Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    So long as there's not less customization choices than WoW, I'll be perfectly content.

    What with the 200 hours of personal story gameplay and similar interaction with companions to what we've seen in Bioware's other games.

    One question: Why most people compare sw tor to wow why can you compare to other games, even single player games, like gothic, witcher, morrowind, oblivion,dragon age ?
    Or do you really play only one game ? That would be just stupid since gaming have so much to offer.
    It is like eating all your life one kind of cheese by saying that this cheese is good so I have no desire to eat anything else.

    I say variety spices up life.

    Cheers,

  2. #22
    From what ive seen its one of the most extensive character creator in a MMO, wayyyyy more than wow more even that DA:O so im not worried

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Seweryn View Post
    One question: Why most people compare sw tor to wow why can you compare to other games, even single player games, like gothic, witcher, morrowind, oblivion,dragon age ?
    Or do you really play only one game ? That would be just stupid since gaming have so much to offer.
    It is like eating all your life one kind of cheese by saying that this cheese is good so I have no desire to eat anything else.

    I say variety spices up life.

    Cheers,
    And most of us say that having an 50 different freckle patterns isn't a top concern at all. I don't need 500 different facial expressions, 200 body types, 200 eye patches for a mirkula(or w/e they are), or 150 lekku combination. It isn't important, at all. At most I want to have enough customization to make my guy not look like an idiot because to me the level of hyper customization you enjoy is a waste and not at all important to me in a game. I want powerful stories and game play not to spend 2 hours play dress up/barbie before I play the game.

    Using your cheese example: You're more like the person who wouldn't buy a clearly better tasting cheese because the package was the same color for 10 years and never changed, but man that cheese that tastes like someone who stepped in dog crap did the river dance on it sure is sweet because it has 100 different packaging options so you can buy the cheese wrapped in your favorite color.

    I want my variety in a place where it actually matters to my long term enjoyment of the game.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

  4. #24
    I'd like to see something like what EVE Online has. IMO that should be the standard for any new mmo coming out.

  5. #25
    The Insane smrund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In the state of Denial.
    Posts
    15,366
    Quote Originally Posted by mirodin View Post
    Not at all, the unique class stories+ the ~200 hour of gameplay to develop your char will be more then enough for ppl. Also with the available modifications to weapons and armor you will have more options to look different then in WoW.
    "Developing your story" does nothing if there are a hundred clones of you within arms reach. It's hard to feel attached to even the deepest character when they're just another cookie-cutter.

    That said, I think while character customization isn't going to be up to the level of say, AION or APD(I think that's it), it's going to be enough to get a wide variety of looks, even if the differences are subtle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    Sometimes life gives you lemons, other times life gives you boobies. Life is always better with more boobies.
    Blizzard removed my subscription from WoD's features, it'll be added sometime later.
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

  6. #26
    Pandaren Monk Shamburger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    1,771
    I am... content with the amount of customizable options at character creation.

    Do I think that this is an integral part of the game? Yes, especially for a game where you will actually spend a great deal of time actually LOOKING at your character. It's not like WoW (example) where you will spend 99% of the time staring at your characters ass. Think, pretty much every conversation in the game will have you looking at your character from all angles, most likely the front.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    I want my variety in a place where it actually matters to my long term enjoyment of the game.
    Exactly. IMO,and most likely the large % of people who will play this game, I'd rather see the development time put into interesting content, story, and game mechanics. Not adding another 275 character creation combinations.

    Want your character to be unique? Pick the day of the month you were born on, choose your race and sex of your character. Hit the random button = the day of the month you were born on.

    I guarantee you will be a special little butterfly.

  8. #28
    Pit Lord
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    2,392
    Quote Originally Posted by Osskssa View Post
    From what ive seen its one of the most extensive character creator in a MMO, wayyyyy more than wow more even that DA:O so im not worried
    Not even close, really.

    I'm guessing you never played City of Heroes.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

  9. #29
    Field Marshal Neodawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    73
    As long as the customization options are more extensive then World of Warcraft's I'll be satisfied.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Osskssa View Post
    From what ive seen its one of the most extensive character creator in a MMO, wayyyyy more than wow more even that DA:O so im not worried
    I'll give you more than DA:O, but there are loads of MMOs with much more extensive character creation options. Hell, the best charater creator I've ever seen is from an MMO (EVE). Sure, SWTOR's beats WoW by a mile, but that's not saying a whole lot.

    Anyway, how good it is is beside the point really, with all story and choices you have, your character will be truely unique and yours no matter what they look like, just like in other Bioware games.

  11. #31
    Here is how I see it.

