Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Gotta love the BSOD's

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now here's the thing.... it only reached "90" of physical memory dumped to the disk, not 100. >_> How bad is that? Does that mean anything? My computer has been nearly 100% stable, just every once in a while it will randomly BSOD, so I am not going to up the voltage anymore. It has gone through Prime95, Heaven, Cinebench, Intel Burn Test on standard, high, and very high, and daily work like folding/rendering and has not blue screened except for once like a month ago.... any thoughts? It is working just fine right now.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    0x124 is most likely related to the Vcore, or the QPI/VTT values. I'd suggest either lowering or increasing the Vcore with one step and see if that helps. If it doesn't, move to the QPI/VTT voltage values.

Read more about the error code here (and possible causes):
    http://www.sevenforums.com/crash-loc...-what-try.html
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2011-10-17 at 10:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It probably has to do with QPI/VTT as the Vcore was stable at 1.355v before, but after several days it blue screened on me. (Several days being on 24/7 that is.) So I bumped it up to 1.36v. I just don't know what to do with QPI/VTT, how high or low to adjust it... so I'm totally in the dark about it. I'm honestly thinking of just bringing the CPU back down to 4.4GHz as it was totally stable then.
    "A flower.

Deleted
    What do you have the VCCIO (QPI/VTT or "Processor Power for I/O", whatever it's called on your board) on atm? I see you are running your RAM at 1600Mhz, so having the VCCIO at around 1.05V should do it (if I recall correctly intel recommends 1.08 as absolute max, but it's totally possible to go higher).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    What do you have the VCCIO (QPI/VTT or "Processor Power for I/O", whatever it's called on your board) on atm? I see you are running your RAM at 1600Mhz, so having the VCCIO at around 1.05V should do it (if I recall correctly intel recommends 1.08 as absolute max, but it's totally possible to go higher).
    Hold on let me check, I'll write down all the info for ya.

---------- Post added 2011-10-17 at 10:24 AM ----------

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So based on the overclocking guide I used specifically for the i5-2500K/i7-2600K and P8P67 type boards from Asus, it is okay to up the VCCIO to 1.15v if I have 1.65v RAM, as they should be no more than .5v apart. I have considered bringing the RAM down to 1.5v to be safe, but as I've never screwed with RAM before I am a bit more nervous on that, as I've heard you have to mess with timings too. >_< I don't know, give me your opinion.
    "A flower.

Deleted
    Honestly that sounds excessive. Bring the VCCIO down to 1.05V and check for stability. I've seen people run 2133Mhz on just 1.2V on the VCCIO.

But, looking at your setup I see you got 4x4Gb RAM, and that will require a higher VCCIO voltage (compared to a 2x4Gb setup). I'd still advise you to try with 1.05V VCCIO first, and if it proves unstable go up to 1.1 or even 1.2V to see if increasing it will help. Don't go higher than 1.2V though, I've heard that's stretching the limits.

10+ Year Old Account
    How do you think I should check for stability of RAM? Intel Burn Test, Memtest86, Prime95, or something else? Like I said, my computer has gone through all of these tests and shown 0 errors, that's why this is bugging me so much.
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Prime95 blend is usually the best test of memory stability in windows. Even so, I find general usage to be the best test. Had a couple bad corsair sticks that did fine on tests, but the machine kept bluescreening and corrupting files left and right.
    red panda red panda red panda!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Prime95 blend is usually the best test of memory stability in windows. Even so, I find general usage to be the best test. Had a couple bad corsair sticks that did fine on tests, but the machine kept bluescreening and corrupting files left and right.
    Then Idk what it is. Most often I'm just fine, I guess I could up the VCCIO a little bit... but the fact that I'm usually days at a time stable really stresses me out.
    "A flower.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Then Idk what it is. Most often I'm just fine, I guess I could up the VCCIO a little bit... but the fact that I'm usually days at a time stable really stresses me out.
    I'd find it more likely that you have the VCCIO too high. Try lowering it to 1.1 or 1.05V and see if that helps. I believe intel have recommended a max of 1.08V.

10+ Year Old Account
    "So you will have to play around with the vcore and the pll voltage until your once again stable! Remember also to keep the RAM Volt and VCCIO difference at 0.5v max, i.e if your running your ram at 1.65v, keep the VCCIO at least 1.15v and so on."

http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/...king-tips.html

That's why I don't want to lower the VCCIO anymore... Granted of course he doesn't say why it shouldn't be over .5v apart.... but I'll take it it is for stability/safety reasons. Honestly thinking about dropping my RAM to 1.5v and 1333MHz across the board if I have to. =/
    "A flower.

