Deleted

[enhancement] is there a mastery breakpoint where avalanche>landslide?

landslide is just a fixed amount of AP, but avalanche scales with mastery. could there be a hypothetical breakpoint where the X damage from avalanche is better than the 1K AP from landslide?

Sim it

Give yourself absurd amounts of mastery and compare it. But I don't think that there will be a breakpoint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Genganger View Post
    Often I just open the fridge instead of turning the lights on in the kitchen. I like that.

I believe that there is a breakpoint, but unreachable with normal gear levels. You'd have to sim it to find an actual number.

Deleted
    yeah, but isn't this something that's perfectly calculatable by applying a formula and stat weights?

Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    yeah, but isn't this something that's perfectly calculatable by applying a formula and stat weights?
    How can that be easy? Landslide affects everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Genganger View Post
    Often I just open the fridge instead of turning the lights on in the kitchen. I like that.

Last time I tried to work it out it was something like 25,000 mastery.

Compare Landslide to unenchanted and note the difference. Then compare Avalance with that and figure out what number you'd have to multiply the Avalanche damage with for it to surpass the DPS you gained from Landslide (compared to no enchant). That'll give you an idea of whether the levels of mastery required are realistic. You'll still have to do three sims (Landslide, Avalanche, no enchant), but you won't have to play around with mastery values in the simulator.

Note that 1k AP increases in value as you gain more haste, crit and (amusingly) mastery.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

avalanche is a very decent enchant and upgrading both weapons was only a 400dps increase for me and so i waited until troll heroics before getting them.

I remember a thread last month about the same and then Rouncer said 18k mastery (now 25k).
    So I don't think you should ever worry.

For pvp, avalanche was nice since it consumed grounding totem and also warrior's spell reflect when it procced. Not sure if it still does.

Quote Originally Posted by woopytywoop View Post
    avalanche is a very decent enchant and upgrading both weapons was only a 400dps increase for me and so i waited until troll heroics before getting them.

I remember a thread last month about the same and then Rouncer said 18k mastery (now 25k).
    So I don't think you should ever worry.

For pvp, avalanche was nice since it consumed grounding totem and also warrior's spell reflect when it procced. Not sure if it still does.
    18k is probably right. Doesn't really matter much since it was a value that was definitely out of reach for this expansion.

[/COLOR]
    landslide is just a fixed amount of AP, but avalanche scales with mastery. could there be a hypothetical breakpoint where the X damage from avalanche is better than the 1K AP from landslide?
    Hypothetical is right. The amount is something like 10 times the amount of Mastery we're capable of getting this expansion.

Man, I know it's unreachable, but imagine how hard Avalanche would hit with 18k Mastery.

Maybe two expansions down the road we'll reach that much, and I'll screenshot some big nasty Avalanche crits.
    || Yuuzu - 85 Draenei Enh Shaman || Soulu - 85 Worgen Arms Warrior ||
    || Revii - 85 Draenei Blood DK || Convivia of <Bacchanalia> of Durotan US ||

The river flows outside of town/ Away from dirt, away from crowds/
    And if I could follow it to the sea/ I'd wash the sweat right off of me/
    So break my legs and weigh me down/ Throw me in, but I won't drown/
    I'll float away, go down the stream/ The river leads outside this city.

Million Dead - Carthagio Est Delenda

Quote Originally Posted by Seranov View Post
    Man, I know it's unreachable, but imagine how hard Avalanche would hit with 18k Mastery.

Maybe two expansions down the road we'll reach that much, and I'll screenshot some big nasty Avalanche crits.
    As you level up mastery will take more rating to make a point so if it takes 18k now it may take 180k (I would assume unreachable) at 90 or something along those lines.
    Pyrotix Destruction Warlock
    stalk and kill 6/8 Heroic 25 man apply today

Deleted
    are they talking about 18K mastery RATING or just 18K mastery? in the latter case, avalanche would hit for 45K % more, or 450X as hard. so it would hit for 202.5K. if you think that's much: lava lash would hit for something ridiculous like 9.3M.

are they talking about 18K mastery RATING or just 18K mastery? in the latter case, avalanche would hit for 45K % more, or 450X as hard. so it would hit for 202.5K. if you think that's much: lava lash would hit for something ridiculous like 9.3M.
    Mastery RATING.

18k MR = 100 mastery = 270% bonus damage
    Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Rouncer View Post
    18k is probably right. Doesn't really matter much since it was a value that was definitely out of reach for this expansion.
    ^this unfortunately. Also, by the time we are able to reach that sort of number in rating, it's more likely that there will be a new melee enchant that grants a more significant buff.

Rating, but they're both so far out of reach that making the distinction doesn't do much.