    WoW----------------------SWTOR------------------------------------------Rift

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Seweryn View Post
    One question: Why most people compare sw tor to wow why can you compare to other games, even single player games, like gothic, witcher, morrowind, oblivion,dragon age ?
    Or do you really play only one game ? That would be just stupid since gaming have so much to offer.
    It is like eating all your life one kind of cheese by saying that this cheese is good so I have no desire to eat anything else.

    I say variety spices up life.

    Cheers,
    Because I am content with WoW's character customization, and therefore if SWTOR has at least the amount that WoW has, I will be content with it too.

    Calm down there, bro.

  13. #33
    Pit Lord philefluxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Silicon Highway
    Posts
    2,301
    Quote Originally Posted by Profyrion View Post
    Not even close, really.

    I'm guessing you never played City of Heroes.
    Hahaha this is exactly where I was going. Not that ToR needs the CoH expansive customization options, but I think CoH has, to date, the most advanced customization out there.

    ---------- Post added 2011-10-17 at 11:28 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
    Here is how I see it.

    WoW----------------------SWTOR------------------------------------------Rift
    Well depending on which side is greater, but I dont think Rift really has that much customization. They have very subtle differences in a lot of teh options and its very common to have male Kalari looking very similar and the Eth are even worse. I have several Eth characters, I use the random button, and they all end up looking the same with different hair styles. Even though you have all presets in WoW, there are several presets to combine to get a semi unique look.

    ---------- Post added 2011-10-17 at 11:32 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Seweryn View Post
    One question: Why most people compare sw tor to wow why can you compare to other games, even single player games, like gothic, witcher, morrowind, oblivion,dragon age ?
    Or do you really play only one game ? That would be just stupid since gaming have so much to offer.
    It is like eating all your life one kind of cheese by saying that this cheese is good so I have no desire to eat anything else.

    I say variety spices up life.

    Cheers,
    Sorry but that is a silly question for many reasons but Im only going to outline two:

    SWTOR is a MMORPG, WoW is a MMORPG so we are comparing apples to apples, not apples to oranges like you mentioned.

    WoW has been the MMORPG standard for how many years now? Its the most successful game out there to date, why wouldn't you compare a new game in the same genre to the king? You will also see a lot of comparisons to Rift. Why? Because its #2. It wouldn't be very relevant to compare SWTOR to SWG or to EQ2 now would it? Or even Aion or AoC for that matter.
    Last edited by philefluxx; 2011-10-17 at 06:35 PM.

  14. #34
    The Insane smrund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In the state of Denial.
    Posts
    15,366
    Quote Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
    Here is how I see it.

    WoW----------------------SWTOR------------------------------------------Rift
    To put things into context, there are levels as well as ranges of character customization tools.

    I would say that Champions Online provides more variety than Rift, but also utilizes a more primitive system. Swtor provides more specific variety, but less subtle variety, and more racial diversity than Rift. APB and GW2 would probably rank even beyond Korean-game levels of customization. AION certainly outstrips Rift in terms of customization, but falls behind in racial variety and many of the changes are too subtle to be noticed easily.

    To realistically map all of these things we'd probably need a 3-dimensional scale of Racial choices, overt variety(such as ahead with horns vs a head w/o) and subtle customization. Plotting that all would would be complicated, but certainly provide a much more accurate mapping vs a simple linear scale.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    Sometimes life gives you lemons, other times life gives you boobies. Life is always better with more boobies.
    Blizzard removed my subscription from WoD's features, it'll be added sometime later.
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

  15. #35
    MMOs typically avoid massive character customization on the scale of single player RPGs because of the hardware strain it would put on your system. Think about it--if you have 30 different face textures and 30 noses and 30 eyes and 30 cheekbone positions and 30 lip shapes and 30 ears and 30 foreheads then you end up with hundreds of thousands of different combinations. Every time you enter a city and you look at a group of 50 players standing about, the game has to load up each of those unique faces and that takes its toll on your system. If you have fewer combinations then its more likely that the texture you need is already loaded into memory (because someone else had a similar face) and therefore the game uses less hardware resources.

    They can make a Character Creation system as in-depth as Dragon Age and Mass Effect but the minimum system requirements will go up and less people would be able to play.
    Torethirnyi, Blackwing's Bane - Orc Enhancement Shaman - <Conviction> of Korgath - (H) 9/13 25-man - Retired from WoW in 4.1
    Champion Torethyr Sarin - Cyborg Vengeance Juggernaut - <Conviction> of Prophecy of the Five - 10/10 Nightmare Mode - Retired

    Nothing makes you hate MMOs more than having played MMOs.