Deleted
    And still it's strange that I have seen RAM run at 1.65V at 2133Mhz with a VCCIO at 1.2V.

"VCCIO: [...] While Intel's Maximum is 1.05 +/- 3% = 1.08V, you can go higher, much higher. I would recommend staying below 1.2V for 24/7 use, but depending on the quality of the IMC on your chip, 2133 MHz can run on as little at 1.1V. I used 1.12V for overclocking my Dominator 1600 MHz to 1866 MHz, and it did it without any problems. Do realize that this voltage contributes heat as well to the whole thermal package."
    - http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ormance-Review

I'd find it odd if your 1600Mhz setup would need more than 1.1V for the QPI/VTT.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2011-10-17 at 01:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    And still it's strange that I have seen RAM run at 1.65V at 2133Mhz with a VCCIO at 1.2V.

"VCCIO: [...] While Intel's Maximum is 1.05 +/- 3% = 1.08V, you can go higher, much higher. I would recommend staying below 1.2V for 24/7 use, but depending on the quality of the IMC on your chip, 2133 MHz can run on as little at 1.1V. I used 1.12V for overclocking my Dominator 1600 MHz to 1866 MHz, and it did it without any problems. Do realize that this voltage contributes heat as well to the whole thermal package."
    - http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ormance-Review

I'd find it odd if your 1600Mhz setup would need more than 1.1V for the QPI/VTT.
    No what I'm trying to say is the difference between the RAM voltage and the VCCIO voltage can't go more than .5v. So the example you wrote about RAM at 1.65v and the VCCIO being at 1.2v is perfectly fine and probably healthier than mine, I just didn't want to up the VCCIO anymore to close the gap (and based on your quote from the other website, it would cause more heat) but of course I could drop the VCCIO however then I would want to just drop the RAM to 1.5v. Idk, perhaps I could up the VCCIO a bit more since it is only showing as yellow in BIOS instead of red, for how extreme it is. Sigh, I wish this was easier.
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    No what I'm trying to say is the difference between the RAM voltage and the VCCIO voltage can't go more than .5v. So the example you wrote about RAM at 1.65v and the VCCIO being at 1.2v is perfectly fine and probably healthier than mine, I just didn't want to up the VCCIO anymore to close the gap (and based on your quote from the other website, it would cause more heat) but of course I could drop the VCCIO however then I would want to just drop the RAM to 1.5v. Idk, perhaps I could up the VCCIO a bit more since it is only showing as yellow in BIOS instead of red, for how extreme it is. Sigh, I wish this was easier.
    I have the HyperX sticks in my work machine set to 1.5v to avoid the frustration. They are 1.65v sticks I believe, 1600mhz.

Note I set them to 1333mhz as well to be safe. Not like 1333 vs 1600 makes much difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have the HyperX sticks in my work machine set to 1.5v to avoid the frustration. They are 1.65v sticks I believe, 1600mhz.

Note I set them to 1333mhz as well to be safe. Not like 1333 vs 1600 makes much difference.
    Think I should drop the VCCIO back down too then?
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you want to do what I do for the sake of laziness, probably. lol

Keep in mind my work machine isn't overclocked, even though its a 2500K. :|

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want to do what I do for the sake of laziness, probably. lol

Keep in mind my work machine isn't overclocked, even though its a 2500K. :|
    You are a sinful undead mage!!! Why isn't it OC'd?! D:

I really don't see how else I could stop the BSODs... I mean, sure I could drop back down to 4.4GHz.... but then I wouldn't be able to look myself in the mirror again. XD rofl
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    You are a sinful undead mage!!! Why isn't it OC'd?! D:
    Because it's not mine!

10+ Year Old Account
    Because it's not mine!
    oh pff, you could totally.... no... you should(!)..... no.... why don't you(?)..... no......

Have you offered the idea of OCing it a bit to them? :P
    "A flower.

Deleted
    No what I'm trying to say is the difference between the RAM voltage and the VCCIO voltage can't go more than .5v.
    I'm skeptical as to why that would cause issues though. Any source (except the one you linked)?

For reference, I'm running my RAM at 1600Mhz at 1.65V (which they are rated for) and I got my VCCIO at 1.17V.