Amazon.com vs amazon uk???? Please help

Guys am I ok to order from amazon.com from the uk? Or is there some hidden charges? Computer components seem to be way cheaper over the pond, I mean you can pick up the i52500k for only 200 dollars which saves you almost 40 pound compared to the uk site, am I missing something here?

You'll probably get slapped with some extra postage and packaging charges. When I ordered from the Blizzcon store last year they stated a price for P&P: then later I got a letter saying I had to pay an extra charge to FedEx. Was about £12 or so.

So be prepared for that sort of thing to happen.

Deleted
    Shipping might be more expensive?

Shipping says 4.99 dollars world wide, just seems a bit to good to be true, hmmm Mabey there dollar to pound exchange rates suck?

Not sure how it is in the UK, but your shipment might get stuck in customs for a while, and you might also end up paying hefty custom taxes. If you want my opinion, just order from amazon.co.uk, it will most likely be way faster and cheaper in the end.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Yeah, you will get hit w/ shipping fees, based on size and weight! I would say order something cheap from Amazon like a book or something and see what happens before dropping big bucks! Then that should give you a rough idea of shipping because a book takes up about the same weight and/or volume as a retail CPU box!

The shipping will probably be more than what you would save. Shipping from US/Can to the UK is really expensive. I bought something form ThinkGeek a friend in the UK, the item cost about $40 US, the shipping was almost $50 and it wasn't a very heavy or large package. You should be able to check what the shipping cost will be before finishing your order.

Also they may not ship to the UK, there is a fair bit of stuff on the US Amazon that they won't ship to Canada.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Get it from the uk store.

If you buy it from the US store you will have to deal with exchange rate (1 U.S. dollar = 0.635808749 British pounds), extra shipping, and you will be paying hefty duty fees.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Right thanks for the info guys, gues it's true what they say, if something looks to good to bo ttrue then it probaly is

Remember this. It's hit and miss ordering over the pond. You MAY be charged with import tax which is around 22% of the items worth. But majority of the time it works out cheaper if you even get stung by the import tax.
    PEWPEW

So ever though amazon states the final price at the checkout then they may just get back in touch and say oh we need more money off you for import tax? Surely the final price they state should be the price you pay

Quote Originally Posted by drew09dalt View Post
    So ever though amazon states the final price at the checkout then they may just get back in touch and say oh we need more money off you for import tax? Surely the final price they state should be the price you pay
    Amazon's bill will say exactly how much you will pay to Amazon. After that, your shipment is left at the mercy of your government's customs agency.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-im...tails/6053769/

Dunno how accurate that site is though, and yes I realize you aren't buying a video card, but they didn't have an option for a processor.

In case the link goes down, it says the total price would be £155.86.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

When you buy computer parts from USA to EU you need to pay ~20-25% import taxes for the computer parts and the shipping. (Here in Finland the import tax is same % as VAT.)

Legal way to avoid import taxes is having an relative buy stuff in the USA and mail it to you free of charge, but depending on how good or bad day the customs officer is having you might have to actually provide all necessary documentation to prove it's legit gift from legit relative.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

"When you buy computer parts from USA to EU you need to pay ~20-25% import taxes for the computer parts and the shipping. (Here in Finland the import tax is same % as VAT.)"

You pay two things. Customs, which is the same all over the EU, and usually rather low (5%, or something like that). Then you have to pay VAT, which varies from country to country. All this comes on top of shipping charges, insurance, etc. You don't have to pay the sales tax in the US though.

If your stuff comes in a small envelope with no special markings and/or the customs officer is bored or overworked, the shipment might slip through the net, but there is no guarantee for that.

If you order low value items, they officially don't bother with collecting taxes and customs, but I think you are above that level when you buy a processor.

Consider also that it might be much easier to make use of any warranty if this needed if you buy from your own country.
    Last edited by Leobald; 2011-10-17 at 11:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the seller too I have ordered stuff on the us amazon that were shipped from china.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the item is sold by Amazon, you'll be better off buying it from the UK site. (And if it's not (IE: Marketplace), I wouldn't bother buying it.)
    1) You'll actually be able to return the item...
    2) Often the warranty will be invalid in another country.
    3) There's less chance of damage to the item during transit. (Item's are often checked for delivery damage at the warehouse. If you buy from the states it gets shipped or flown... straight to you with no intermediary check.)

For the sake of £40, I'd buy from a UK site.

Check out ones like:
    www.novatech.co.uk
    www.scan.co.uk
    www.aria.co.uk
    www.amazon.co.uk
    www.cclonline.com
    www.dabs.com

I'd also wager that it will cost you more than £40 in import duty etc....
    Last edited by Djinni; 2011-10-18 at 07:53 AM.

Deleted
    My biggest advice is, watch out for any import tax on electronic goods. Good friend bought a good pair of headphones for 40 euro.. got stung with a 60 electronic import tax, this is Ireland tho..