  16. #36
    Bloodsail Admiral Supajayare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Some place
    Posts
    1,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Torethyr View Post
    MMOs typically avoid massive character customization on the scale of single player RPGs because of the hardware strain it would put on your system. Think about it--if you have 30 different face textures and 30 noses and 30 eyes and 30 cheekbone positions and 30 lip shapes and 30 ears and 30 foreheads then you end up with hundreds of thousands of different combinations. Every time you enter a city and you look at a group of 50 players standing about, the game has to load up each of those unique faces and that takes its toll on your system. If you have fewer combinations then its more likely that the texture you need is already loaded into memory (because someone else had a similar face) and therefore the game uses less hardware resources.

    They can make a Character Creation system as in-depth as Dragon Age and Mass Effect but the minimum system requirements will go up and less people would be able to play.
    ^ Basically this, MMo customization and Single player rpg customization are worlds apart because of the toll on your system.

  17. #37
    The Insane smrund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In the state of Denial.
    Posts
    15,366
    Quote Originally Posted by Supajayare View Post
    ^ Basically this, MMo customization and Single player rpg customization are worlds apart because of the toll on your system.
    American/Western gamers need to get over the idea that computer games need to cater to systems over a decade old. Asian games have it right that the visuals of the game are more important than players who refuse to run any OS newer than Windows 98. This single issue is one of the main reasons that all Western-made MMOs lack customization, have many low-poly items and often look horribly cartoony and tacky.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    Sometimes life gives you lemons, other times life gives you boobies. Life is always better with more boobies.
    Blizzard removed my subscription from WoD's features, it'll be added sometime later.
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    And most of us say that having an 50 different freckle patterns isn't a top concern at all. I don't need 500 different facial expressions, 200 body types, 200 eye patches for a mirkula(or w/e they are), or 150 lekku combination. It isn't important, at all. At most I want to have enough customization to make my guy not look like an idiot because to me the level of hyper customization you enjoy is a waste and not at all important to me in a game. I want powerful stories and game play not to spend 2 hours play dress up/barbie before I play the game.

    Using your cheese example: You're more like the person who wouldn't buy a clearly better tasting cheese because the package was the same color for 10 years and never changed, but man that cheese that tastes like someone who stepped in dog crap did the river dance on it sure is sweet because it has 100 different packaging options so you can buy the cheese wrapped in your favorite color.

    I want my variety in a place where it actually matters to my long term enjoyment of the game.
    I think you are wrong because this is mmo, you want to feel unique and when you have tons of people looking the same it takes something from overrall experience.
    It is why Bethesda games are so people because nearly all character you create are unique due to the massive modification capabilities.

    If you ever played oblivion for example that is large number of modifications option of your character. For example hair modifications:

    You have 3 basic colors, from range 0 to 255 so you there is a very large number of hair color possibilities.

    P.S.

    WoW have some great aspects but it has some dull aspects too.

    I would prefer if they would take great aspects of wow and not the dull. For example character creation screen is one those things that is horrible of wow so why no take them from games that did it better.

    If you want to compare it too other diffrent mmo, Guild Wars 2 is fine example since it has a very nice modification options of the look of your character.

    And if sw tor has at least the same lvl I am fine.

    ---------- Post added 2011-10-17 at 10:56 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    American/Western gamers need to get over the idea that computer games need to cater to systems over a decade old. Asian games have it right that the visuals of the game are more important than players who refuse to run any OS newer than Windows 98. This single issue is one of the main reasons that all Western-made MMOs lack customization, have many low-poly items and often look horribly cartoony and tacky.
    I agree with. I didn't invest in phenomen 955 with no reason you know. I want to use it's power. And my graphic card power too.

  19. #39
    The Insane smrund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In the state of Denial.
    Posts
    15,366
    Quote Originally Posted by Seweryn View Post
    I agree with. I didn't invest in phenomen 955 with no reason you know. I want to use it's power. And my graphic card power too.
    Exactly, and particularly if I can turn off max terrain settings and run maximum character appearances and not even seen an FPS loss, we've got a problem. Shadows? huge graphics power sink but largely irrelevent to overall game appearance. View distance? Pretty but also a minimal factor. Water effects? Alright now we're starting to talk about some visuals. Lighting? More the merrier. Many Western games, WoW, CoH, Champions, Rift, ect... I can max out the relevant character settings and my computer can shrug it off like a soft breeze.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    Sometimes life gives you lemons, other times life gives you boobies. Life is always better with more boobies.
    Blizzard removed my subscription from WoD's features, it'll be added sometime later.
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

  20. #40
    I don't think there is any excuse for a poor character creation system. An mmo that came out in 2003 has a better character creator than any of the newer ones (or from what I've seen, the ones coming out). If they can do it, then surely mmos like SWTOR, GW2, TSW, or whatever else is coming out can come up with one just as good.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •