habit of having another finger already reaching for the tab key(or whatever you have it bound to). This will quickly pick up your target again, even if you get the wrong target when multiples are available, at least you will be putting damage on something while you reacquire the correct target.

Thanks a lot. So basically: hit more buttons, stop using ES single target (I have zero problems with AOE dps or ES aiming for them), and use an addon. I'll try TellMeWhen because Weakauras was useful, but TMW sounds more important.

Sending a PM! Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by nitefaro View Post
    Spec Survival
    Item Level 672 - 2 Set
    Expectations: Above average dps and higher ranking mainly 30K+ dps on ST
    Armory Link: us battle net/wow/en/character/area-52/Nitefaro/simple
    Warcraftlogs Link: www warcraftlogs com/reports/TCf3zHhqa2twK7y8

Hey, I'm looking at my dps compared to two of the other hunters in my guild and despite me now being similar item level to them as well as having the two piece, they still manage to outdps me. I noticed their arcane shot casts are WAY more than mine and my ES casts are above them. One of the hunters has me beat on casts per fight and I'm wondering what I could be doing wrong that is resulting in the lower dos as well as possibly why I'm not fitting as many casts as him. Thank you for your time!
    Don't forget about this awesome post right here just add the periods for the logs link!

Spec Survival
    Item Level 675
    Expectations: DPS 30k
    Armory Link: us.battle.net/wow/en/character/dreadmaul/Gofgaf/simple
    Logs Link: warcraftlogs.com/reports/HmQjNPdT61ghkav7#type=damage-done&source=19

Quote Originally Posted by nitefaro View Post
    Don't forget about this awesome post right here just add the periods for the logs link!
    Looking at your Gruul kill specifically since it's easier to pin point issues (https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...-done&source=3)

You have great SS and BA uptime. However, you cast Barrage way to much, you honestly shouldn't be casting it at all on a single target fight. Your guild bloodlust super late so your potion + blood fury was already used. You also didn't pot a second time.

Comparing my gruul kill (3:17) to your gruul kill (3:27), I had 4 more ES and 10 more AS, you even procced more LnL than me, you need to be casting more skills and don't use Barrage in a ST fight.

For your Kromog kill, once you get grasping earth on you, you need to shoot MS once to spread SS on all of them then Barrage. Your BA uptime also suffered 58% compared to top hunters 74%. Seems like you did die on that fight so that didn't really help either.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gofgaf View Post
    Spec Survival
    Item Level 675
    Expectations: DPS 30k
    Armory Link: us.battle.net/wow/en/character/dreadmaul/Gofgaf/simple
    Logs Link: warcraftlogs.com/reports/HmQjNPdT61ghkav7#type=damage-done&source=19
    On your Gruul kill, you just need to shoot alot more AS. Our fight lengths are similar yet I have 23 more AS than you do hence my SS damage is alot higher than yours. On a single target fight with FS, SS should be your top damage.

Quote Originally Posted by critsohard View Post
    Looking at your Gruul kill specifically since it's easier to pin point issues

You have great SS and BA uptime. However, you cast Barrage way to much, you honestly shouldn't be casting it at all on a single target fight. Your guild bloodlust super late so your potion + blood fury was already used. You also didn't pot a second time.

Comparing my gruul kill (3:17) to your gruul kill (3:27), I had 4 more ES and 10 more AS, you even procced more LnL than me, you need to be casting more skills and don't use Barrage in a ST fight.

For your Kromog kill, once you get grasping earth on you, you need to shoot MS once to spread SS on all of them then Barrage. Your BA uptime also suffered 58% compared to top hunters 74%. Seems like you did die on that fight so that didn't really help either.

- - - Updated - - -

On your Gruul kill, you just need to shoot alot more AS. Our fight lengths are similar yet I have 23 more AS than you do hence my SS damage is alot higher than yours. On a single target fight with FS, SS should be your top damage.

How about in comparison to the other hunters? I notice they get out way more arcane shots and serpent sting total dmg done. Is it because I use barrage so much? But on multi target fights, isn't barrage a good thing in the moment?